Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2020, 07:39 PM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I often wonder about vultures getting the dead squirrels. I do see vultures circling over my neighborhood quite often, but have never seen one come down and scoop up a dead animal. Though, on occasion I'll see a dead squirrel in the road, and then, like, the next day it's gone, and I wonder if a vulture got it, or did a neighboring homeowner clean it up?
I've seen them cleaning up larger road kill like geese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2020, 07:14 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,321,061 times
Two days ago spotted a bald eagle in a tree on my south property line.

I have numerous trail cameras around the yard and just viewed one that had deer everywhere, in one of the videos there was 7 deer.

Old 12-16-2020, 08:04 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,053,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post

Filled up the bird feeder this AM, about a quart, gone in an hour and a half (blue jays). Gonna try a different feeder tomorrow, not really hopeful that it will stop the jays, but it will be fun seeing if it stumps them a little. It's meant to be squirrel proof. Squirrels haven't been a bother so far this winter, or at all last winter.

New feeder looks like this but with a deeper bowl and the two pieces closer together. So far the chickadees have figured it out, they perch on the edge then hop to the center rod to grab a seed. https://www.amazon.com/Droll-Yankees.../dp/B00004ZB4T

Old 12-16-2020, 06:37 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
An experience of a lifetime! Incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieboy43 View Post
Was Moose Hunting Northern Canada few years back. Walked into calf moose vs Wolves confrontation. Wolves were circling the calf moose. The wolves didn’t notice me coming up behind them. The cow moose (was calling her calf moose) was helpless nearby. The wolves were close, circling for the kill. However one wolves detected my scent. Then wolves dispersed. The calf was tired, and didn’t run away from me, but walked up to the cow moose. The two moose paused and acknowledged my presence (human like). Then disappeared into thick Brush. Total time was approximately 5 minutes. The moose will live another day. The Natural world is harsh, unforgiving. Majority Hunters are stewards of nature and conservation.

Old 12-17-2020, 03:58 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieboy43 View Post
Was Moose Hunting Northern Canada few years back. Walked into calf moose vs Wolves confrontation. Wolves were circling the calf moose. The wolves didn’t notice me coming up behind them. The cow moose (was calling her calf moose) was helpless nearby. The wolves were close, circling for the kill. However one wolves detected my scent. Then wolves dispersed. The calf was tired, and didn’t run away from me, but walked up to the cow moose. The two moose paused and acknowledged my presence (human like). Then disappeared into thick Brush. Total time was approximately 5 minutes. The moose will live another day. The Natural world is harsh, unforgiving. Majority Hunters are stewards of nature and conservation.
You saved the day.

Old 12-22-2020, 06:44 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,439,526 times
The fruit is gone now, and I don’t know which I enjoyed more...watching a couple of does & a yearling munch away at the apples, then gracefully hopping the fence; or, watching my Doberman climb an apple tree, pick an apple, throw it up in the air like a ball, then crunch it with her powerful jaws and eat it.

I keep my dogs inside when the deer come, but it’s entertaining to watch a big dog climb a tree as if she was a cat.

Old 12-25-2020, 08:56 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,175,378 times
Red shouldered hawk has started using our backyard bird feeding area as his personal hunting ground. Cardinal was the victim today!

Old 12-26-2020, 09:33 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times
Spotted this mixed group of wading birds while golfing on Christmas Eve; a Roseate Spoonbill, Snowy Egret and Wood Stork foraging in the same shoreline.

Here's a better shot of the spoonbill.

Old 12-26-2020, 09:40 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,412,860 times
What a cool variety of birds. Love the pink spoonbill.

Old 12-27-2020, 06:15 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,412,860 times
Disturbingly, just witnessed a large gray cat with a lion's cut tail kill a mourning dove eating his breakfast in my yard. It happened very quickly before I could stop it. My own cat is not a hunter and has never killed anything, so it was a shock to see this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature