Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 12:29 AM

18 posts, read 42,543 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I may be moving to New Jersey but I have no knowledge of which areas are good to live in. All I know is that I don't want to be in Camden

Work location will be in Mt. Laurel. I will have a vehicle to get around.
I am used to living in suburban areas -- I am not a city person. Looking for somewhere safe to live in and in an area with modern type of buildings (I'm not into living in old buildings). Within driving distance to malls/shopping.

I'm single in my 30s and will be bringing a dog. To be honest, not sure what price range I'm aiming for renting. $1200-$1500?

any thoughts on areas I should look at?

And.. I just noticed. Is this even the right section to post in? I noticed there is also a New Jersey (main) forum

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 05:24 AM

198 posts, read 484,732 times
Mount Laurel is a great town and has many condos and townhouses available to rent. Moorestown and Marlton(Evesham) would also be great choices. No need to look any further away than those three.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:18 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,887,906 times
yes this is the right forum. NJ Bosch is right..

Old 02-18-2012, 04:16 PM

Thanks for your help!

Old 02-18-2012, 05:57 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,863,502 times
Also look at Cherry Hill.

There are also many other towns in that area that are both safe and convenient for commuting to Mt. Laurel, and are cheaper. Check out Merchantville and Pennsauken (though stay away from the areas closer to Camden) for lower rents. You can also look at Maple Shade. Since you are single and don't need public schools, you may come out ahead in those areas.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:00 AM

198 posts, read 484,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Also look at Cherry Hill.

There are also many other towns in that area that are both safe and convenient for commuting to Mt. Laurel, and are cheaper. Check out Merchantville and Pennsauken (though stay away from the areas closer to Camden) for lower rents. You can also look at Maple Shade. Since you are single and don't need public schools, you may come out ahead in those areas.

True but they are cheaper for a reason. The original poster should be aware that Pennsauken and Maple Shade are definitely not in the same league as Mt Laurel, Marlton, or Moorestown. I grew up in South Jersey and wouldn't even consider living in Pennsauken unless I had a very small housing budget. Maple Shade can be okay but it's largest apartment complex is nicknamed Fox "Ghetto".

Old 02-19-2012, 09:23 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,863,502 times
The areas of Pennsauken near Haddonfield Road, Maple Avenue, and Park Avenue are perfectly nice quiet areas.

Marlton has outrageous pain-in-the-ass cops that ticket drivers for everything under the sun. I would stay far away from that town. I'd rather live in Voorhees or Gibbsboro. Gibbsboro in particular has a nice small town feel. Moorestown has a stuffy vibe to it, and is a dry town (except for the mall now apparently). Out of those three, the only one I would live in is Mt. Laurel and it lacks a downtown. It is basically a bunch of subdivisions located off the highway.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:53 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,057,766 times
Collingswood is really nice if you are looking for easy access to visit Philadelphia. Don't rent at the "Heights of Collingswood" (Formally Parkview) apartments. I lived there 5 years and it changed owners 3 times. They really need to be torn down. I got tired of the police and fire dept there every other day and hearing my neighbors yell at their baby's daddy for not paying support on time.

Collingswood has a great downtown, lots of events, easy access to PATCO and lots of parks to walk your dog. And it only took me 20 min with heavy traffic to get to my office in Mt. Laurel.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:04 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,026,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBOSCH View Post
True but they are cheaper for a reason. The original poster should be aware that Pennsauken and Maple Shade are definitely not in the same league as Mt Laurel, Marlton, or Moorestown. I grew up in South Jersey and wouldn't even consider living in Pennsauken unless I had a very small housing budget. Maple Shade can be okay but it's largest apartment complex is nicknamed Fox "Ghetto".
Pennsauken is pretty much on its last leg at this point. There are certain areas that are ok for renting, but I would not buy a house there since value would be tough to hold up since it is on the decline. My father's family is from there and all of his relatives have since left after my grandparents' passings. Try googling up why they call it "Camsauken" now.

Maple Shade is a blue collar town, but hands down safer and better than Pennsauken. Lots of apartment complexes to choose from, not just Fox Meadow, which yes the name "Fox Ghetto" is pretty appropriate for. There is also Ryan's Run and Pickwick, those are a few I was looking at when I almost took a job in Northeast Philly last year.

Moorestown has some apartment complexes that I have not heard great things about, and granted this town has money, but the areas where the apartments themselves are in look kind of crappy actually.

Mt. Laurel has Ramblewood Village, which is supposedly good, and Evesham has Allison in the Marlton section which looks kind of old, but seems pretty solid from what I have heard.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
The areas of Pennsauken near Haddonfield Road, Maple Avenue, and Park Avenue are perfectly nice quiet areas.

Marlton has outrageous pain-in-the-ass cops that ticket drivers for everything under the sun. I would stay far away from that town. I'd rather live in Voorhees or Gibbsboro. Gibbsboro in particular has a nice small town feel. Moorestown has a stuffy vibe to it, and is a dry town (except for the mall now apparently). Out of those three, the only one I would live in is Mt. Laurel and it lacks a downtown. It is basically a bunch of subdivisions located off the highway.
I looked at voorhees and while I think it looks really nice, it looks like the prices for rentals in that area is crazy high. What makes that region so expensive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia