Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2021, 10:30 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times

Advertisements

Today, I harvested my blueberries. They were netted, otherwise there wouldn’t be any. I swear, the birds were circling me like vultures while I was picking them. Now, I’ll leave the netting off, and there are still a lot left for the birds.

I’m happy to share, but I want some for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2021, 03:06 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
3 Ravens searching for bugs on the grass while a small buck meanders nearby them.

Old 06-09-2021, 04:15 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,918,148 times
In spite of the major ice storm that brought a late start to birds returning, I have quite an assortment of Returnees and some new “peeps”

My Red Bellied Woodpeckers now have a Red Headed Woodpecker cousin visiting. I have seen a male Baltimore Oriole, Indigo Buntings, Mockingbids, Tufted Titmouse, Blue Jays, Pileated Woodpecker, Cardinals, Robins, Carolina Wrens, Doves, and of course he bane if the bird feeder, Cowbirds and Grackles.

The Barn Swallow kids are growing fast and comical as ever.

I think my entire family of Purple Martins made it home. They were 8 weeks late getting here, I was afraid I might have lost them in the ice storm.

I have a pair of Crows and some Red Tail Hawks. So far, everyone gets along. The Crows eat birdseed alongside the Cardinals on the ground.

The only disagreeing I see is when the Red Bellied Woodpeckers chase the Cowbirds away from the feeder and that suits me just fine, lol. The cowbirds and grackles are hogs. They can have the feeder emptied out in less than three hours.

Old 06-09-2021, 05:56 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,536,978 times
I think the squirrel that I'm always chasing away from my bird feeder is getting less scared of me. When I see it on the feeder I open my window and start saying, "Hey! Get outta there that's for the birds!" or some such. It used to run away as soon as I opened the window. But not anymore. Now I have to go out my back door to chase it away. I usually put a squirrel-proof feeder there but not always.

Old 06-10-2021, 07:15 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,040,764 times
The animals are hiding now. It's too hot for them I guess.

Old 06-10-2021, 01:09 PM

5,714 posts, read 4,291,854 times
The annual murder of the baby robins has commenced. Every year the stupid robins build a nest in the pines in front of my house. Every year a broad-winged hawk comes and murders their babies amid much screaming and squawking by mom and dad. SMH. Today was the day.

Old 06-10-2021, 02:40 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Now that the critters and birds around my yard have gotten acclimated to the waterfall and pond I had installed, I have a lot more wildlife coming to the yard. The small birds are using the topmost part of the waterfall for a birdbath; the shallow pond half is full of tadpoles; and there was a young groundhog drinking from the shallow half this morning. When he saw me looking at him from the porch window he startled and then ran to the nearest maple tree and up the trunk about 20 feet. I've never seen a groundhog actually run right up the trunk of a tree before, but he did it. He waited in the branches about 15 minutes and then came down the other side, head first. I didn't know they were so agile! Oh, and the shallow half of the pond (there's a large rock separating the deep and the shallow parts) also attracted a 3 foot rat snake for a drink. I hope he liked the taste of tadpole. I'm going to have a bumper crop of bullfrogs if the majority survive.

Old 06-11-2021, 05:39 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,536,978 times
I FINALLY saw a hummingbird in my yard today!

I think I might have seen one a couple days ago but wasn't sure. Might have been a big bug that flew by my window, or it might have been a hummingbird (probably the same one I saw today). I just caught a glimpse of it in the corner of my eye, but the one I saw today was definitive.

Old 06-12-2021, 06:14 AM

3,507 posts, read 765,449 times
i guess not all birds are very bright .. i have a 46 ford hubcap turned upside down near my feeder that serves as drinking water and birdbath .. most birds know how to use it .. i have one robin who walks around the cap numerous times then sticks its head in and does the feather shuffle as if it had gotten wet all over .. it even sees other birds jumping in but just cant get the jist of it ,, i really miss hearing my whippoorwills and hoot owls .. there is so much background noise even in the dead of night and some people have built a big house in the general direction the calls came from .. my mockingbirds do a pretty good mimic from time to time.

Old 06-12-2021, 06:44 AM

5,714 posts, read 4,291,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973PINTO View Post
i really miss hearing my whippoorwills .

That surely must be the first time those words have even been spoken...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature