U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-25-2011, 12:21 PM
 
6,486 posts, read 6,336,320 times
Reputation: 1273

Advertisements

Is morality absolute? Is there such a thing as absolute morality if we just evolved to believe a certain way?

Can you say that anything I believe in is right or wrong?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-25-2011, 12:31 PM
 
Location: MN
378 posts, read 672,942 times
Reputation: 267
Evolutionary Epistemology (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)
Evolutionary Game Theory (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2011, 12:32 PM
 
6,486 posts, read 6,336,320 times
Reputation: 1273
In your own words, how do those apply to this?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2011, 12:41 PM
 
242 posts, read 224,056 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Is morality absolute? Is there such a thing as absolute morality if we just evolved to believe a certain way?

Can you say that anything I believe in is right or wrong?


no, literally speaking, nothing is really right or wrong, it varies for every person.
that said, based on human evolution and lessons learnt over man's history, there is a certain set of things which majority of human beings perceive as being right or wrong [for example most normal people believe stealing something that is not yours is wrong], and that is what society accepts as the standard.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2011, 12:44 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
31,763 posts, read 27,655,004 times
Reputation: 12317
So Calvinist, you're still hoping to replace logic with emotions and this time around by making them directly comparable. Anyway, why do you think that evolution is impossible?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2011, 12:53 PM
 
242 posts, read 224,056 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
So Calvinist, you're still hoping to replace logic with emotions and this time around by making them directly comparable. Anyway, why do you think that evolution is impossible?

lol he believes that?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2011, 01:02 PM
 
Location: MN
378 posts, read 672,942 times
Reputation: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
In your own words, how do those apply to this?
Well, that depends on how you are describing "absolute morality", doesn't it?

In a nutshell, evolutionary epistemology attempts to explain how human knowledge might ultimately be derived from a process of natural selection.

This does reject the idea that the scientific method is irrelevant to the understanding of morality. But I don't see how that undermines moral absolutism. Do you?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2011, 03:01 PM
 
Location: Sinking in the Great Salt Lake
13,144 posts, read 21,656,583 times
Reputation: 14085
Morality is a man-made idea that just doesn't exist independently from human thought. That seems to be a most difficult concept for evolution nay-sayers to wrap their heads around.

It still doesn't mean morality is irrelevant, however. The "rules" we've created exist today because they proved to be a successful survival strategy for our kind during our evolution as a species. In other words... "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2011, 03:03 PM
 
6,486 posts, read 6,336,320 times
Reputation: 1273
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince40000 View Post
no, literally speaking, nothing is really right or wrong, it varies for every person.
that said, based on human evolution and lessons learnt over man's history, there is a certain set of things which majority of human beings perceive as being right or wrong [for example most normal people believe stealing something that is not yours is wrong], and that is what society accepts as the standard.
So can you say definitively that Hitler was wrong?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Morality is a man-made idea that just doesn't exist independently from human thought. That seems to be a most difficult concept for evolution nay-sayers to wrap their heads around.

It still doesn't mean morality is irrelevant, however. The "rules" we've created exist today because they proved to be a successful survival strategy for our kind during our evolution as a species. In other words... "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

How about you? Was Hitler wrong? what would you base your opinion on?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2011, 03:08 PM
 
15,921 posts, read 19,309,039 times
Reputation: 7675
Was Hitler wrong?

Depends on who judges him.....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:40 AM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top