Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2020, 06:23 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,986,436 times

Advertisements

Rather than repeating any of the good info shared so far, I'd like to make a quick suggestion. It's that time of year that the ground will start freezing up pretty quickly - and no matter which snow removal method you decide is best for you, it's imperative that you know where driveway lines are.

Pick up some fiberglass snow stakes with reflectors and push into the ground all along the driveway, about every 6-10 feet apart on both sides. This way you'll know exactly where you need to be while removing snow. The reflectors will help with visibility when backing up or down the driveway in snowy or foggy weather. Same for any walkways you may have...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2020, 08:50 AM

609 posts, read 353,771 times
If your not old yet then I recommend shoveling snow. I have lived in Minnesota and now NE for 10+ years. I am a middle aged gym rat and yes a little nuts but its easily done. Plus, I love the challenge of beating my younger snow blowing neighbors (sad scene seeing them struggle to push the blower). Its a great workout for those times when we have alot of indoor time. Plus there is nothing better than a hot soup afterwards or a whisky to warm up!

Old 10-15-2020, 03:53 AM

609 posts, read 353,771 times
Default ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnfdc View Post
My rental place has a >300' curving driveway. That is one heck of a work out. I'll skip the whisky, but maybe have some Baileys with coffee.

*adding Baileys to my shopping list.

Yes that is a long driveway. Even with 2 shovels its a large job

Old 10-15-2020, 05:21 AM

4,547 posts, read 6,837,915 times
I used a 24" Ariens to handle a 450 foot driveway with a 10% slope for 8 years before moving (I already had machine before moving there, I would recommend a larger size). As long as you stay ahead of it, that is, go out when you have six inches and remove it, you will be okay. I only ran into two problems in 8 years where it rained hard on top of the snow and then the temp dropped. One time I removed it before it rained and then the driveway was pure ice. However, my neighbors who had their driveways plowed had the same or bigger problems in those situations.

At my NH house I use a 24 inch track-drive Craftsman 6hp OHV (I already had the machine before purchasing the home, I would recommend a larger machine). It has removed up to 30 inches of snow. I am able to use the tracks to drive up and take it out in stages. This is especially helpful at the end of the driveway for removing piles up to 5 feet tall. Since it is a second home I don't always have the benefit of handling the snow as it falls. However, patience and strategic removal have never let me down. As others have said, my neighbors who have their driveways plowed have to deal with the piles. In some cases that pile will be there for 5 months and continue to grow. At times when my neighbors have had to pay their contractor to come in with a Bobcat and dump truck and have the snow hauled away. It was extremely expensive.

I personally, would err on the side of a larger machine than necessary and if you have a grade would seriously consider tracks. They work great on slopes. Ariens makes a great track machine as does Honda.

Old 10-15-2020, 06:21 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,075,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
As others have said, my neighbors who have their driveways plowed have to deal with the piles. In some cases that pile will be there for 5 months and continue to grow. At times when my neighbors have had to pay their contractor to come in with a Bobcat and dump truck and have the snow hauled away.

Good point about dealing with the piles and how long they last. While not as large of a problem on private property, snow piles tend to be full of trash, grass destroying salt, and other things. The year I left Alaska, we still had snow piles where the town would dump it in July.

Old 10-15-2020, 10:54 AM

15,850 posts, read 20,692,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnfdc View Post
Picked up an Ariens 30" SHO Monday from a small reputable shop in Plymouth. I'm debating whether or not to get chains for the tires.
I have that same blower. It's a beast. The 414ci is rated for roughly 12.5HP and 20 ft-lbs of torque.

I bought chains, but never installed them. Didn't need them, as I've never lost traction. My property is flat and it's asphalt. The equipped tires are fairly aggressive and grip well. I've pushed through some pretty heavy plow dams with it and it always gripped and threw the snow 30 feet away.

I did add additional LED lighting to mine, and made my own front end weight out of a 24" by 3.5" by 1/2" thick piece of scrap metal. The front end weight definitely did help keep the front down. Mine weighed about 13.5lbs

Only downside to this blower is the small gas tank. It lasts roughly an hour before you need a refill. Other than that, it's just damn powerful.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 10-15-2020 at 11:05 AM..

Old 10-15-2020, 06:36 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,075,820 times
Yeah, I wanted something powerful, and this seems to be a good one. Good info about the weight, gas tank, and chains. Especially the gas tank---I'll have to time my refuels to be near the garage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire