Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 10:33 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times

Advertisements

I checked on this forum after I heard of this case. Guess I have another good reason to stay out of NH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 05:52 AM

193 posts, read 534,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
I checked on this forum after I heard of this case. Guess I have another good reason to stay out of NH.
From a burglar, no doubt!

Old 02-24-2012, 06:00 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,204,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
I'm really grateful to have moved into a real small neighborhood chock full of guys just like him.
Yes, and I would hope my neighbors would do the same for me if my house was being robbed.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:18 PM

477 posts, read 900,078 times
Quote:
We appreciate it.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:16 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,249,220 times
Quote:
Thank You

Old 02-24-2012, 10:17 PM

190 posts, read 618,359 times
This is a tough one. I had thought about this many times when I was a NH resident. Because NH does not have a Castle Doctrine, what would I do in a similar situation?

This is different as the burgular was not on his property, nor was he in danger. I applaude him for wanting to do something. But, it could have been handled differntly (but, Monday quaterbacking is not realistic either).

Thank you for doing something Mr. Flemming. I would rather have him as a neighbor than the neighbors I had that admitted to seeing the van parked in front of my house being filled with my possessions and never thought to call the police....some perspective.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:50 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
more likely we would of read of the burglar's death by shooting. He was not armed.

Mr. Fleming KNOWS Mr. Hebert. He could have just turned him in.

Besides the thief was not IN his home. He wasn't on his property. He was not in danger. He was not threatened. It's unclear if anything was actually taken from his house. None of the items taken from Mr. Hebert when he was apprehended belonged to Mr. Fleming.
the thief approached him in an aggessive manner he gave a warning shot in the ground. being unarmed and attacking an armed man, who refuses to use his weapon, is a great way to get armed. whether the stolen goods were his or not- is not relevant. it is already established he was going thru the neighborhood stealing stuff.
i find your argument in defense of the thief very much in line with the opinion of most felons i have known, mainly--- home invasion defense is a moral outrage and a violation of civil liberties.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 02-25-2012 at 10:00 AM..

Old 02-25-2012, 12:10 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,140,515 times
you are totally wrong - the thief never approached Mr. Fleming. Mr. Fleming heard him jumping out of the 2nd floor window of a nearby house. The kid broke his foot when he landed.

I have no problem with anyone defending their home and their safety. Mr. Fleming was doing neither. He was not defending his home. He was not in any danger.

Mr. Fleming, OTOH, was very scary running around waving a loaded pistol for a 1/2 hour before he noticed the guy jumping out the window. Secondly, he DID NOT fire his weapon into the ground. He fired it to the left of the burglar and into the woods where it ended up in the ground. It's not like he pointed at the ground and fired a warning shot.

Thankfully all ended well and Mr. Fleming should get his guns back soon.

unlike you - I do not know any convicted felons.

Last edited by buck naked; 02-25-2012 at 12:36 PM..

Old 02-25-2012, 12:49 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,140,515 times
response by Firearms Academy Instructor when notified of this story:

Mistakes made by the home owner in my humble opinion were:

- "He took it upon himself to try and locate the suspect,"
-- Unless a person is a sworn officer of the law, citizens should never hunt down a suspect and especially confront them

- "When he came across the arrestee, he discharged his weapon and held the male at bay,"
-- He should never have discharged his weapon unless he was at that instant in time in fear for his life.
--- There was never mention that the suspect was armed, disparity of force or a threat that justified discharging of his firearm.

Situations such as described in this article are reasons why armed citizens should be trained in the legal use of firearms for personal protection.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:04 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,869,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
I'm surprised that most of you defend the man for shooting in the public. He was not defending himself. He was not defending his home. He saw a suspicious person at another home.

What IF this person was not the burglar? You have a man charging another person and firing a weapon to scare him. The police acted appropriately. Mr. Fleming was pumped with adrenaline and was armed and dangerous. He could have shot anyone.

Common sense is all this man needed to dial 911 and report a suspected robbery in progress. Common sense.......
The really scary thought is: people that think like naked serve on juries and are Police officials and Judges.
GL2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire