Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 06:34 PM

262 posts, read 790,134 times

Advertisements

I think of the largest job/economic centers in the Philly metro to be comprised of KOP + vicinity, Chery Hill + vicinity, and Philadelphia City. (Am I more or less correct?)

Without taking Philadelphia City (Center City, U. City, ..) jobs/economy into consideration (or access to it etc.), the question is:
how does Cherry Hill + vicinity jobs/economy compare with KOP + vicinity jobs/economy? (For vicinity, I suppose one could use a 5-10 mile radius).

Also, what are some significant advantages -- only in terms of easier access to a variety of job markets excluding Philadelphia city -- of living in Cherry Hill? (eg. access to Trenton jobs?)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 06:50 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athensvaasi View Post
I think of the largest job/economic centers in the Philly metro to be comprised of KOP + vicinity, Chery Hill + vicinity, and Philadelphia City. (Am I more or less correct?)

Without taking Philadelphia City (Center City, U. City, ..) jobs/economy into consideration (or access to it etc.), the question is:
how does Cherry Hill + vicinity jobs/economy compare with KOP + vicinity jobs/economy? (For vicinity, I suppose one could use a 5-10 mile radius).

Also, what are some significant advantages -- only in terms of easier access to a variety of job markets excluding Philadelphia city -- of living in Cherry Hill? (eg. access to Trenton jobs?)

Thanks!
I lived in Cherry Hill for 40+ years & never once did I think of Cherry Hill or King of Prussia in that way.

Philadelphia is the hub & everyplace else in the metro looks to it. The only other place in the metro that has some autonomy is Wilmington, Delaware.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:38 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,878,664 times
I don't know about the economics but I was at Maggiano's at the Cherry Hill Mall last night and it was so nice I might as well have been in Manhattan. They are definitely positing it as a KOP competitor for the region.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:02 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times
good comparison Athen.. Never thought of it that way but I see what you are saying.. The biggest advantage I think living in CH over KOP is its proximity to center city. CH is much closer.. Both areas are equally affluent and housing stock is equally as good.. CH alos has the advantage of small towns that are walkable nearby like Haddonfield, Collingswood, Merchantville, Moorestown.. Either area would be a great base to raise a family tha's for sure.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:52 AM

155 posts, read 372,164 times
If you at all plan on visiting Philadelphia for anything with regularity, be it work or entertainment or whatever, I wouldn't consider KOP. The Expressway is absolutely one of the worst roadways I've ever had to deal with. I currently live in Cherry Hill and think it's a pain to get into the city, I can't even fathom trying to deal with it from KOP.
My parents live over near Pittsburgh and I saw them more when I lived in Texas because I can't stomach sitting on the "sure to kill" driving 10 miles an hour.

That being said, if the majority of your world would be in those areas, they are both pretty nice.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:05 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
I'd agree with what others are saying. Cherry Hill area provides easy access not only to Cherry Hill, but to the entirety of Philadelphia as well. If I was picking one based solely on potential opportunity, it would probably be Cherry Hill. However, KOP has a large concentration of tech firms, so if that is your industry it may be the better choice.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:50 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,347,241 times
It seems the OP was asking about the advantages of Cherry Hill besides easier access to Philly. I don't know everything about KOP, but to answer that question, there probably isn't a ton of difference between the two towns themselves. But as everyone has said, the main advantage of Cherry Hill over KOP is its easier access to Philly (76 is brutal).

Old 03-26-2011, 08:00 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
good comparison Athen.. Never thought of it that way but I see what you are saying.. The biggest advantage I think living in CH over KOP is its proximity to center city. CH is much closer.. Both areas are equally affluent and housing stock is equally as good.. CH alos has the advantage of small towns that are walkable nearby like Haddonfield, Collingswood, Merchantville, Moorestown.. Either area would be a great base to raise a family tha's for sure.

Agree on the proximity but on the walkable towns? While I love Haddonfield and Moorestown and Collingwood are you suggesting they somehow are moreso than the Mainline, Conshy, Pheonixville etc. Actually the mainline (Wayne and Radnor are what 2 miles from the mall) if anything to me surpass the areas you are discussing in Jersey mostly because they are much larger. I love the towns but I think some of this is an overstatment, are Bryn Mawr, Ardmore, Berwyn, Conshy, Radnor, etc not walkable downtowns? By rail the Mainline is very quick to CC and without traffic on 76 (always a big if) KOP to CC can be done in about 17 minutes.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:03 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
It seems the OP was asking about the advantages of Cherry Hill besides easier access to Philly. I don't know everything about KOP, but to answer that question, there probably isn't a ton of difference between the two towns themselves. But as everyone has said, the main advantage of Cherry Hill over KOP is its easier access to Philly (76 is brutal).

Extremely True! and quoted for the truth

on job markets without knowing the numbers as was part of the OP question I would the KOP are could be 3 or more times the size of the CH/Mt Laurel area; I know I have read that KOP has more jobs than downtown Atlanta, though that could be a little of PR but in time in both the KOP job center does seem much more mamoth than does the CH area. But to the point, CH is definately easier and quicker to CC...

Old 03-26-2011, 08:18 AM

398 posts, read 733,022 times
The mainline towns are farther from KOP than Haddonfield, Moorestown, Collingswood, are from Cherry Hill. Those towns border Cherry Hill while the mainline towns are a good 15-20 mins away from KOP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia