Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2011, 07:58 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,327,304 times

Advertisements

Rutledge Hill/Nashville Children's Theater

Watch out! A dragon!!! Oh...that's just the iconic symbol of the Nashville Children's Theater, the oldest professional children's theater company in America.

The new building is quite nice...if you have kids and haven't been here, you're really missing out!

The rest of the complex

A view down Middleton St., with an old Vanderbilt laboratory on the left, and an old fire station in the center. The Gulch skyline peeks in from a distance.

A view towards the Cumberland River, with the Korean Veterans Memorial Bridge (aka, Gateway Bridge), and LP field. The steam plant can be seen in the midground, in front of the bridge.

Holy Smokes, where's the Batman Building?? The Pinnacle is completely obscuring it!

The massive steel skeleton of the Music City Center is slowly coming into form. All in all, it should have an enormous impact on the SoBro area.

From here you can really see just how much Rutledge Hill rises over the Cumberland and downtown.

Most of the old houses in this area are now businesses. I noticed a number of architecture firms using the buildings.

More old "houses."

I can't help but like the decoration here...

Downtown "peeks" through

More downtown...from this angle it looks as though there are very few skyscrapers.

Rolling Mill Hill...another project that has suffered with this economy. Hopefully things will pick back up, and soon.

More of Rolling Mill Hill.

Our fire department predates the Civil War.

Current Fire Department Headquarters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 08:42 PM

For those who missed Chihuly at Cheekwood last year:

This picture gave me a faint recollection of Seurat's A Sunday on La Grande Jatte

Sorry for the low quality of the photos...they were taken from my phone. It takes decent pictures...but it's really just not the same as using a real camera.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:23 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,469,257 times
Wow...great pictures. Especially of the Chihuly exhibit. Had I known it was that beautiful at night, I'd have made time to get out there.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:20 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,946,186 times
I love this thread! Nashville is a beautiful city.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 04-07-2011, 09:43 AM

815 posts, read 2,017,476 times
http://thumbp9-bf1.thumb.mail.yahoo.com/tn?sid=1222359408&mid=ALXTi2IAABuqTZ3N%2BwaYoVCqqm g&midoffset=1_9662496&partid=2&f=1612&fid=Inbox (broken link)
Percy Priest Lake at Long Hunter State Park on the boarder of Davidson and Ruthford counties, where Hermitage, Antioch and Lavergne meet.
http://thumbp9-bf1.thumb.mail.yahoo.com/tn?sid=1222359408&mid=ALLTi2IAAFcZTZ3PZwQhlXAvsKM& midoffset=1_9663999&partid=2&f=1612&fid=Inbox (broken link)

Percy Priest Lake at Long Hunter State Park looking toward Antioch from Hermitage/Lavergne Shore

http://thumbp9-bf1.thumb.mail.yahoo.com/tn?sid=1222359408&mid=ALPTi2IAAFNJTZ3QOQi%2BwTw6VP M&midoffset=1_9664993&partid=2&f=1612&fid=Inbox (broken link)

Percy Priest Lake at Long Hunter State Park looking toward Antioch/Lavergnehttp://thumbp9-bf1.thumb.mail.yahoo.com/tn?sid=1222359408&mid=ALHTi2IAAMeVTZ3R%2BgucTi14id U&midoffset=1_9666482&partid=2&f=1612&fid=Inbox (broken link)

http://thumbp9-bf1.thumb.mail.yahoo.com/tn?sid=1222359408&mid=ALHTi2IAAKxrTZ3OzgTCJzgV4Ak& midoffset=1_9662998&partid=2&f=1612&fid=Inbox (broken link)

Bridge at Long Hunter State Park at Couchville Lake/Far Eastern Davidson County

Old 04-07-2011, 11:46 AM

Downtown Franklin!

I took a quick walk around a small area of downtown and snapped a few photos...this is a good sampling of the town square, but only a taste of the historic neighborhoods in town. Franklin has one of the best preserved historic neighborhoods in the state IMO.

I started down Columbia Ave, where Franklin has been restoring the streetscape, sort of "extending" downtown to the south. Not all of the buildings are exactly beautiful or "historic", but I applaud their efforts to make it a more attractive entrance to downtown.

The new Franklin Transit Authority building. Franklin's public transportation is in it's infancy right now, but they are one of the few suburbs that actually offers it. As the city continues to grow, I expect the public transit will as well.

A look down Columbia Ave, towards the south. As you can see, there is new landscaping, sidewalks, and streetlights. Notice the brick store signs...they have done this for all of the businesses for several blocks. Even the car repair shops and gas stations have them.

The new Franklin Police Station *cue COPS theme music*

A look at Five Points, the beginning to the old downtown district. The Historic Franklin Presbyterian Church is on the right.

The front of the Presbyterian Church

Old St. Paul's Episcopal Church, completed 1834. It is the oldest Episcopal Church in Tennessee.

St. Paul's historical marker

Marker dedicated to the brave men and women who have served Williamson County.

Cumberland Presbyterian Church

Houses down Main Street (Carter's Creek Pike)

Gotta love the iron fence.

More down Main Street.

The historic Franklin Theatre, which has been closed for several years. It is undergoing extensive renovations (with the aid of local donors) and is set to reopen soon.

A look down Main Street. Traffic may seem light now, but in the evening it will be crowded with traffic...both cars and pedestrians.

I love this shot of the back of the buildings on Main...it's not just the front side that is utilized...as you can see, there numerous decks where people can sit out and enjoy the weather.

A view from the other side of Main. While there are a number of chain stores, like Chico's on the corner (as well as Starbucks, Ben & Jerry's, and the Mellow Mushroom), a majority of the stores are still local mom and pop's.

A cute little historic home on South Margin St.

A not so little home just down the road...

Homes of every size, shape, style, and color can be found in Historic Franklin.

This has "Southern Antebellum" written all over it. Well, not literally.

A view of the beautiful homes down 3rd Ave.

Not so historic "Brownstones" at 2nd and Church. I'm not sure what to think of these...they are very, very nice, and not too gaudy to overpower the historic urban fabric of the area, but they just don't quite seem to fit with "Downtown Franklin" to me. Still, it could be a lot worse.

The inner courtyard of "The Brownstones"...I have to admit, I like this a lot better than much of the cookie cutter development going on in Franklin.

Back to Main Street...this is looking down the length of the business district from The Square.

A look at one of the corners of The Square. Interestingly, there seems to be a bank on every corner.

Main Street shops.

Wide shot of The Square, with the Confederate Monument in the center.

Closeup of the monument.

Shot of the front of the courthouse, with the (Free!) public parking garage in the background. I think one of the main reasons why Downtown Franklin has managed to remain so vibrant is because of the relative ease of parking. There are plenty of parking spaces, both on the street and in the garages...and there are no meters. A smart decision by the city to keep downtown attractive to guests.

This is only about 1/3 of the pictures I took...but this was all I could upload. I may try to get the rest done at a later time.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:23 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,469,257 times
Great photos!

Old 04-08-2011, 11:10 AM

65 posts, read 111,166 times
nashvols, wonderful pix! thank you for posting them.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
Great photos!
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckeepups View Post
nashvols, wonderful pix! thank you for posting them.
Thanks, guys. I like to take photos when I can. I'll try to get more photos out there later...maybe get some 'hoods that are often talked about, but rarely seen on here.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:45 PM

It's hockey time in SMASHVILLE!!!!

It's nice to get a close view of the players during the pregame warmup. We got some bad news that Martin Erat, the team's points leader, is out with an injury...but we got some good news in that Steve Sullivan, "Sully", (bottom left of pic) was back from injury after a long absence.

More of the warmup...Captain Shea Weber (beard, center), prepares to take a shot.

Now we head up to the nosebleeds (332), where the game is merely a rumor. At least we get a cool view of the street below. Unfortunately I couldn't get a clear view...but I was also trying to stay out of the way of the crowds.

GOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!! *cue corny Tim McGraw video* Preds up 2-0 on the evil Columbus Blue Jackets! Great individual effort by forward Matt Halischuk.

AND IT'S OVER! WE WIN 4-1!

Important notes about tonight:
-Tonight's win clinched a spot in the playoffs
-Pekka Rinne (goalie) stopped 44 of 45 shots
-Patric Hornqvist scored 2 goals and added an assist.
-Tonight's sellout (17,113) helped boost the overall attendance average for the year (41 games) to 16,118. That's a nice cushion over the 14,000 minimum average that was set when the team was having financial issues. Over 660,000 have attended Preds games this year, which of course is a tremendous boost to the Downtown economy. For the record, that is more than the total number the Titans bring downtown in a season. Folks...this is why I think we need to try to work out a deal to bring the Nashville Sounds downtown. Continue to bring more people downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville