Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 12:01 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,603,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracore View Post
Yes I was looking at that too. I have a big dog and they seem to be ok with large breeds. Palmyra seems to be "away" from some of the larger towns.. so possibly safer? This is one potential spot I'm considering.
Where Korman suites? That's a good spot, you can walk your dog along the river on Bank Avenue into Riverton..... no real crime to speak of there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 03:39 PM

9 posts, read 20,332 times
Where are you coming from? You know it is very expensive to live here.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:19 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sunflowers View Post
Where are you coming from? You know it is very expensive to live here.

In South Jersey it is not. The same as any other Philly suburb

Old 03-26-2012, 08:32 PM

27 posts, read 28,175 times
Default Same Boat

I'm in a similar position as the original person starting this thread. I'm interviewing for a position in the Jersey City area, and will be moving into NJ should the job come through. I differ from the original person, in that I'm older, perhaps more set in my ways, married, and currently live in the country (I'm on a dirt road now). Unfortunately, my career path has been specialized enough, that there aren't many like me available; I have to go where the work is. I'm still too young and too poor to retire.

I'm willing to commute about an hour. I don't know about mass transit, but I'm willing to give it a shot if that is better (but still not more than an hour). I've read the thread on EZ Pass, and I know NJ has lots of toll roads. Mass transit might be better ?

Currently, we have a 2500 sq ft home, 2 car garage, with 2 acres of property, and a 26 x 32 barn. I have a car, my wife has a car; we also have a 31 ft camper and a truck to tow it. If we move to NJ, we will need the space for parking, and a safe enough area that doesn't require bars on the windows. No children in schools, so good vs bad educational area doesn't affect us. We are definately 'country folk' that keep to ourselves, so rather than play sports, I tinker with older cars - I have a 1950 Dodge and a 1966 Chevy PU. I think parking is going to be an issue. We don't need 2500 sq ft anymore, so a smaller home (1200 - 1500 sq ft) would be fine.

What are the income and sale tax rates in NJ..? Threshold limits on income taxes..? Are there any 'odd' laws or rules that I should know about..? Being in the country, my house is protected by 'smith & wesson'.. what are the NJ rules for owning a weapon..? Perhaps I should have a family member hold on to it until I am ready to retire ? How about property taxes in areas about an hours commute away from Jersey City..? I realize this may be a lot of towns, if someone would be kind enough to list them, and maybe point to a web site for tax information. Looking at a map isn't going to tell me commuting time - it could be 30 miles for north of Jersey City and 45 miles if coming from the south (or vice versa).

Finally - assuming I get the job, it might be 6 months before my wife can join me (cleaning and selling our current home, my wife would be looking for work, etc), what about a temporary rental, while I commute on the weekends..? How does NJ handle out of state income for tax apportioning..?

I'm sure this will not be the end of my questions. Thank you for your responses.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:58 AM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
You should post this on the general NJ forum. This is the south Jersey sub-forum and most of us down here won't know much about the Jersey City area/north Jersey area.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:42 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Agree with ocnjgirl, this would be better posted on the main NJ board. The only thing I would say is that you are most likely going to have trouble finding both "country" and an hour or less commute into Jersey City.

Here is everything you need to know on NJ income taxes:

NJ Division of Taxation - New Jersey Tax Rate Information

Here is everything you need to know about owning a gun in NJ:

New Jersey State Police - Firearms Information

Old 04-02-2012, 06:16 PM

9 posts, read 20,332 times
You would not be living in Jersey City as it is not a good area to live in. Be prepared to pay $500,000. or more for a similar home and $10,000. or more in real estate taxes.

Good luck.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:47 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
I'd definitely head out 78 -- find something out near Whiting, Millington, Clinton, Scotch Plains. I don't know the prices but at least they are a little bit country.

You could also head up route 80.

But you're going to have a more than 1 hr commute - mostly because you'll be sitting in traffic.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:32 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,243 times
You are a single guy with a dog, mid 30's, looking to live in the NJ suburbs? My suggestion: don't do it. Its more boring than watching grass grow. Mount Laurel, Marlton, Cherry Hill is all SUV driving soccer moms. Move to Manayunk. Its a great place for single younger people and so many things to do. Its a village within a city, so its not that citified. Its also hilly and quite tree filled.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:09 PM

18 posts, read 42,539 times

Thanks to everyone posting to this thread, I have found my apartment within Cherry Hill (heck, I've got an SUV to drive my dog.. I guess I'll blend in with the soccer moms ) and minutes away from work which is quite helpful.

You are right though... I think it can be boring. But I'm not really the type of person who enjoys going to bars. Hopefully I'll find stuff to keep me occupied (join a Meetup group perhaps?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
You are a single guy with a dog, mid 30's, looking to live in the NJ suburbs? My suggestion: don't do it. Its more boring than watching grass grow. Mount Laurel, Marlton, Cherry Hill is all SUV driving soccer moms. Move to Manayunk. Its a great place for single younger people and so many things to do. Its a village within a city, so its not that citified. Its also hilly and quite tree filled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia