Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 09:28 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,568,408 times

Advertisements

What is the line to Gibbstown along the river?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 09:34 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,128,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post
Since Amtrak's decision weighs heavily, then there is no need for a Woodcrest station NJ Transit stop, or even the AC Line still needing to go to 30th street station. If someone in Washington DC is looking to get to Atlantic City via train or vice versa, the passenger wouldn't need to route via 30th Street, and could change trains at Market East.
Amtrak's plans for Market East involve high speed rail. All of their regional trains will still be using 30th St.

. . . but Amtrak to Market East doesn't really have any impact on the ACRL one way or the other. At present it's an excursion train that caters to a small number of commuters because it has an abysmal schedule. My suggestion is to increase the frequency on the part of the line in urban/suburban Philly/South Jersey and add a few stations/more connections to make it more effective as a transit service/connect it to more of the job/destination centers in the region.

As I mentioned - none of these trains would even go to AC. The system is about commuters, people going shopping or for a night out, not about intercity travel.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
What is the line to Gibbstown along the river?
All of lines in that light red color that run along state or US highway routes are basically express buses . . . except now when NJT runs them they use intercity coaches with on-board fare collection, only a handful of park-n-rides and few bus stops are dignified with so much as a plexiglass shelter.

My suggestion is to use higher capacity, low floor, articulated buses, have proper stops, at least half of the stops should have parking, fares should be collected at the stop (just like on the Riverline), etc. It wouldn't exactly be BRT but it would be faster than the current setup and a lot faster than the regular transit buses.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:33 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Heres my Proposals

Southeastern Pennsylvania & Southern New Jersey Rail & Transit Ideas

Light Rail

Riverline
West Trenton Transit Center
Lower Ferry Road
Parkside Ave
Prospect Street
Calhoun & Bernard Street
Calhoun & Passaic Street
State House
State and Warren Street
State and Canal Street

Trenton Transit Center
Hamilton Ave
Cass Street
Bordentown
Roebling
Florence
Burlington Towne Centre
Burlington South
Beverly-Edgewater Park
Delanco
Riverside
Cinnaminson
Riverton
Palmyra
Pennsauken-Route 73
Pennsauken Transit Center
36th Street
Copper Hospital
Atlantic Ave
Gloucester City
Crown Point Road
Red bank Ave
Woodbury JCT
Paulsboro
Gibbstown
Bridgeport
Penns Grove
Carney's Point
Pennsville

South Jerseyian LRT
Lower Ferry Road
Parkside Ave
Prospect Street
Calhoun & Bernard Street
Calhoun & Passaic Street
State House
State and Warren Street
State and Canal Street

Trenton Transit Center
Hamilton Ave
Cass Street
Bordentown
Roebling
Florence
Burlington Towne Centre
Burlington South
Beverly-Edgewater Park
Delanco
Riverside
Cinnaminson
Riverton
Palmyra
Pennsauken-Route 73
36th Street
Walter Rand Transportation ctr
Cooper Hospital
Atlantic Ave
Gloucester City
Crown Point Road
Red Bank Ave
Cooper Street
Woodbury Heights
Wenonah
Mantra Boulevard
Sewell
Pitman
Rowan University
Glassboro
Clayton
Newfield
Oak Road
Landis Ave
Walnut Road
Route 55 Park / Ride
Broad Street
Main Street - Millville

Hammonton LRT
Lower Ferry Road
Parkside Ave
Prospect Street
Calhoun & Bernard Street
Calhoun & Passaic Street
State House
State and Warren Street
State and Canal Street

Trenton Transit Center
Hamilton Ave
Cass Street
Bordentown
Roebling
Florence
Burlington Towne Centre
Burlington South
Beverly-Edgewater Park
Delanco
Riverside
Cinnaminson
Riverton
Palmyra
Pennsauken-Route 73
36th Street
Walter Rand Transportation ctr
Cooper St-Rutgers Univ.
Aquarium
Entertainment Center
Waterfront South
West Collingswood
Audubon
Barrington
Magolia
Stratford
Clementon
Pine Hill
Cedar Brook
Winslow JCT
Hammonton

Regional Rail

Bridgeton Commuter Rail
Philadelphia-30th Street Station
North Philadelphia

Cherry Hill
Lindenwood
Atco
Winslow JCT
Folsom
Buena
Vineland
Route 55 Park & Ride
Bridgeton

Atlantic City line
North Philadelphia

Cherry Hill
Lindenwood
Atco
Winslow JCT
Hammonton
Egg Harbor City
Absecon
Atlantic City

Cape May Branch
North Philadelphia

Cherry Hill
Lindenwood
Atco
Winslow JCT
Woodbine
Cape May Courthouse
Rio Grande
North Cape May
Cape May

Mount Holly Branch
Maple Shade
Moorestown
Hainesport
Mount Holly

Old 12-24-2012, 11:04 PM

932 posts, read 1,945,437 times
How about an NJT commuter train that links PATH and PATCO? To my knowledge, if you want to take the train from North Jersey to South Jersey, you have to take PATH to Penn Station, take the AMTRAK to 30th Street, the MFL to 8th street the walk to the PATCO.

To be fair, I've never actually made the trip, so maybe I'm making it more complicated than it needs to be, but maybe if PATCO and PATH were connected, I would have taken the train to North Jersey.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:47 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
How about an NJT commuter train that links PATH and PATCO? To my knowledge, if you want to take the train from North Jersey to South Jersey, you have to take PATH to Penn Station, take the AMTRAK to 30th Street, the MFL to 8th street the walk to the PATCO.

To be fair, I've never actually made the trip, so maybe I'm making it more complicated than it needs to be, but maybe if PATCO and PATH were connected, I would have taken the train to North Jersey.
Why would you need to link the PATH and PATCO there Urban systems that service Urban Jersey not Suburban systems...

New Jersey Transit Expansion ideas (Central Jersey)

Current , Under Construction , Proposed , Planned Stations

Regional Rail

Raritan Valley Line
Phillipsburg
Bloomsbury
Ludlow
Hampton
Glen Gardner

High Bridge
Annandale
Lebanon
White House
North Branch
Raritan
Somerville
Bridgewater
Bound Brook
Dunellen
Plainfield
Netherwood
Fanwood
Westfield
Garwood
Cranford
Roselle Park
Union
Hillside
Meeker Ave

Newark Penn station
Hoboken (Peak Hours only)

Lambertville Branch - Seasonal
Lambertville
Ringoes
Flemington
Three Bridges
Manville

Bridgewater
Bound Brook
Dunellen
Plainfield
Netherwood
Fanwood
Westfield
Garwood
Cranford
Roselle Park
Union
Newark Penn station
Hoboken (Peak Hours only)

West Trenton line
I-95 Park / Ride
Pennington
Hopewell
Belle Mead
Hillsborough

Bridgewater
Bound Brook
Dunellen
Plainfield
Netherwood
Fanwood
Westfield
Garwood
Cranford
Roselle Park
Union
Hillside
Meeker Ave

Newark Penn station
Hoboken

MOM Network

Red Bank - Fork River line
Forked River
Tom's River
Silver Ridge
Lakehurst
Jackson
Lakewood
Howell - Glen Road
Howell - Route 33
Eatontown

Red Bank
Middletown
Hazlet
Aberdeen-Matawan
Laurence Harbor
South Amboy
Perth Amboy
Woodbridge
Avenel
Rahway
Linden
Broad St. Elizabeth
North Elizabeth
Newark Airport
Newark Penn
Hoboken

Jamesburg Branch
Manchester / Lakehurst
Jackson
Lakewood
Howell - Glen Road
Freehold
Freehold Boro - Throckmorton Street
Manalapan
Jamesburg
South Brunswick

Jersey Ave (Southbound only)
New Brunswick
Edison
Metchun
Metropark
Rahway
Linden
Midtown Elizabeth
North Elizabeth
Newark Airport
Newark Penn station
Secaucus JCT
New York Penn

South Amboy Branch
Bordentown
Yardville
I-195 Park & Ride
Robbinsville
East Windsor
Rossmoor
Jamesburg
Helmetta
Spotswood
Route 18 Park & Ride
Madison Park

South Amboy West
Perth Amboy
Woodbridge
Avenel
Rahway
Linden
Broad St. Elizabeth
North Elizabeth
Newark Airport
Newark Penn
Hoboken

Highland Branch
Atlantic Highlands
Port Monmouth
Keansburg
Keyport

Aberdeen
Laurence Harbor
South Amboy
Perth Amboy
Woodbridge
Avenal
Rahway
Linden
Elizabeth
North Elizabeth
Newark Airport
Newark Penn Station
Secaucus JCT
New York Penn Station

Cape May line via Inland Connector
New York Penn Station
Secaucus JCT
Newark Penn Station
Newark Liberty Airport
Elizabeth
Linden
Rahway
Woodbridge
Perth Amboy
South Amboy
Matawan
Red Bank
Eatontown
Howell - Route 33
Howell - Route 195
Lakewood
Lakehurst
Crestwood Village
Chatsworth (Limited)
Winslow JCT
Woodbine
Cape May Courthouse
Rio Grande
North Cape May

Cape May

Light Rail

New Brunswick Light Rail
Bound Brook Train Station
Canal Road - South Bound Brook
Edgewood Terrace - South Bound Brook
Worlds Fair Dr - Franklin
JFK Boulevard - Franklin
Enters tunnel
Franklin Boulevard (underground) - Franklin
Hamilton Street (Underground) - New Brunswick
New Brunswick Station (Underground) - New Brunswick
Livingston Ave (Underground) - New Brunswick
Commercial & George (Underground) - New Brunswick
Feaster Park (Underground) - New Brunswick
Howard Street (Underground) - New Brunswick
Emerges from Tunnel
US 1 Park & Ride - North Brunswick
Washington Ave - Milltown
Rydners Lane - Milltown
Main Street - East Brunswick
Willet Ave - South River
Whitehead Ave - South River
Jernee Mill Road - Sayreville
South Minnisink Ave - Sayreville
Washington Road - Sayreville
Sayreville North
Stevens Ave North - South Amboy
Main Street Amboy

South Amboy Train Station

Princeton Streetcar
Princeton JCT
Wallingford Drive
D&R Canal Trail
Faculty Road
University South
Chambers Street
Whilterspoon Street
Washington road
University North
Harrison Street

Old 12-25-2012, 12:13 PM

756 posts, read 2,118,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
Amtrak's plans for Market East involve high speed rail. All of their regional trains will still be using 30th St.

. . . but Amtrak to Market East doesn't really have any impact on the ACRL one way or the other. At present it's an excursion train that caters to a small number of commuters because it has an abysmal schedule. My suggestion is to increase the frequency on the part of the line in urban/suburban Philly/South Jersey and add a few stations/more connections to make it more effective as a transit service/connect it to more of the job/destination centers in the region.

As I mentioned - none of these trains would even go to AC. The system is about commuters, people going shopping or for a night out, not about intercity travel.
I'm not sure I'm understanding. Within Philly, more ppl live within walking distance of Market East than by 30th Street station, and more employment is in Center City (which includes Market East) than by West Philly/30th Street station.

So, AC would benefit more if it had direct access to Center City/Market East than 30th Street, for the Atlantic County commuters into Philly, and for capturing Philly residents looking to gamble/spend money in AC.

Additionally it wouldn't lose longer access in that DC would be linked directly to Market East via Amtrak, where one could just change trains there at Market East than by 30th Street Station, in order to reach AC.

So, there would be less need for NJ Transit to be running a duplicative service from Camden County to 30th Street Station, when the existing PATCO line does it to Philly, is more direct and higher frequency, and overall does it better.

Last edited by avg12; 12-25-2012 at 12:27 PM..

Old 12-25-2012, 12:25 PM

756 posts, read 2,118,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post

Actually one doesn't need to trek into PA for this anymore with the RiverLine. It'd be PATH-Penn Station-NEC Corridor to Trenton-RiverLine to Camden-PATCO to Lindenwold-change to AC Line to Atlantic City.

It's a lot easier taking a bus however, or driving part of the way.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post
I'm not sure I'm understanding. Within Philly, more ppl live within walking distance of Market East than by 30th Street station, and more employment is in Center City (which includes Market East) than by West Philly/30th Street station.

So, AC would benefit more if it had direct access to Center City/Market East than 30th Street, for the Atlantic County commuters into Philly, and for capturing Philly residents looking to gamble/spend money in AC.

Additionally it wouldn't lose longer access in that DC would be linked directly to Market East via Amtrak, where one could just change trains there at Market East than by 30th Street Station, in order to reach AC.
Your premise doesn't hold so your conclusion can't follow. The center of employment in Center City is well west of City Hall. Penn is the largest employer in the city.

There aren't enough people commuting from Atlantic County to Center City to make a commuter service remotely viable. Average speeds on heavy rail lines like PATCO are typically lower than on commuter rail because they make more frequent stops and typically travel at slower speeds . . . not to mention that the multiple stations, signaling and ATC systems, double-tracking, third rail, electric sub-stations, etc, etc. would be exorbitantly expensive and once you get past Lindenwold or maybe Berlin the population density just doesn't exist to produce ridership and since development is restricted in most of the area it's not like the density will magically materialize.

Quote:
So, there would be less need for NJ Transit to be running a duplicative service from Camden County to 30th Street Station, when the existing PATCO line does it to Philly, is more direct and higher frequency, and overall does it better.
The service isn't duplicative. It isn't duplicative now and even if PATCO got to 30th St. it still wouldn't be. First, one is a heavy rail/subway service with a high level of service that mainly serves the boroughs of central Camden Co and Center City. If the ACRL became a commuter line it would have service on the hour or half hour, it would have a decidedly more suburban orientation in South Jersey and would connect with most of the high capacity transit lines in the region while still serving the more easterly parts of Camden Co. It would also serve North Philly while continuing to serve University City.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:14 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
There aren't enough people commuting from Atlantic County to Center City to make a commuter service remotely viable. Average speeds on heavy rail lines like PATCO are typically lower than on commuter rail because they make more frequent stops and typically travel at slower speeds . . . not to mention that the multiple stations, signaling and ATC systems, double-tracking, third rail, electric sub-stations, etc, etc. would be exorbitantly expensive and once you get past Lindenwold or maybe Berlin the population density just doesn't exist to produce ridership and since development is restricted in most of the area it's not like the density will magically materialize.
So basically what your saying is that the Atlantic City Line terminating in Center City would be worst than it's current terminal destination in West Philadelphia?

I don't know the exact percentage of people who catch the ACL and then transfer to Center City after they arrive at 30th Street Station but I'm willing to bet that more people from Atlantic County commute to Center City for work than University City.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 12-25-2012 at 09:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia