Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 10:58 AM

113 posts, read 286,834 times

Advertisements

Ive been in Naples for 4 years (almost) and am moving next month. If you look at my past threads I lamented over this decision TO move to Naples and here we are! I must say, most of you wise folks turned out to be correct as much as I didnt want to see that! My husband changed positions in the same field 3 times in 4 years! Why? Lies, lies and more lies from the dealerships he worked at! We did financially fine since Im in real estate and have done very well but the truth is, we just dont like it in Naples. NO roots in the community, NO history to speak of, MAJOR issues with healthcare -- I can tell you some VERY scary stories from first hand experience at NCH! High prices on pretty much everything since the tourists are captive and have no choice to pay 2 times higher for groceries at the Publix on 41 vs the Publix off Immokalee. Trust me, its true. A friend of ours is a manager at Publix and he said NEVER shop where the tourists shop because they do mark the food up! Oh and during season -- no sales. The whole area just feels very superficial and transient. The only things we liked were the things God put here -- the Gulf, the weather (most of the time) the palm trees and the wildlife. But other than that, not so much. NO ONE calls it home here. Everyone else references a "home" somewhere else. I also dont know how a community can thrive with NO middleclass. To me it just seems that there is a lot missing in Naples.

So the moral of this story is, as much as you want to see Naples as Paradise, LISTEN to the locals! They do know what they're talking about! As a "local" now myself, feel free to PM me for any questions about the area. I WILL give you a real life answer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 11:10 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,093,069 times
Not saying a word!

Old 08-28-2016, 01:01 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,412,269 times
Lol. I'm not sure how many years qualifies one as a "local" but surely four years is at least two decades short.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:13 PM

121 posts, read 214,249 times
I'm sorry Naples didn't work out for you and hope wherever you end up brings you great comfort and joy. But based upon what you describe liking and disliking, I'm not so sure you dislike Naples so much as the part of Naples you purchased in.

Out here in Logan Woods we're far enough out where we get out of the tourist areas and there are tons of middle class to upper middle class folks in it for the long term. But we're also close enough in where we don't have to pack a lunch to go to Home Depot. If we purchased somewhere that our neighbors were gone 7 months out of the year and Home was up in, "X" and we were paying the, "Tourist Tax" I suspect we'd be unhappy as well? But Logan Woods? We love it here.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:16 PM

30,459 posts, read 21,309,635 times
This is not a good state anymore. Weather is boring and we are seeing less and less rain, traffic is so bad, we are getting bad people from other states and so on.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:29 PM

35,721 posts, read 21,087,398 times
Bye Felicia. What a wonderful state it would be if only the happy transplants with Florida stayed! I went to PA, NJ, MD. And hated it, where am I ? Home in Florida. Weeeee and will never leave, travel but never move. I love Florida!
The state gets miserable, with miserable people ---if not happy- go home !

Old 08-28-2016, 01:34 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,451,854 times
Bye

Old 08-28-2016, 02:07 PM

126 posts, read 269,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbapasto View Post
Ive been in Naples for 4 years (almost) and am moving next month. If you look at my past threads I lamented over this decision TO move to Naples and here we are! I must say, most of you wise folks turned out to be correct as much as I didnt want to see that! My husband changed positions in the same field 3 times in 4 years! Why? Lies, lies and more lies from the dealerships he worked at! We did financially fine since Im in real estate and have done very well but the truth is, we just dont like it in Naples. NO roots in the community, NO history to speak of, MAJOR issues with healthcare -- I can tell you some VERY scary stories from first hand experience at NCH! High prices on pretty much everything since the tourists are captive and have no choice to pay 2 times higher for groceries at the Publix on 41 vs the Publix off Immokalee. Trust me, its true. A friend of ours is a manager at Publix and he said NEVER shop where the tourists shop because they do mark the food up! Oh and during season -- no sales. The whole area just feels very superficial and transient. The only things we liked were the things God put here -- the Gulf, the weather (most of the time) the palm trees and the wildlife. But other than that, not so much. NO ONE calls it home here. Everyone else references a "home" somewhere else. I also dont know how a community can thrive with NO middleclass. To me it just seems that there is a lot missing in Naples.

So the moral of this story is, as much as you want to see Naples as Paradise, LISTEN to the locals! They do know what they're talking about! As a "local" now myself, feel free to PM me for any questions about the area. I WILL give you a real life answer

I certainly agree that "all that glitters is not gold." Naples is not for everyone.

After anxiously watching for a whole year our home being built, we recently sold our Riverstone home after 17 months. In fact, the buyers close on it tomorrow. We have built a beach house in northeast Florida and look forward to another new start.

Last edited by InPlaneSight; 08-28-2016 at 02:34 PM..

Old 08-28-2016, 03:07 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,935,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToGo View Post
Lol. I'm not sure how many years qualifies one as a "local" but surely four years is at least two decades short.

Meh, in FL 4 yrs is damn near a native anymore. So transient, in and out. A rental car if you will

Old 08-28-2016, 05:12 PM

1,631 posts, read 1,716,459 times
Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you.

We have been here for 2 years and like it a lot. Sure there are some issues, but it's way better than where we came from (Illinois).

Tired of the summer weather, hoping to leave for a while next year. Other than that, it's cheaper to live here than Illinois, the most financially messed up and corrupt state in the US.

Hard to beat the weather here at least half of the year and the Gulf of Mexico is still nice in Collier.

I'm sure there are people who complain about most every place in the world and yet others who live there think it is perfect. Different strokes, different folks.

Hope you find happiness wherever you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples