Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 05:31 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,700,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
while various reports state he fired his weapon into the ground - this is what he said to WMUR,

"I approached him with a gun, told him to stop, and fired a warning shot to the left of him and into the woods. I was angry and I was worried this guy was going to come after me."

right...because it's likely that he would return to grab more crap after he broke his foot running from a neighbor's house.

I agree that the man is a hero for detaining a criminal. He was stupidly reckless for firing his weapon in a populated neighborhood where it is illegal to hunt or discharge a weapon. He is charged with reckless endangerment. Luckily nobody was in the woods at the time.
Agree totally!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 06:51 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,417,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Agree totally!

Agree with what? that he's a hero or stupidly reckless? We need to remember that almost every time the police discharge a gun its in town limits. Its not the end of the world to fire a gun in a populated area.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:56 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
strange the concern is not about burglary and home invasion the concern is the owner doing something about it. bear in mind he harmed no one. better than the police all too often.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:24 PM

611 posts, read 1,205,196 times
I work with 3 people that have had their house broken into just in the past 6 months. One of them had all of her medals from her military service stolen and another had heirloom jewelry from her mother as well as her childrens toys (things they earned with their own allowance money stolen). None of them had their stuff recovered. In one instance the police acted as if they could care less. Finally, we hear of a story where someone not only stopped the burgler, but recovered their stuff.
Here's a what if....what if someone had been home when the burgler broke in? Surely it was only a matter of time until that happened. Would we be reading a homeowner's obituary instead?

Old 02-22-2012, 08:48 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,140,515 times
more likely we would of read of the burglar's death by shooting. He was not armed.

Mr. Fleming KNOWS Mr. Hebert. He could have just turned him in.

Besides the thief was not IN his home. He wasn't on his property. He was not in danger. He was not threatened. It's unclear if anything was actually taken from his house. None of the items taken from Mr. Hebert when he was apprehended belonged to Mr. Fleming.

Last edited by buck naked; 02-22-2012 at 09:00 PM..

Old 02-22-2012, 09:18 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,950,928 times
Quote:
Besides the thief was not IN his home. He wasn't on his property. He was not in danger. He was not threatened. It's unclear if anything was actually taken from his house. None of the items taken from Mr. Hebert when he was apprehended belonged to Mr. Fleming.
Various family members of mine have been victims of burglary. In each case, nobody was at home, nobody was hurt (luckily) And while a few items were recovered in pawn shops, there was never anyone caught and punished for the crime... So this case was different. Nobody was hurt, and somebody was arrested, thanks to one man. That is what counts. Not what 'could have happened'. Because it didn't.

According to the Fosters write up of the incident: "Fleming held the man at gunpoint until police arrived to help. Found in the man's backpack were a number of items, including old pocket watches that belonged to Fleming's father and silver coins, taken from another residence."

Old 02-22-2012, 09:41 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,140,515 times
the man was rightly charged with reckless conduct.

I find greater fault with the police for seizing this man's collection of firearms without a warrant and without reason. Quite often they use questionable justification to illegally confiscate weapons. This is a clear violation of the 4th amendment to the Constitution. It shouldn't cost this man an arm and a leg to get them back and it probably will be very expensive.

Recently in the news there was a case of a man in No. Carolina who shot his daughter's laptop computer. http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technolo...ghters-laptop/ He didn't like her FB posts and put her PC on the ground and shot it. He was also charged with reckless conduct. In his case, he DID shoot into the ground (through the computer) and not merely to the left of the fleeing robber. It's another state, but the same law.

Proper gun training and education states that a gun is to be used only for protection of your life or loved one’s life from an immediate threat of mortal danger.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:39 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,345,777 times
Dennis Fleming is a hero. I'm glad he lives in my state.

The perp is a scumbag. A Criminal. He's lucky that his crime spree was not here in my town. We hill people shoot to kill.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:06 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,038,071 times
Quote:
and what would that have accomplished? Unless a thief is caught in the act or with the stolen property, it would mean nothing. The cops wouldn't arrest him (if they even checked it out). By detaining him there the cops were able to catch him somewhere he didn't belong (come on: coming out a window??!) still with the stolen articles. Otherwise he could have ditched them or pawned them quickly. no proof.

btw, as to ability to get away with a broken foot - stranger things have happened. adrenalin can allow one to do amazing things, so it's possible that he could have gotten away. long enough to get to a hospital and come up with some story for how he broke it (after stashing the stuff somewhere to pawn later).

I'd be happy to have Mr Fleming as a neighbor.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:38 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,480,513 times
Quote:
more likely we would of read of the burglar's death by shooting. He was not armed.

Actualy , acording to yesterdays union leader, Mr Flemming found some of his belongings in the theifs backpack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire