Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 12:48 PM
M2N M2N started this thread

32 posts, read 170,457 times

Advertisements

Anyone live there that can give me an opinion on what it is like?

Or anyone else have any info on this community?

Even if you've only driven past the neighborhood...what is it like?

I'm debating whether living there would be a good thing or bad.

The association dues are probably outrageous... they probably give you very little to no creative control over the exterior appearance of your home or lawn/landscaping... but I'm wondering if there really is a nice sense of community in that neighborhood that might be the pay off for all the "negatives" of getting into that development.

Also... it appears small in some of the pics...like the pool and shops that they have coming in are actually walkable. But when I looked at a map plan of the development it looked pretty big...and the promise of "shops/pool only a 5 minute WALK" may not exactly be the truth. And the pool looks a bit small considering how many homes they have planned for that development. Looks like they are still building.

I'd hate to buy into the place and then find out everything is crowded and not worth the association dues.

Thanks for any info or input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 02:11 PM
kar

179 posts, read 753,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2N View Post
Anyone live there that can give me an opinion on what it is like?

Or anyone else have any info on this community?

Even if you've only driven past the neighborhood...what is it like?

I'm debating whether living there would be a good thing or bad.

The association dues are probably outrageous... they probably give you very little to no creative control over the exterior appearance of your home or lawn/landscaping... but I'm wondering if there really is a nice sense of community in that neighborhood that might be the pay off for all the "negatives" of getting into that development.

Also... it appears small in some of the pics...like the pool and shops that they have coming in are actually walkable. But when I looked at a map plan of the development it looked pretty big...and the promise of "shops/pool only a 5 minute WALK" may not exactly be the truth. And the pool looks a bit small considering how many homes they have planned for that development. Looks like they are still building.

I'd hate to buy into the place and then find out everything is crowded and not worth the association dues.

Thanks for any info or input!
Westhaven is a master plan community with an assortment of high end homes. It is totally beautiful. There are restrictions in what you can do and can not do to the outside of your home. The reason for this is to keep the community up to a certain standard. Being originally from Florida, this was very common place. Over all if you can live with the rules you won't go wrong with Westhaven.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:29 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,545,726 times
It is a great community. There are a lot of activities and the HOA has a very active calendar of events for all ages (infants through seniors). It is fairly diverse (as diverse as you can get when houses start at over $400K, but there are young families, established families and empty-nesters).

I don't think the association dues are outrageous for what you get. The HOA includes your cable and internet so that is $60/mo right there. The residents' club has great exercise classes as well as work out facilities so you don't need a gym membership. It also has movies on Friday nights and other social activities and the pools are amazing (adult lap pool, a lazy river type pool with zero entry and a baby pool). There are also lighted tennis courts, playgrounds and walking/bike trails plus although it looks a bit like Disney when you drive in, the landscaping is amazing. As the development is built out they are supposedly adding more pools in various locations. Right now it is truly walkable and you can reach everything the club house and what will be the new town center pretty easily (except in this heat when walking to your neighbor's house is life threatening). As for the HOA covenants as to what you can do to the outside of your house they don't seem overly restrictive to me and just require approval. You can still do landscaping etc....

Last edited by septimus; 08-15-2007 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: added info

Old 08-15-2007, 02:42 PM

Thank you for your replies!

About how much per month are the association dues?

Our HOA isn't too bad...we still need approval for "major" type landscaping improvements or changes to the color of our house. There are other rules that I don't mind...can't park your camper or boat in the driveways... things like that. So I don't mind minimal HOA rules.

Is the landscaping done before you move in? Or are the new owners responsible for plantings and such?

They do need to add pools and other shopping as the development progresses... the one pool area they have will not be big enough.

When do they plan to be finished with this entire development?

The work out facilities... is it like a real gym with dozens of stairmasters, treadmills, etc? Is there a spa?

What is the "kids corner" for? Is it a babysitting service or a place for parents and kids to spend time?

I'm still intrigued... but hesitant. I think it might be better to just build and put in our own pool than have to share limited facilities.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:50 PM

156 posts, read 680,012 times
The pool is huge...it looks like a pool that you might find at a resort..very nice.
Shops? well there are not any yet...there is a plan to build.
The area is very nice...reminds me of main street in Disneyland.
The houses are unique and beautiful...but small lots..you are looking at your neighbors side walls and some windows.
It is not for everyone...but very active, happening place!

Old 08-15-2007, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyes721 View Post
It is not for everyone...but very active, happening place!
Looks active! Which would be our number one reason to be there... for the kids. We have two toddler aged children and safety and schools are a top priority in our choice for a home. It would be nice to walk outside to a park with the kids and see other families out and about.

We live in MN now... and in a very good neighborhood...but people here are a bit reserved and keep to themselves. No crime or problems in the neighborhood but you rarely see kids playing in groups at the park...even with parents in tow.

"Disney-esque" is a good way to describe Westhaven. Looks like Barney the purple dinosaur might live there! LOL! Not exactly "real" to me...but if the kids love it ... it might just be on our radar for a place to live...

If Dh takes this new job and we relo... :-)

Thanks everyone for your help!

Old 08-15-2007, 03:20 PM

About how much per month are the association dues? the highest dues are for the "estate lots" which basically are the ones with driveways and they are $190/mo dues are based on lot frontage so the alley houses pay less.
Is the landscaping done before you move in? Or are the new owners responsible for plantings and such? Landscaping is done before you move in. If a plant dies though you are responsible for replacing it (unless your house is still under warranty) and the HOA was pretty flexible this past spring when the big freeze killed a lot of people's plants about how fast they had to be replaced.

They do need to add pools and other shopping as the development progresses... the one pool area they have will not be big enough. The current pools is quite large and never really full to capacity except when they have pool parties and such, but there are "plans" to build more pools as the 'hood is developed

When do they plan to be finished with this entire development? I *think* the completion date is 2014

The work out facilities... is it like a real gym with dozens of stairmasters, treadmills, etc? Is there a spa? The gym isn't huge, but machines always seem to be available and the classes are great. No spa though..

Looks active! Which would be our number one reason to be there... for the kids. We have two toddler aged children and safety and schools are a top priority in our choice for a home. It would be nice to walk outside to a park with the kids and see other families out and about. Southernland has donated land to the county for a new elementary school which supposedly is going to be built for the 2011 school year. There are a tonne of toddlers in the neighborhood as well as older kids (so babysitters are plentiful too)

We live in MN now... and in a very good neighborhood...but people here are a bit reserved and keep to themselves. No crime or problems in the neighborhood but you rarely see kids playing in groups at the park...even with parents in tow. WH is surreally friendly (but that is my yankee suspiciousness speaking). People wave when they driveby, talk to each other at the pool, the parks, etc.

What is the "kids corner" for? Is it a babysitting service or a place for parents and kids to spend time? Kids' Corner offers sitting in the morning so you can work out (you have to stay on the Residents' Club facility while using it) you can use it just to play with your kids anytime and they have playgroups in there too.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:56 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,631,058 times
They have an intranet too, which is residents-only and really connects the community. Everything from opinion forums to babysitter listings to event promos.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:47 PM

162 posts, read 550,694 times
Default RE: septimus

Thank you for taking the time to reply in such detail. Its great to hear first hand from a resident. If you don't mind me asking, have you had any problems/opinions about the ongoing construction?

Old 08-16-2007, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpellatiro View Post
Thank you for taking the time to reply in such detail. Its great to hear first hand from a resident. If you don't mind me asking, have you had any problems/opinions about the ongoing construction?
Actually, SLC does a really good job making sure that construction doesn't disrupt residents too much. They've just added another access road for construction traffic so they aren't on one of the main roads. Also they make sure the builders are as courteous as possible. If a resident complains about litter and such SLC is quick to remind the builder they need to clean up daily, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville