Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2024, 06:50 PM

15,833 posts, read 6,539,575 times

Advertisements

Here in Bellevue, WA we had some unseasonal March snow fall with our cherry blossoms. I doubt it will stick around for long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2024, 07:01 AM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
There has been a large (thousands) flock of Tundra swans on the Missippi River by dam #13 north of Fulton, IL recently.

Old 03-05-2024, 01:06 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
There has been a large (thousands) flock of Tundra swans on the Missippi River by dam #13 north of Fulton, IL recently.
It must be an incredible sight. Are they extremely loud in those numbers? That's what I'm picturing.

Old 03-05-2024, 03:37 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
It must be an incredible sight. Are they extremely loud in those numbers? That's what I'm picturing.
Especially when taking off! The pressure exerted on the wings of such a heavy bird during takeoff is huge. Their flight feathers vibrate, producing a sort of buzzing rattle. Trumpeter swans are even heavier and more powerful. The pitch of the rattle their wings make is different from tundras, and even louder. Swan vocalizations tend to be quiet compared to a similarly-sized flock of geese.

I lived in a house owned by a wildlife refuge in eastern WA for a couple of years. The house was located on the shore of a large river system wetland complex. A flock of 30K+ Canada geese roosted on one of the nearby marsh islands every night. Every day that flock would rouse and scatter across thousands of acres of grainfields to feed. Their flight path passed right over the house. Every morning began just before dawn with a distant quiet gabble as the birds started waking up preparing for their commute. Then a crescendo as they took off or something spooked them. The goose music roared louder as they approached. Then the roof of the house began thudding as all those birds released their internal ballast. Poop just rained down on it . Maintenance staff had to pressure wash the place from rooftree to foundation every year to get rid of it. The constantly-fertilized lawn was always brilliant green and grew like blazes. You had to watch every step as you navigated the walkways and you never left anything you cared about outdoors overnight. Thank goodness the place had a garage!

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-05-2024 at 05:05 PM..

Old 03-05-2024, 04:49 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,258,156 times
The spring peepers were peeping LOUDLY last night and the night before. It's a lot chillier today, and I haven't heard them this evening. I love the sound of peepers.

Old 03-05-2024, 09:53 PM

44,355 posts, read 20,059,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
The spring peepers were peeping LOUDLY last night and the night before. It's a lot chillier today, and I haven't heard them this evening. I love the sound of peepers.

I just love the sound of peepers in the spring. They came out in our area just a few days ago. Their songs are LOUD and beautiful!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 03-06-2024, 10:57 AM

30,523 posts, read 16,217,604 times
Red winged black birds are back. I love their song.

No peepers yet.

Old 03-07-2024, 04:23 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times
I've seen a lot of fantastic things in nature but never anything like this. Thank you for describing it so well. We don't have wild swans in Maine so seeing them has been limited to a domestic pair at a distance, and Boston Public Garden. This is something I need to make a point of experiencing.

I live between a lot of lakes so have Canada geese flying back and forth each morning and evening. Nothing like 30,000, but a joy to hear in the distance. It doesn't matter what I'm doing, I'll stop to watch them come into sight over the tree tops. This winter, because it's been so warm and there's so little (none now) snow, not all of the geese migrated. It's easy to see them on the coast in open streams. I've enjoyed them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Especially when taking off! The pressure exerted on the wings of such a heavy bird during takeoff is huge. Their flight feathers vibrate, producing a sort of buzzing rattle. Trumpeter swans are even heavier and more powerful. The pitch of the rattle their wings make is different from tundras, and even louder. Swan vocalizations tend to be quiet compared to a similarly-sized flock of geese.

I lived in a house owned by a wildlife refuge in eastern WA for a couple of years. The house was located on the shore of a large river system wetland complex. A flock of 30K+ Canada geese roosted on one of the nearby marsh islands every night. Every day that flock would rouse and scatter across thousands of acres of grainfields to feed. Their flight path passed right over the house. Every morning began just before dawn with a distant quiet gabble as the birds started waking up preparing for their commute. Then a crescendo as they took off or something spooked them. The goose music roared louder as they approached. Then the roof of the house began thudding as all those birds released their internal ballast. Poop just rained down on it . Maintenance staff had to pressure wash the place from rooftree to foundation every year to get rid of it. The constantly-fertilized lawn was always brilliant green and grew like blazes. You had to watch every step as you navigated the walkways and you never left anything you cared about outdoors overnight. Thank goodness the place had a garage!

Old 03-07-2024, 03:54 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I've seen a lot of fantastic things in nature but never anything like this. Thank you for describing it so well. We don't have wild swans in Maine so seeing them has been limited to a domestic pair at a distance, and Boston Public Garden. This is something I need to make a point of experiencing.
According to several birding websites, tundra swans are spotted in south central Maine during winter.

Old 03-07-2024, 05:21 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,174,568 times
Great Blue Heron checking out my Koi pond......he/she has had some success there in the past....not happening this year.....tented!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature