Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Nebraska short on labor, Custer County thriving job market, Nebraska strong entrepreneurial spirit, agriculture economic growth, string non-farm employment

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 06:14 PM

605 posts, read 1,198,895 times

Advertisements

Maybe Nebraska should get completing its portion of that Heartland Expressway. That should help bring jobs to western Nebraska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 04:45 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,167,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Hi, Ehenningsen (and a shout out to tpabes)! I've missed ya'll but the house and property took a lot of work to get it ready for winter.

Y'know, we've been so busy that we have yet to leave the county to explore Omaha or even Lincoln. We made it to North Platte once. But there is just so much to do locally - not just on our own little place, but all of the get togethers and socials and of course FOOTBALL - that we have been homebodies. I haven't seen a Wendy's in months, nor a Starbucks at all. And that's the way I like it. )

I am really worried about the economy driving people to NE, though. I've seen it before - people losing jobs or working at underpaying jobs, 'discovering' a place that has jobs and low-priced property, and swooping in trying to change it to suit their needs and wants. I'm praying that the long cold winters and miles of "empty" land scares them off. As long as the view from the interstates is flat and boring, we might be safe from them. My new job doesn't have insurance (which is ok; I prefer to pay cash, it actually comes out cheaper overall) and I hear that a lot of jobs east of here don't pay insurance either. Those looking for that safety net, and hearing about the high property taxes, may be put off Nebraska by that as well. One can only hope... )
I hear you SC about people flocking to 'undiscovered' areas. I bought some acreage earlier this year up in Williston, ND to eventually build a home and relocate to. Apart from this area going through a huge oil boom, I'm hoping that the town and county are not a big magnet for a lot of people. I don't want it to change and become what I'm trying to leave behind.

But same for me up in NoDak. Hopefully the long miles of nothing and the ferocious winters will keep out the riff-raff. The nearest Interstate to Williston is 80 miles away, so that's probably a good thing.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:35 PM

5 posts, read 14,554 times
I'm looking to move to Nebraska for a period of time to work on a farm, so this type of data is good to hear.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:56 PM

26,420 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post
Maybe Nebraska should get completing its portion of that Heartland Expressway. That should help bring jobs to western Nebraska.
Eh, that should be good for the Panhandle between Kimball and Scottsbluff.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:23 PM

11 posts, read 48,949 times
Default jobs in western Nebraska

We actually have quite a few jobs right now. The hospital has 130 openings, Aurora just hired 60 and is looking for 30 more, The new Menards store will open in January and is looking for 130 people. Chili's is opening soon and is hiring. There are about 300 open positions in Scottsbluff and Gering right now and even with the current economy, the numbers will increase. Regional West is recruiting 25 physicians to the area over the next 5 years. The community just passed a bond issue to renovate the middle school. Lots of good things going on!!

Old 11-21-2008, 10:39 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,925,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post
I agree with the finishing of Neraska's portion of the Heartland Expressway. South Dakota has a good chunk done and has another 20 or 30 miles to go until its portion is done and that will be in a couple years. I have been on the completed stretch between Rapid City and Hot Springs in June and the road is NICE.

My understanding is that the Heartland Expressway is supposed to link up with the another corridor that would go north from Rapid City up to Williston, ND and then up to Canada via NE Montana. To the South, I understand that the corridor would fork off and one fork goes to Denver and the other to Limon, where it would meet up with the Ports to the Plains corridor, which would lead down to Amarillo and even down to Laredo and the Rio Grande Valley.

As for building more corridors in Western Nebraska, the traffic volume in other areas of the pandhandle would not justify building one and I forsee the Heartland Express not getting done for a good 10 years or so at least given the funding issues that many states are facing with their highway funding.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:28 AM

25 posts, read 120,808 times
Re: City people coming in and demanding Walmart and Starbucks...

Real cities don't have Walmart and real "city people" don't go to Starbucks...! lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska