Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 08:13 AM

6 posts, read 7,673 times

Advertisements

We recently moved to southern NH and are planning ahead for our first winter (relocated from the south). Any insight? Our issue is that our driveway is not very long but it's on a steep slope.

- snow blower (Ariens Platinum 24)
- tractor with plow (John Deere 700 series and would use for lawn mowing)
- hired company

Open to other suggestions! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2020, 10:32 AM

8,272 posts, read 11,013,746 times
Depending on posters age and physical condition.

The snow thrower stated above is an excellent choice. If purchasing a snow blower buy from a dealer that repairs them.
Skip the big box stores.

There is some assembly at every dealer/store. Have the service manager/assembler actually/visually check the snow blower BEFORE being delivered or taken home. Have them double check every component that THEY assembled. You have been warned. Have this done while YOU are at store.

Plowing. If plowing, make sure you know WHERE the snow is going. As it will pile up if a heavy snow winter. Every plow customer wants to be first. If the plow contractor has 20-50 customers - someone is going to be last.

If having plowing. You will still have to shovel walkways and steps/doors.

If you have heating fuel delivery - might be a good idea to shovel/remove snow where your fill area is.

Mail delivery. Make sure all is cleared where mail is delivered.

As far a plow or snow blower. No one can answer for your situation. I have both.

Old 10-07-2020, 10:48 AM

1,093 posts, read 1,063,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post

The snow thrower stated above is an excellent choice. If purchasing a snow blower buy from a dealer that repairs them.
Skip the big box stores.

I used that methodology as well. Picked up an Ariens 30" SHO Monday from a small reputable shop in Plymouth. I'm debating whether or not to get chains for the tires.

Back to the OP's question-

IF I get a decent chunk of land in the future, I'll eventually augment with a plow of some sort.

Old 10-07-2020, 10:58 AM

609 posts, read 351,196 times
shovel

Old 10-07-2020, 11:19 PM
KCZ

4,685 posts, read 3,685,547 times
Be aware that the state/town plow will likely plow your driveway in approximately 7 minutes after you've finished clearing it and deposit a large pile of heavy stuff that can be hard to move with a snow blower. In most places, it's illegal to push/blow the snow out into or across the street.

Old 10-08-2020, 07:00 AM

199 posts, read 181,894 times
Quote:
Plowing. If plowing, make sure you know WHERE the snow is going.
This is important! As the pile of snow melts all winter and spring, you don't want it flowing onto your driveway or a walkway. Make sure where the pile sits, that the ground slopes down to an area you will not be walking on.

Old 10-08-2020, 08:50 AM

1,751 posts, read 883,519 times
And in addition to what the others have said, buy a roof rake and use it!

Old 10-08-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi.Dunn View Post
This is important! As the pile of snow melts all winter and spring, you don't want it flowing onto your driveway or a walkway. Make sure where the pile sits, that the ground slopes down to an area you will not be walking on.

Come on--slipping and falling on refrozen melted snow is just part of the fun.

Old 10-08-2020, 05:11 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,024,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Depending on posters age and physical condition.

Skip the big box stores.
Or go one step better, buy it from wherever you want and educate yourself on how to do your own repairs and maintenance, much cheaper than paying a dealer to do it.

Old 10-08-2020, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Or go one step better, buy it from wherever you want and educate yourself on how to do your own repairs and maintenance, much cheaper than paying a dealer to do it.

I agree. Completely and wholeheartedly. That said, buying from a smaller shop who also repairs them is a good way to get to know folks in your new town and figure out the capabilities of the local repair shops--because eventually I'll run into something I can't/don't want to fix myself. I'm all for fixing things myself, and have the used tools to show for it, but every once in awhile it is easier/faster to bring it to the experts--helps if I already have a relationship with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire