Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2012, 01:01 PM

5 posts, read 9,875 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My husband and I are returning to the area after a few years away. We used to live in Philly so know the area reasonably well. He will be working in the Wilmington area, I will be in Princeton. In terms of splitting the commuting difference, is there much of a differentiation traffic-wise between Haddonfield or Moorestown? We don't have to commute every day, but don't want a nightmare if we do have to do the drive.

Any suggestions on the PA side given this commute? We have a 3-year old and another one on the way so good schools and family-friendly are important to us.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 06:02 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,055,526 times
Both areas are nice, both have good schools. Both have a Friends school if you want to go the private school route. I would choose Haddonfield. It has a nicer downtown, easy access to 295 which you will take to Wilimington and Princeton. Also, access to PATCO for those times you want to visit the city. I lived in Collingswood and worked as a preschool and daycare photographer for a company in Trenton. If I had to photograph a school in DE it took me about 45min to get there during rush hour. I also photographed a daycare at a church in downtown Princeton. That took about an hour to get to. Only a few times did I have super bad traffic. For PA, I would pick somewhere on the mainline but the person who has to drive to Princeton will have a crappy long commute.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:38 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
Either area would be perfect.. Moorestown would be closer to Princeton and Haddonfield would be closer to Wilmington, so its a tie.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:53 PM

5 posts, read 9,875 times
Thanks all!

Old 01-02-2013, 12:08 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
I'd actually argue that Haddonfield isn't really all that much "closer" to Wilmington while still being farther away from Princeton. Here's the reason why: Moorestown affords really easy access to 295 North to head to Princeton and you get on past all of the major traffic areas in the morning and get off before you hit the major traffic areas at night. Haddonfield is a bit more a drive to 295 then from most areas of Moorestown. So, Moorestown makes more sense for Princeton.

However, it also makes more sense for Wilmington because you only need to take 295 south one exit to 73 and then pick up the NJTP (you basically get off right where the traffic starts backing up, you could also cut across Fellowship Road and eliminate the 295 part) and take that south to the Delaware Memorial Bridge and Wilmington. While this means paying a dollar or so toll each way, you completely eliminate the rush hour log jams on 295 with people getting into and out of Philly. While you can also get the NJTP from Haddonfield, it is a longer and more congested drive to get there. At rush hour in morning or night I think you could do Moorestown to Wilmington or vice versa faster then Haddonfield to Wilmington or vice versa.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:02 PM

691 posts, read 3,060,980 times
Agree with NJGOAT. I would choose Moorestown as it probably would shave close to 20-30min off the commute to Princeton as you avoid most of the 295 traffic. It also gives you 2 options to get to Wilmington (295 and the NJTPK).

Old 08-08-2014, 08:04 AM

4 posts, read 7,599 times
Bump.

I am working in Hamilton, NJ which is a bit south of Princeton and East of Trenton.I am looking at Haddonfield, I drove down after work to check it but hit nasty traffic on the way down and took me about 55 to an hour. I hear they are doing construction? Anyway, my GPS (which is very reliable on time of travel) is saying that it takes 45 minutes during rush hour on the way up, and I am going to check what it says on the way down. Is this a reasonable expectation? 45 minutes?

I like Haddonfield because of PATCO right to Philadelphia, and the area is generally nice. Moorestown could be an option, idk what the scene is like and if it has easy access to Philly like Haddonfield. I am young, 24, and want the relative convenience in my commute and things to do in my town and people to meet.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:32 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benc717 View Post
Bump.

I am working in Hamilton, NJ which is a bit south of Princeton and East of Trenton.I am looking at Haddonfield, I drove down after work to check it but hit nasty traffic on the way down and took me about 55 to an hour. I hear they are doing construction? Anyway, my GPS (which is very reliable on time of travel) is saying that it takes 45 minutes during rush hour on the way up, and I am going to check what it says on the way down. Is this a reasonable expectation? 45 minutes?

I like Haddonfield because of PATCO right to Philadelphia, and the area is generally nice. Moorestown could be an option, idk what the scene is like and if it has easy access to Philly like Haddonfield. I am young, 24, and want the relative convenience in my commute and things to do in my town and people to meet.
You may want to start a different thread since the other one is so old.

I am familiar with where you are in term of Hamilton NJ.

How easy is your access to I295 from you work place. If you can avoid RT1, that's a plus. I used to commute from Princeton Junction to Philadelphia everyday by car.

Certain part of Haddonfield has easy access to I295 and so does Moorestown. Moorestown, with the exception of the main street, houses are spread out more. There is no PATCO line to Philadelphia. You can go to the Riverline and then get into Camden then Philadelphia.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:58 AM

4 posts, read 7,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
You may want to start a different thread since the other one is so old.

I am familiar with where you are in term of Hamilton NJ.

How easy is your access to I295 from you work place. If you can avoid RT1, that's a plus. I used to commute from Princeton Junction to Philadelphia everyday by car.

Certain part of Haddonfield has easy access to I295 and so does Moorestown. Moorestown, with the exception of the main street, houses are spread out more. There is no PATCO line to Philadelphia. You can go to the Riverline and then get into Camden then Philadelphia.
Thanks for the timely response. I didn't have to use route 1 when I went down Friday. I hit inordinate amount of traffic but locals said there is construction recently (and it was friday)

Anyway, I am right by hamilton square on route 33. My GPS had me pop on 130 then 195-W (takes me 5 minutes to pop on 195-W) then to 295-S. I am currently looking at a place at 210 w crystal lake avenue. So it is plopped right in Haddonfield.

A coworker of mine said that the way up to work is not bad at all 40 minutes. But coming back, 295 tends to get jammed could be looking at like 50-55 minutes.

Now the Riverline, is that the AC rail line that runs through Cherry Hill? It runs mostly like 6am-10pm or something like that?

I am going to create a new thread too..

Old 08-11-2014, 09:22 AM

605 posts, read 1,259,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaf24 View Post
Hello all,

My husband and I are returning to the area after a few years away. We used to live in Philly so know the area reasonably well. He will be working in the Wilmington area, I will be in Princeton. In terms of splitting the commuting difference, is there much of a differentiation traffic-wise between Haddonfield or Moorestown? We don't have to commute every day, but don't want a nightmare if we do have to do the drive.

Any suggestions on the PA side given this commute? We have a 3-year old and another one on the way so good schools and family-friendly are important to us.

Thanks!
Our company does a lot of joint ventures with AstraZeneca which is in Wilmington and our firm is in Princeton. The half way point for our 'joint office' is in Mt. Laurel, right on route 38 because that is the half way point. hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia