Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2024, 04:16 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times

Advertisements

The weather right now is cold and windy (temp highs hovering around 20F, lows to 5F, NE gusts to 30). Harsh conditions for the little guys. There's been a huge flock of siskins (100+) with a few redpolls mixed in mobbing my feeders.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-28-2024 at 05:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2024, 08:46 PM

15,833 posts, read 6,539,575 times
Early in the morning darkness today I was woken up by a pack of coyotes just out back. They make the strangest yipping howls, then they all go silent.

Old 03-01-2024, 04:59 AM

1,557 posts, read 1,157,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Saw a huge flock of somethings in a yard behind the house across the street from me. Couldn’t make out much detail, they were backlit.
So I got my binocs out to look at them when they finished their synchronized flying display and landed in the mostly bare tree they were flying around. Sure enough, their sillhouettes told me they were Cedar Waxwings. Always loved them, never saw them until I moved south.
Oh, Cedar Waxwings.. so absolutely beautiful. Their feathers always look so smooth.. I wonder what it would feel like to touch one. Lucky you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Early in the morning darkness today I was woken up by a pack of coyotes just out back. They make the strangest yipping howls, then they all go silent.
I've always thought that coyotes make all the strange combination of sounds in order to sound like there are more of them than there really are. Not sure if that is biologically correct.

In my neck of the woods, over the past few weeks I've been privileged to be hearing so many beautiful song birds as they start all their early spring activities. It may still be cold, but the sun is higher in the sky and they know it.

Old 03-01-2024, 07:06 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
I've always thought that coyotes make all the strange combination of sounds in order to sound like there are more of them than there really are. Not sure if that is biologically correct.
You're correct. I once thought there must be a huge pack in my backyard. They carried on like a frat party... all two of them.

Old 03-01-2024, 01:02 PM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
It’s been raining all afternoon. Out the window I can see the top of a tall tree, and there is a flock of small birds, probably finches or wrens, flapping their wings and seeming to frolic in the rain. It’s been dry here, so I guess they’re taking advantage of the moisture. Robins are in the yard looking for worms.

Old 03-01-2024, 09:13 PM

20,865 posts, read 9,532,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It’s been raining all afternoon. Out the window I can see the top of a tall tree, and there is a flock of small birds, probably finches or wrens, flapping their wings and seeming to frolic in the rain. It’s been dry here, so I guess they’re taking advantage of the moisture. Robins are in the yard looking for worms.
Birds do that sometimes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqL_u9EyP08

Old 03-03-2024, 11:22 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
Another mild day today up into the sixties with sun. Hardy Minnesotans are out in tee shirts and shorts.

DH is putting up the wren house.

I stepped out on the deck and saw the air was full of little flying bugs. Don't think I've ever seen that in March.

Old 03-03-2024, 07:50 PM

20,865 posts, read 9,532,948 times
Rocky the Raccoon is completely, totally unafraid of me. He's up on my tray bird feeder, and I literally spent the past 10 minutes trying to shoo him away, first through the window, then I went out my back door to try to shoo him away, and he just sits there munching away, trying his best to ignore me. I've gone, like, less than 10 feet away from him and he still just ignores me. I thought about grabbing the hose and giving him a good spray but I'm not sure how he'll react. For all I know he'd ignore that too. At one point I grabbed my guitar and strummed it loudly which got him to go away a little bit, but not very far, and as soon as I went back in he went back to the feeder.

I put most of my feeders away these days because of him, but there's usually a little stuff left in the tray feeders. Would be nice if he left that alone.

Old 03-04-2024, 04:10 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I put most of my feeders away these days because of him, but there's usually a little stuff left in the tray feeders. Would be nice if he left that alone.
If you really want him to move on, clean up all of the food including what falls to the ground.

Old 03-04-2024, 05:36 PM

2,713 posts, read 2,214,139 times
It must be mating season for the Hawks. They have been crazy noisy and following or chasing each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature