Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 05:14 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,955,298 times

Advertisements

Mountain Lion Calls Los Angeles’ Griffith Park Home - ABC News

Quote:
Los Angeles’s Griffith Park, a popular destination for hiking and cycling enthusiasts, is known for its abundance of wildlife. But a new creature, a 110 lb mountain lion, is calling the park home.

“P-22″ is the first confirmed mountain lion sighting in Griffith Park, and the 22nd lion the National Park Service has collared there. First spotted in March, P-22 was captured and collared soon after. But the GPS stopped working, and scientists have not been able to capture him again, though they know he’s still in the park.

Scientists say that P-22 is from the Santa Monica Mountains, approximately 40 miles away.
Cool. I'll keep an eye peeled for him next time I'm hiking in Griffith Park...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 03:07 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
I was hiking there at the end of March. I can definitely see how a mountain lion could sort of melt into the terrain.
As long as he is able to find non-human food, I suppose everything is copacetic.
And according to the article, he might not be hanging around that long anyway.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I was hiking there at the end of March. I can definitely see how a mountain lion could sort of melt into the terrain.
As long as he is able to find non-human food, I suppose everything is copacetic.
And according to the article, he might not be hanging around that long anyway.
Yeah, Griffith Park is part of a natural wildlife corridor between the Santa Monicas in the west and the Verdugos/San Gabriels to the east. I'm sure there are enough deer and small mammals in the Griffith Park area to support a mountain lion, at least for some time.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:25 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
While I wouldn't want to chance it, human attacks are rare. Bipeds are not what they look for. Four-legged creatures that run away from them signal food. Also, hike with a guy in the 6'2" to 6'4" range - attacks on large men are even rarer.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
While I wouldn't want to chance it, human attacks are rare. Bipeds are not what they look for. Four-legged creatures that run away from them signal food. Also, hike with a guy in the 6'2" to 6'4" range - attacks on large men are even rarer.
It wouldn't bother me -- odds of hundreds of million or so to one don't sway me from an otherwise enjoyable activity.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:23 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
It wouldn't bother me -- odds of hundreds of million or so to one don't sway me from an otherwise enjoyable activity.
I've lived in NorCal, too, and that's probably what I was referring to. The Gold Country foothills of the Sierra Nevada seem to have a good share of these critters, and there have been some encounters.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:59 PM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
These in this area are being forced to interbreed as they can't find mates outside of their own family. They really need a land bridge or tunnel for the cats.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
These in this area are being forced to interbreed as they can't find mates outside of their own family. They really need a land bridge or tunnel for the cats.
I would guess there is regular movement between the Santa Monica Mountains (of which Griffith Park is the most eastern extent) and the Verdugo Mountains, which has several mountain lions. It's a couple miles of urban landscape between the two, and another couple of miles between the Verdugos and the San Gabriels. But without tunnels or other means, as you mention, I am sure that passage can be hazardous.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:06 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
I would guess there is regular movement between the Santa Monica Mountains (of which Griffith Park is the most eastern extent) and the Verdugo Mountains, which has several mountain lions. It's a couple miles of urban landscape between the two, and another couple of miles between the Verdugos and the San Gabriels. But without tunnels or other means, as you mention, I am sure that passage can be hazardous.
Just saw this on 20/20 last night. California wants to build a tunnel underneath the highway so critters can pass safely from one side to another. A mountain lion was killed recently trying to cross the highway.

Old 08-18-2012, 05:43 PM

6,434 posts, read 5,250,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Just saw this on 20/20 last night. California wants to build a tunnel underneath the highway so critters can pass safely from one side to another. A mountain lion was killed recently trying to cross the highway.
Good to know that is in the planning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature