Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2008, 09:50 AM

72 posts, read 136,985 times

Advertisements

What is your opinon on kearney nebraska?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 10:11 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,921,728 times
I like Kearney. For a town in the Upper Midwest, it is not too isolated and is a good size (28,000-30,000 people). I visited there quite a few times on the way to Colorado and thought that most of it was well-kept. For the size of the city, Kearney has plenty to offer. It has an excellent array of retail for a smaller city with it being a regional trade center, close to busy I-80, and having a sizeable state university.

I seriously considered University of Nebraska-Kearney when I looking at colleges, but chose University of South Dakota instead due to better scholarships. I will consider moving to the area if I leave South Dakota.

Eating, staying, or passing through Kearneyin the past, I found the people here are friendly.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:55 AM

1,821 posts, read 5,147,243 times
Probably bias b/c I grew up there, but Kearney is a great town. It is probably the most white collar of cities west of Lincoln because of the college, but has a great deal of blue collar too. The eating and shopping is pretty good for a town of its size. There are some entertainment options with the arena, musuems, and the college. It is a growing city, has a terrific hospital and good parks. Is there anything specfic you would like to know?

Old 01-01-2008, 12:09 PM

72 posts, read 136,985 times
Yes is there a large poulation of hispanics and how are the schools and the crime rate.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:50 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,147,243 times
No in Kearney there is not a large population of hispanics. I personally thought the schools in Kearney were good, now I have not had any connection with the system in years, but I see no reason for why things would change. There is also a private catholic school in Kearney that is good. Crime is very small in Kearney, probably the biggest problem by # is underage drinking. Not to say major crime doesn't happen here, but it is very seldom.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:35 AM

1,181 posts, read 4,009,478 times
I grew up about 1.5 hours from Kearney and two of my siblings attend UNK. One of the sayings about Kearney is that "the only people who live there are college students and doctors." Obviously, that's an exaggeration, but it encapsulates the two most obvious characteristics of Kearney. Its a college town and its a very nicely kept town that tends to be pretty white collar. It always seemed clean to me and for a town of only about 30,000 did seem to offer a lot of things.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:35 AM

2 posts, read 7,478 times
hello, my husband and I want to move to kearney an intensive English course I'd like to tell me a bit like the people? is a town of only students? to do on weekends?

Old 08-23-2010, 07:16 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,685,193 times
Kearney is probably the richest of the tri-cities in central Nebraska, but I'm not an expert on the entertainment. first though, where are you from?

Old 09-16-2010, 10:17 AM

2 posts, read 7,478 times
I'm from miami and I would like to know what life in Kearney and the rent of the apartments is expensive?we want to find a 1-bedroom apartment that is near UNK to go walking, I would like to know if there are apartments near UNK?

Old 04-10-2011, 09:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,204 times
I lived in Kearney for 18 years. UNK brings in alot of students but this is not just a collage town, plenty of other things in Kearney. Crime rate is the lowest you will find for the size of the town, i would feel comfortable in any part of town at any time. I graduated from Kearney high in 08 and i can say that the school systems are great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska