Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2021, 05:34 PM

13 posts, read 16,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
??? TSA rules are the same at all airports. Firearms/ammunition are to be packed in locked, hard sided cases and declared at the ticket counter to be checked.

What I said has nothing to do with TSA. Landing in Mass and landing in NH are two different worlds when it comes to firearms.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2021, 12:03 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,055,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_monster View Post
What I said has nothing to do with TSA. Landing in Mass and landing in NH are two different worlds when it comes to firearms.
This.

Drive the speed limit, stay on the big roads, hands at 10 and 2, go directly to the airport and hope you don't have a problem will work if you believe hope is a method.

While someone traveling under the safe passage provision of FOPA is federally legal, that is an argument that will be settled in court after the local yokel's book you on a Mass felony. There is also quite a bit of debate about what a short stop really is. A break down, gas, a stop at Dunks, or a hotel stay.

There have also been theories that those sovereign citizen/"moor" clowns that were going from RI to ME and stopped on 95 were setting up a FOPA test case in addition to their usual scam the taxpayers lawsuits.

Old 09-07-2021, 02:57 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_monster View Post
If you're planning on carrying/packing your weapon, Manchester makes more sense than Logan
When was the last time you have flown. 1968?

If you are caught with a weapon at MHT…. You will e facing fines, jail time and other extremes. This is a federal law.. not a law derived and kept in the very evil “Massachusetts”.

Im sure OP has bigger things/other concerns than carrying a gun on the plane or with them. Thats not something the average person cares about. So this post is invalid.

Old 09-07-2021, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnfdc View Post
This.

Drive the speed limit, stay on the big roads, hands at 10 and 2, go directly to the airport and hope you don't have a problem will work if you believe hope is a method.

While someone traveling under the safe passage provision of FOPA is federally legal, that is an argument that will be settled in court after the local yokel's book you on a Mass felony. There is also quite a bit of debate about what a short stop really is. A break down, gas, a stop at Dunks, or a hotel stay.

There have also been theories that those sovereign citizen/"moor" clowns that were going from RI to ME and stopped on 95 were setting up a FOPA test case in addition to their usual scam the taxpayers lawsuits.

Yeah, I'm not too sure I'd want to take that risk. We're in Washington and soon have to fly into New England to do some house/land hunting. If it was just me I'd leave my weapons home, but if I go anywhere with my wife or daughter I carry. I'm not ready to roll the dice and hope that short drive from Logan to the border is uneventful. It's been a while but when I lived in Newport, RI, right on the Mass border the Massachusetts firearm and ammunition laws seemed ridiculous to me. I wasn't even allowed to purchase ammo, nor hold a gun in a store without prior approval from the state. Until that time I'd never come across such measures, then we moved to New York state, same silliness. So in preparing for our trip I've scoped out the airport situation hoping to not set foot in Massachusetts. I've read the FOPA and it gives me no peace of mind. The reason I'd have my weapon in the first place doesn't jive with being inaccessible. We're still figuring out how we're gonna drive across country, mapping out the states where we have reciprocity. Movers have restrictions about moving ammo and weapons too. 20 years ago had someone told me there was FOPA I would have been fine with traveling through hostile states, not so much today.

Old 09-07-2021, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post

If you are caught with a weapon at MHT…. You will e facing fines, jail time and other extremes. This is a federal law.. not a law derived and kept in the very evil “Massachusetts”.

Im sure OP has bigger things/other concerns than carrying a gun on the plane or with them. Thats not something the average person cares about. So this post is invalid.

When's the last time you left Massachusetts? Many people are concerned with this issue, especially those not conditioned to think guns are evil. I'm not concerned of being "caught" with a weapon either, I'd do what I have to by the book so my gun would be checked and then handed to me at my destination. Following the federal law for transporting a gun is more black and white than what happens once on the road from the airport to the border. You think too highly of yourself to say what's valid or not, you should expand your views and maybe spend more time away from the keyboard.

Old 09-07-2021, 05:55 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,667,498 times
Post FOPA doesn't mean Massachusetts won't attempt to prosecute a non-resident for simple possession

Quote:

Are you intentionally misunderstanding the discussion as being about carry-on bags when it is about checked bags?

Massachusetts makes it a criminal charge to posses even a single round of handgun ammunition if you don't have a handgun license issued by the state of Massachusetts. You can say FOPA! all you want, however in 2013 the US Court of Appeals ruled that the federal FOPA does not apply to airport travel.

So when I'm planning to check through a suitcase with a firearm, I avoid Massachusetts, New York, and New Jersey.

Old 09-07-2021, 06:15 PM

Quote:

I too occasionally comment on things where i have no grasp of the subject matter or the intricacies of said subject matter. I may look like a fool while doing so, but I blather on anyways.

Quote:
While there is thankfully no definitive "# of firearms owners in the US", in 2016 Rand offered a lowball estimate that 32% of Americans owned firearms. In the month of August 21, there were 2.7 million background checks for firearms completed. Down from July where there were 2.9 million. Just because you don't think the average person doesn't care about something doesn't make it a true statement.

Old 10-24-2021, 02:05 PM

26 posts, read 25,365 times
Quote:
??? TSA rules are the same at all airports. Firearms/ammunition are to be packed in locked, hard sided cases and declared at the ticket counter to be checked.
Just so you know..Logan is in Mass..and MASS is a NO GUN STATE. Not saying you'd be stopped or..but the last I knew, if you're caught Its a 1 yr jail term automatically..

Old 10-24-2021, 02:56 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDogPatch View Post
Just so you know..Logan is in Mass..and MASS is a NO GUN STATE. Not saying you'd be stopped or..but the last I knew, if you're caught Its a 1 yr jail term automatically..
I'm well aware of the MA handgun law. One may apply for a MA license to carry that is good for 6 years. As long as the firearm is transported properly, then it's not a problem to check it at Logan.

Old 10-26-2021, 06:40 AM

Quote:
I'm well aware of the MA handgun law. One may apply for a MA license to carry that is good for 6 years. As long as the firearm is transported properly, then it's not a problem to check it at Logan.

Most Mass non res permits are one year and takes a looong time to process.

Post on reddit stating aprox five months. https://www.reddit.com/r/NHGuns/comm..._ltc_5_months/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire