Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 11:56 PM

1,487 posts, read 782,600 times

Advertisements

Back in the 50's, the nation had a bed bug epidemic. That's when DDT was used, and it was discovered that it poisoned the air, the trees, the fruit on trees, the birds, bees, animals and humans. It will never be used again.
Bed bugs can live w/out blood for eight months. They live in wall outlets, nest behind the walls, and crawl from apt to apt or room to room along the pipes. They live in book bindings and CD cases, but mostly in the creases of a mattress, or any cloth covered furniture, and in the seams of clothes.
I don't know what city you reside in, but we have an excellent extermination company called Sprague. They bring the bed bug dog, who sniffs them out, then sits to indicate their presence.
I had them twice, once in 2011, then again in 2012. You need to get sprayed once a week for about six to eight weeks. The pest control will also spray behind the walls if they know their stuff.
Bedbugs die at extreme temps. On the cold side, about 25°, and on the flip side at about 130° or higher. Don't heat treat. All your leather shoes and clothes will be ruined. The leather just curls up and is history.
Cedar does not kill, it just annoys and drives them away, but they come back. There's a product called Best Yet Bed Bug Spray, but it isn't really effective. It combines cedar with latex. The cedar drives them away and the latex sticks to them and suffocates them, but it is not strong enough to be permanent.
Permethrin is a poison and effective against bedbugs. That's what a credible exterminator will use. You have to leave the house for two hours, so do pets, and no food out. It will eat the skin off your face, but it works.
I am a veritable bedbug expert. Not just me, but the whole building where I was living then had them for two and a half years between 2010, and the end of 2012. I learned alot.
Bedbug trivia: the Asian bedbug and the German variety mated and made a superbug which is active all day long and larger. Read this in the paper, exterminators confirmed it.
Bedbugs are like little smart chips. They wait until you are in your REM sleep before they feed on you. They can detect the amount of carbon dioxide in the air. If it's mot enough, they wait. It's a self-preservation tactic. They don't wanna get squashed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 08:19 AM

19,041 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Hmmm... My grandmother told me that, when they were in exile in Siberia, cold could get so low that bark starts cracking on the trees yet, you can see bedbugs crawling there. I'd rather trust my grandmother, she was clear soul.
Roaches do die at 2 degrees C, so freezing out entire building was a common procedure back in 'ol country. Shut down water supply, drain heating radiators, as it was all central hot water supply, and open windows for two days in say early January. Go live place else for that time.
As far as you live in a complex building, you will NOT rid of BBs unless entire building is done. Also, you need to track down their source, as they WILL return with it.
I sprayed for way too many years of my life to know better. They do hide in places that will be missed or spray does not reach into. Gas will.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:32 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,186,967 times
The latest on bed bugs in the US. Baltimore has the worst infestation in the country with Washington DC coming in second (SHOCKER!!!!!, lol)

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-bed-bug-mecca

Old 01-08-2018, 09:03 AM

804 posts, read 545,848 times
That is because they Troops from the Afghanistan and Iraq war brought them over here. Bedbugs are commonly found in military bases as well. They are very common in the Orient. It is not ironic you would see this infestation in the capital.

For some reason we can make x-ray scanners that can see through walls but not a bedbug detector.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:44 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,186,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanArt View Post
That is because they Troops from the Afghanistan and Iraq war brought them over here. Bedbugs are commonly found in military bases as well. They are very common in the Orient. It is not ironic you would see this infestation in the capital.

For some reason we can make x-ray scanners that can see through walls but not a bedbug detector.
LOL, how about a bedbug zapper? That would be a good technological development. After all, we can vaporize entire populations, why not bedbugs? But I guess it's not as sexy as the spy vs. spy stuff.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:06 AM

274 posts, read 294,706 times
Since people are still commenting on this...I haven't had to deal with bed bugs, thankfully, although the idea sends chills up my spine. However, there are specialized heat treatments available that kill them. I've also heard that Diatemaceous (sp?) Earth works wonders in killing bed bugs (and other pests) and it's not the most expensive thing out there. In the future, think about getting a bedbug mattress protector. They are a bit pricey and if they get a hole they are useless, but bedbugs cannot burrow into them. Some people say the investment is good and if they did get bedbugs they sprinkled Diatemaceous Earth on top to kill them with success.

Old 01-15-2018, 02:16 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
So they don't get into your mattress. They get in your chairs and your sofa and behind your baseboards...not a big win
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature