Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 08:25 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times

Advertisements

Since the OP seems to be asking about quantity of jobs in close proximity to Cherry Hill & King of Prussia, but did not specify a type of job, I would think that the elephant in the room is neither Cherry Hill nor King of Prussia, because Wilmington has the most quantity of jobs in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 08:25 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbound81 View Post
The mainline towns are farther from KOP than Haddonfield, Moorestown, Collingswood, are from Cherry Hill. Those towns border Cherry Hill while the mainline towns are a good 15-20 mins away from KOP.

No not at all, You can get from the Mall itself to the mainline (heart of rt 30) in 5 minutes or less.

Look at these links - same scale - they are just about the same distance really; you just may not be familiar with how to use the backroads in the area

KOP (mall in upper middle and heart of the mainline 1.5 miles below)

king of prussia pa - Google Maps

CH
cherry hill nj - Google Maps

I have spent considerable time in both and they are both very close

And honestly on the 15-20 minutes - if 76 is traffic free you can be in CC in that time; though dont expect that at rush hour or close to it

Old 03-26-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Since the OP seems to be asking about quantity of jobs in close proximity to Cherry Hill & King of Prussia, but did not specify a type of job, I would think that the elephant in the room is neither Cherry Hill nor King of Prussia, because Wilmington has the most quantity of jobs in general.

Actually I do believe on jobs KOP is ~ 2x Wilmington

http://www.selectgreaterphiladelphia...urbsoffice.pdf

Old 03-26-2011, 09:29 AM

262 posts, read 789,988 times
There is a greater than 90% chance that we will be moving to metro-Philadelphia this summer/fall (coming from metro Atlanta). Trying to find a better metro (centered around a true city), in a better location (BosWash). We are in IT, the type who can help any organization with their application development (consider us self-employed, independent consultants to keep the discussion simple). Elementary school aged kids. Asian/Indian, we just need an area with some of them, we don't define ourselves that way.

We took NY and DC out of the equation, for the most part. Have visited metro-Philadelphia, and liked the idea of living there. We are considering living in CH, North Wales/Blue Bell (I used KOP as a substitute), and as a wild card the Princeton area. At this point, the issues I am trying to figure out are: individual health insurance cost, housing/property taxes, and at a smaller level proximity to nuclear plants. If living in North Wales/Blue Bell, I would use Regional Rail to get to CC. Not drive to CC.

CH turn-off: Looks like the property taxes are almost 3% of the home value. Although the home prices are reasonable. (Mt Laurel seems to have 2%. But would prefer CH, if that is the better area.) I dont mind paying my dues if it gets me something in return, but I dont want to just throw away money either.

North Wales/Blue Bell turn-off: Slightly concerned about proximity to Limerick (less than 15 miles). Property taxes seem to be about 1.5% of home value.

Also, anyone knows details about health insurance differences between Penn and NJ? If self-employed, and trying to get indiidual health insurance.
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...urance-nj.html
If anyone knows info related to health insurance for the self-employed, I would like to know what I should expect.

Thanks for all the useful info.

Last edited by athensvaasi; 03-26-2011 at 09:41 AM..

Old 03-26-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athensvaasi View Post
There is a greater than 90% chance that we will be moving to metro-Philadelphia this summer/fall (coming from metro Atlanta). Trying to find a better metro (centered around a true city), in a better location (BosWash). We are in IT, the type who can help any organization with their application development (consider us self-employed, independent consultants to keep the discussion simple). Elementary school aged kids. Asian/Indian, we just need an area with some of them, we don't define ourselves that way.

We took NY and DC out of the equation, for the most part. Have visited metro-Philadelphia, and liked the idea of living there. We are considering living in CH, North Wales/Blue Bell (I used KOP as a substitute), and as a wild card the Princeton area. At this point, the issues I am trying to figure out are: individual health insurance cost, housing/property taxes, and at a smaller level proximity to nuclear plants.

CH turn-off: Looks like the property taxes are almost 3% of the home value. Although the home prices are reasonable. (Mt Laurel seems to have 2%. But would prefer CH, if that is the better area.) I dont mind paying my dues if it gets me something in return, but I dont want to just throw away money either.

North Wales/Blue Bell turn-off: Slightly concerned about proximity to Limerick (less than 15 miles). Property taxes seem to be about 1.5% of home value.

Also, anyone knows details about health insurance differences between Penn and NJ? If self-employed, and trying to get indiidual health insurance.
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...urance-nj.html
If anyone knows info related to health insurance for the self-employed, I would like to know what I should expect.

Thanks for all the useful info.
This is not a black & white issue. There are a lot of IT related businesses around Rt 202, near King of Prussia.

Cherry Hill gets you access to multiple places, including, in my opinion, a quicker access into the Wilmington area. There are a lot of bank services (credit cards) in DE.

If you want quick & easy access to Center City & a better access to Wilmington (as well as what's in South Jersey), then, if I was in your shoes, I'd be looking at Cherry Hill & Haddonfield, since you'd also have quick access to exits 33 & 34 of 295, to run to DE.

However, you might want to do research or ask on the Philly board about the IT related companies in the PA burbs.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:56 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,344,319 times
Why is being 15 miles from Limerick a turnoff?

Old 03-26-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Why is being 15 miles from Limerick a turnoff?
I said slightly concerned. Due to current events. And mostly out of my ignorance.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:34 AM

If someone lived in cherry Hill, is there a possibility of working in KOP, using a 6:30 am drive or something like that. Or does that pretty much preclude them from doing so?

Old 03-26-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
If someone lived in cherry Hill, is there a possibility of working in KOP, using a 6:30 am drive or something like that. Or does that pretty much preclude them from doing so?
I lived in Cherry Hill for over 40 years. At one point I worked on City Line Ave. (Officially, it's City Ave., but everyone calls it City Line, because it is the city line.) I have known people who commuted to King of Prussia.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:

I have done the ride west on 76 from CC at 6:30 AM many times (live in CC and work in Plymouth Meeting); I would say so long as you left CH at 6:30 you would be mostly fine, maybe a 45 minute commute at that time, leaving at 7 adds a decent amount of time to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia