Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2024, 02:53 PM

23,320 posts, read 18,890,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
My neighbor said she saw two coyotes chasing a deer across their back yard. I don't like this- the coyotes are getting to brave around here. I see them almost every day.
Because you have very little say in the matter and none of them care what you like, I'd suggest you alter your view of the roles these creatures are playing. Those coyotes are keeping the local deer fit! Tends to be good for both.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-16-2024 at 03:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2024, 06:55 PM

11,081 posts, read 6,903,040 times
Yes, do a search for :Angel Island mule deer/mountain lion huge controversy back in the '70s."

Old 01-17-2024, 04:22 AM

1,559 posts, read 1,160,618 times
Quote:
My neighbor said she saw two coyotes chasing a deer across their back yard. I don't like this- the coyotes are getting to brave around here. I see them almost every day.
Reuben, as much as I understand and empathize with you, you should know that by feeding the deer, you are also feeding the coyotes.

Old 01-17-2024, 04:48 AM

2,720 posts, read 2,220,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Because you have very little say in the matter and none of them care what you like, I'd suggest you alter your view of the roles these creatures are playing. Those coyotes are keeping the local deer fit! Tends to be good for both.
My main concern is that it occurred in their back yard. They have very small children than play back there.

Old 01-17-2024, 05:36 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,549,405 times
Quote:
My main concern is that it occurred in their back yard. They have very small children than play back there.
As long as people continue to coddle the deer by feeding them, the coyotes will come into backyards for their easier meals. Contributing to a child being hurt should be something to think long and hard about.

Old 01-17-2024, 04:07 PM

23,320 posts, read 18,890,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
As long as people continue to coddle the deer by feeding them, the coyotes will come into backyards for their easier meals. Contributing to a child being hurt should be something to think long and hard about.
Yep! Why is it that people insist on feeding/encouraging/coddling local wildlife but then whine about that same wildlife as soon as it becomes inconvenient or a menace? Then they expect state F&G to handle the problem they created! Don't lure deer with feed. You'll also encourage their predators. If you want to observe deer there are places you can go to do that.

Old 01-18-2024, 07:27 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,298,375 times
Saw a wolf lope across the road about 100 feet in front of me

Old 01-18-2024, 07:41 AM

16,905 posts, read 16,138,779 times
Quote:
So sorry to burst your romantic bubble, but that second bird might be sick with whatever killed the first one and simply too weak to get itself off the ground. Disease, starvation, hypothermia, parasites (which can overwhelm a winter-weakened host), who knows. Unfortunately, by congregating birds, feeders facilitate contagious disease spread. Avian influenza and others:

https://blog.vinsweb.org/songbird-di...20or%20feeders.

If I spotted obviously sick or dying birds around one of mine, I'd take the feeder down, sterilize and dry it thoroughly, clean up any seed and hulls on the ground underneath it, bury or burn dead birds (wear disposable gloves) and stop feeding birds there for a while. When you think about it, it wouldn't be an evolutionary advantage for a surviving member of a pair to put itself at risk that way. While some of NA's native Fringillidae mate for life, many don't. They may not stay together year round but they may remain in the same non-breeding season flock. They might reconnect each spring or choose another mate.
OR the post about the finch could be absolutely correct.

Old 01-18-2024, 05:42 PM

2,720 posts, read 2,220,898 times
Quote:
Yep! Why is it that people insist on feeding/encouraging/coddling local wildlife but then whine about that same wildlife as soon as it becomes inconvenient or a menace? Then they expect state F&G to handle the problem they created! Don't lure deer with feed. You'll also encourage their predators. If you want to observe deer there are places you can go to do that.
You worry about your backyard and I will worry about mine. I can't say much more without getting banned.

Old 01-18-2024, 10:27 PM

3,975 posts, read 4,264,938 times
I grew some sunflowers over the summer. They were only about 3 feet tall. I left them in the garden because they had seedheads. They looked all scraggly and kind of ugly, but I figured the birds would care. Sure enough, during a snowstorm the other day, birds were pecking at the sunflower seeds like crazy. A male cardinal was hanging upside down! And a few redwing blackbirds were pecking away, too. I think I will plant more sunflowers next summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature