Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 10:39 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,921,728 times

Advertisements

Our immigration policy and how we deal with immigrants need to be reevaluated. When my ancestors came to Amercia in the late 1800s, like many immigrants of today for better opportunity (but came legally unlike many from south of the border), the kids had to learn English (plain and simple). The immigrants who come here should learn how to learn English and be expected to learn our culture and customs to be better integrated into our society. The immigration quotas should be widened, but the immigrants should pay taxes, learn English, and follow our rules in exchange. Is that too much to ask from the immigrants? I do not think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 06:05 PM

2,947 posts, read 1,675,083 times
I'd like to see more of this topic throughout the various threads. Back east my family tells me of raids that happened and the numbers deported, detained etc...
The thing that amazes me is, when the wind is right, the illegels know when it's coming and they do not show up for work. So how are they getting the jobs in the first place? It apperes to me that which ever it is that any city in the U.S. is known for in the job market the illegels are getting the jobs??
I have no problem with any one from any country being in the U.S. but I'd like to see it all done on the up & up.
I've lived in a few states and they all have had their issues with this subject.
I have seen folks leave neighborhoods due to the increase of whichever ethnic culture has moved in in greater numbers. Why? The USA and her citizens need to get things back on track. But where does one start?

Old 03-31-2008, 08:46 PM

156 posts, read 609,690 times
Recently, I spoke to a taxi driver. After noticing his accent I asked where he was from, which I can't help but do, due to my personality, love of world traveling and appreciation for other cultures. He was from Somalia. He began talking a lot about his country and culture. Then he said s.thing he probably shouldn't have. He began to tell me where many of his buddies from Somalia were moving to here the in the states. I laughed heartily when he said many are in Minnesota (where I used to live). The image was just funny to me. Somalians in Minnesota. I said that's funny. He asked why and I said we Americans would not expect them to pick a place like that, how funny! I thought it was kinda adorable. Then the bomb fell. "Minnesota has the best welfare!" he proclaimed happily. Yuk...big, big yuk. So much for appreciating our generous spirit. So much for our saying you're welcome to them from under the muddy soles of their now-well-dressed feet.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:01 PM

156 posts, read 609,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire-rose View Post
I'd like to see more of this topic throughout the various threads. Back east my family tells me of raids that happened and the numbers deported, detained etc...
The thing that amazes me is, when the wind is right, the illegels know when it's coming and they do not show up for work. So how are they getting the jobs in the first place? It apperes to me that which ever it is that any city in the U.S. is known for in the job market the illegels are getting the jobs??
I have no problem with any one from any country being in the U.S. but I'd like to see it all done on the up & up.
I've lived in a few states and they all have had their issues with this subject.
I have seen folks leave neighborhoods due to the increase of whichever ethnic culture has moved in in greater numbers. Why? The USA and her citizens need to get things back on track. But where does one start?
That's just plain sick. Sorry to hear about what your family has to tolerate, which can't exactly feel good when one's raising kids. We Americans are suffering, in this whole immigration mess, a kind of, if I may sound religious here, crucifixion, whenever we stand up for the law. It is truly sickening.
I blame most to all on both the corporate decision makers and the govt. movers & shapers avoiding the issue.
As to your last question, I could, if I may recommend an excellent read. It's by Dr. Stan Monteith (Dr. Stanley Monteith)
and although I'm not one bit a conspiracy theorist, nor is he to my knowledge (for he sounds just too smart for that) , his concerns cover the very same which people and those in the know had around 100 years ago. So, if you'd like to understand current events today, he always tells his audiences, understand what I disclose in my research. His lectures are based on his book, The Brotherhood of Darkness, which focuses mostly on what led to WWI. I've spoken to him on the phone a couple of times and he's erudite, reticent and plain sharp. Much of his 40 years of research included many talks with Carroll Quigley. Do you know of him? If you google him you'll be up all night, but basically, he was in the know when lots of global corruption happened during the height of the British Roundtable (which Churchill left, as did Quigley, as did H.G. Wells, as did other Brits). I am sure Orwell might have been in there, too, based on his book I love, Animal Farm.

All to say, it's not to alarm anyone, rather, it's too avoid being side-blasted when our govt. does dumber things down the way. Expect it.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:09 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,921,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah30:18 View Post
Recently, I spoke to a taxi driver. After noticing his accent I asked where he was from, which I can't help but do, due to my personality, love of world traveling and appreciation for other cultures. He was from Somalia. He began talking a lot about his country and culture. Then he said s.thing he probably shouldn't have. He began to tell me where many of his buddies from Somalia were moving to here the in the states. I laughed heartily when he said many are in Minnesota (where I used to live). The image was just funny to me. Somalians in Minnesota. I said that's funny. He asked why and I said we Americans would not expect them to pick a place like that, how funny! I thought it was kinda adorable. Then the bomb fell. "Minnesota has the best welfare!" he proclaimed happily. Yuk...big, big yuk. So much for appreciating our generous spirit. So much for our saying you're welcome to them from under the muddy soles of their now-well-dressed feet.
Minnesota has very high taxes, especially compared to South Dakota. I have heard that welfare in Minnesota is generous and unfortunately the bill gets paid by the taxpayers of that state who have to work to make an honest living. Unfortunately for Minnesota, some of the companies have moved across the border into South Dakota and bypassed SW Minnnesota due to their tax climate. As for illegal aliens, I am sure Minnesota has its fair share of illegals in the Minneaplis-St Paul area and cities that have meatpacking plants such as Worthington. MN.

It is sickening to see some immigrants drain our welfare system and do not take initiative to learn our language, learn our norms and laws, and assimilate into mainstream American culture. Not all immigrants are that way and many are very sincere and work hard to be good Americans, work, and contribute to society in a postive fashion. I know of a number who hardworking and caring people. The ones who are lazy and unwilling to assimilate give all immigrants a bad name, even good ones sadly enough.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,778 times
Default Disgusted!

You know I have always been proud to be an american! My grandfather, father and my sons have fought for this country. The same country that years ago was based on immigrants coming here to find their american dream. BTW just because someone is not of this country originally does not make them an "illegal".....Most people that come to this country are legal they are able to legally obtain permission to come here due to the fact that all they have to do is file for asylym. If they come from a south american region that is currently at war such as Honduras, El Salvador, etc they can get quick and easy visas to come here to try and better their lives. Not only do we as a country allow this to happen but we allow the cubans their one foot on sand law which allows them a green card. We also allow peeps from Nigeria Somalia and other war torn countries to come here and try to find their dreams. people always seem to blame this and that on "illegals" but I blame the goverment! One question that is never asked though is this.....according to someones calculations there are over 12 million illegals in this country and if each one of them are working that means that they are due a tax refund because taxes are being taken out of their checks. These people cant file for a return so I personally would like to know where all the excess money is ???? Last but not least the last time I ran into a person from south of the border I didnt notice that they had a bomb strapped to their ass

Old 10-01-2008, 06:07 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,551,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madshopgirl View Post
One question that is never asked though is this.....according to someones calculations there are over 12 million illegals in this country and if each one of them are working that means that they are due a tax refund because taxes are being taken out of their checks. These people cant file for a return so I personally would like to know where all the excess money is ????
That question has been asked a lot... if they are having taxes withheld then that is a good thing... the fact that they are here means that they do consume services - they are a big cost to the health care system, a big cost to the public safety system, and some cost to the education system.. those taxes go to help fund that. There is no excess funds - they consume more services than they pay for.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:32 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,683,581 times
I moved to NE from an area that was overrun with illegals. The local police couldn't handle them at all; they got no support from the Feds on deportation. The 'free public' schools were full of kids who couldn't speak English, and who brought down an already poor grade average for the state's schools because they couldn't pass tests. The free clinics and hospital emergency rooms were packed full of illegal immigrants. Why? because employers will hire them so that they do not have to pay things like Worker's Comp, insurance, and taxes. Illegal immigrants save businesses, big and small, millions of dollars a year in those things. So if an illegal gets hurt at work, who pays his bills? You and I do - because he HAS to be treated when he goes to the hospital, and he has no SSN and pays no taxes (other than sales taxes on the things he buys). If an illegal immigrant buys a car, he has no license and no insurance. So who pays if he gets in a wreck? You and I do - and the victims he runs into pay as well, because they are the only ones insured. We pay for the ambulance, the firefighters, who respond, we pay again if he goes to the hospital, and we pay again with higher insurance rates because of the accidents. Because these are hidden costs, taken out of our paychecks as taxes, or buried in our own hospital or insurance blls, we don't see them and people can pretend that they don't exist.

Right before I left to move to NE, a teenager was driving home from a game and was impacted. He lay in the hospital for three days before he died in a coma. The illegal alien whose vehicle hit the young man was finally traced. It turned out that he had a record for DUI, but could not be held in jail because of his illegal status (the State nor the Feds reimburse the daily costs of incarceration for illegals). The illegal had no license, no insurance, and the young man's insurance had to pay for all of his medical costs, as well as the funeral costs. What it cost his family is impossible to say. Mind you, this is NOT an isolated incident. As long as this country permits businesses to skate around the laws about employees, and as long as the owners of rental property and car dealerships are allowed to wink at laws about social security numbers, insurance, and licensing, then we will be inundated with illegals anywhere there are businesses with open jobs, skilled or unskilled.

All that said, in my little corner of rural NE, there are no illegals. So far.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:17 AM

79 posts, read 205,511 times
I can verify SCGRANNY'S statements. Her former state is being overrun totally. There are areas where they practice satanism, voodoo and other so called "religions". You can see trailer homes with no utilities sitting in the woods by a stream. That stream is their drinking water, bathwater, clothes washing/dishwashing facility. And remember, water runs downstream. There can be found dead dogs, goats or chickens that are disgustingly mangled and butchered sitting on top of their trailers for protection from evil spirits. These people drive with no license, insurance or registration. Worst of all, the sheriffs rarely do anything about it and in a couple cases have actually been the purveyors of the illegals trailers, charging each person living in them $200/month and at times there are 20 people living in one trailer. This is all information that is verifiable. The recent raid in S.C. was in one such area and the employer is a chicken processor who helps these people sneak into our nation for cheap labor.

My family came to America via Ellis Island, being probed, poked and paid their way in. Great great grandad lived in a sandhill dugout cave while building a home for his family on a section of land in the sandhills. That cave is still there today, preserved by family. My GG granddad would not allow his 10 kids to speak their native tongue, they HAD to learn english as that was the language of The United States.

We can blame every single representative in Congress for the situation we are in now. They allowed it to occur by catering to their corporate money men and not doing their jobs of doing the will of the people. I'm afraid it's probably too late for us now as a nation as we have been sold out by the very people who are making big bucks to represent us and are not doing so.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:21 AM

79 posts, read 205,511 times
Taxes? They don't pay no stinking taxes! Most are paid under the table via personal checks or cash. This saves the lousy employers from paying SS taxes, unemployment taxes and worker comp taxes. Do you think they lower their prices on their products? LOL not a chance. That money is pocketed. And YOU and I get to pay for all the repercussions of this illegal trade. Higher county taxes, income taxes, SS taxes etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska