Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 10:53 AM

113 posts, read 286,465 times

Advertisements

I would disagree on Longshore. That is a very "aged" community. Go through the community Club at any time of the day and you will see what I mean. To be helpful, Boca Palms, in North Naples, is young. Its a friendly community with very low HOA fees. Lots of families in there. In fact they are the majority. And the grade school is rated number one in the area. That would be a great place to look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 12:18 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,044,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbapasto View Post
Inplanesight-
I hope your new start pays off! We dont always make the right decisions but at least we try, right? I dont know if we will ultimately stay forever in our hometown but I can say we will always keep a home there. We are interested in other areas of the country as well but will sit tight for awhile and let life marinate. I really think Naples takes on a VERY different feel when you LIVE there vs vacationing there. I was just hoping to help other folks who may be on the fence.
Hi sbapasto,

You do what's best for you and your family. Florida has changed quite a bit and the weather is hotter than ever. Don't let some of these rude people on this thread bother you, rather let it encourage you that you are making the right choice. Naples is a Tourist place (for the most part) and will always be a retirement city (imo). Congrats on your decision and the best to you!

Old 09-06-2016, 12:54 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,164,414 times
Quote:
Ive been in Naples for 4 years (almost) and am moving next month. If you look at my past threads I lamented over this decision TO move to Naples and here we are! I must say, most of you wise folks turned out to be correct as much as I didnt want to see that! My husband changed positions in the same field 3 times in 4 years! Why? Lies, lies and more lies from the dealerships he worked at! We did financially fine since Im in real estate and have done very well but the truth is, we just dont like it in Naples. NO roots in the community, NO history to speak of, MAJOR issues with healthcare -- I can tell you some VERY scary stories from first hand experience at NCH! High prices on pretty much everything since the tourists are captive and have no choice to pay 2 times higher for groceries at the Publix on 41 vs the Publix off Immokalee. Trust me, its true. A friend of ours is a manager at Publix and he said NEVER shop where the tourists shop because they do mark the food up! Oh and during season -- no sales. The whole area just feels very superficial and transient. The only things we liked were the things God put here -- the Gulf, the weather (most of the time) the palm trees and the wildlife. But other than that, not so much. NO ONE calls it home here. Everyone else references a "home" somewhere else. I also dont know how a community can thrive with NO middleclass. To me it just seems that there is a lot missing in Naples.

So the moral of this story is, as much as you want to see Naples as Paradise, LISTEN to the locals! They do know what they're talking about! As a "local" now myself, feel free to PM me for any questions about the area. I WILL give you a real life answer

where (state, city) is it better for you? Where were you and were you happy there?

Old 09-06-2016, 04:14 PM

6,410 posts, read 4,905,721 times
As far as the healthcare goes it was a deal breaker for us. My brother is a physician there and he said the hospital system gets a 1 star out of 5. If you are young and don't need care its OK and if you are there part-time (snowbird) its OK, but to live there full-time and need healthcare its a risky proposition and you have to travel to Ft Lauderdale for decent care. If you don't have your health what do you have?

Old 09-06-2016, 08:22 PM

35,688 posts, read 21,042,380 times
That is a real problem for Florida. The sick n dying snowbirds flock to Florida. I have been to hopt during off season. See dr 15/20 min. During winter. 2 hrs They not hiring pt Drs n nurses for snowbirds

Old 09-06-2016, 08:32 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,835,280 times
Not every place is perfect for every person. You didn't like it here, but the majority of us do. I can relate, we moved to Southern California years ago and hated it. Left after one year, but lots of people think it is Heaven there.

But for you to condemn Naples just based on your experiences is wrong. Those were just what you felt, and we can give you a bunch of examples of how it is not that way. 4 years does not an expert make.

Hope you find happiness in your new home State.

Don

Old 09-07-2016, 06:17 AM

731 posts, read 767,615 times
Quote:
I would disagree on Longshore. That is a very "aged" community. Go through the community Club at any time of the day and you will see what I mean. To be helpful, Boca Palms, in North Naples, is young. Its a friendly community with very low HOA fees. Lots of families in there. In fact they are the majority. And the grade school is rated number one in the area. That would be a great place to look.
We've been to Longshore quite a few times looking at houses. Yes, there are retirees there. There are also MANY families. From asking around the community we've been told that it has the most bus stops in Collier County. Drive around and you will see there are MANY basketball hoops there. It seems to be a very nice community to raise a family in. JMHO

Old 09-07-2016, 09:13 AM

Thundarr-

I am young-ish (48) but I do have a condition with my heart. SO I do need a good Dr around. Ive really had issues finding anyone who seems proficient and caring unfortunately. I have also been given the wrong medication twice by the nurse for the Dr due to a language barrier. The nurse is from Cuba and he misunderstands -- even the pharmacist said its a regular problem. I just cant risk that.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:19 AM

Don-
I dont think my comments are "condemning" at all. This is a perfect example. You go to an open forum and express your opinion. YOU dont have to agree with my opinion. And it doesnt make my opinion "wrong." And by the way, how about if I said how dare you "condemn" California after one year. You have no right! That would be ridiculous, right? Expressing an opinion is NOT condemning.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:34 AM

6,410 posts, read 4,905,721 times
I am 67 and my wife is 56 and we are in reasonably good health and we have access to decent healthcare up here. Naples is too seasonal for high quality healthcare. Cleveland Clinic opened a branch in 2005 and closed it in 2010. You have to be able to attract top MD's and Naples doesn't offer that much in comparison to Tampa, Miami or Orlando or other larger cities with lots to do. As I have maintained, Naples is fine if you are a snowbird and have access to healthcare up North or are a young family who may not need it for awhile. If you are older and need care be prepared to drive 90 minutes to Ft Lauderdale. My brother is a physician in Naples and has seen this all first hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples