Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 09:48 AM

240 posts, read 581,030 times

Advertisements

Try Maryland, Cheaper

A procedure that might cost you hundreds of dollars in Maryland could cost you thousands of dollars in New Jersey.

http://archives.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1004/28/cnr.05.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 07:52 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
no insurance is a great reason to have a natural birth
Do you mean an unassisted at home birth?

Old 08-23-2010, 08:05 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by umzaid View Post
could you please advise how much is the delivery -only- cost at st. peters compared to RWJ? both natural and C-section? I am not insured and I need to plan in advance..
any other cheap options in new brunswick? new jersey?
There is nothing cheap when it comes to spending time in a hospital for anything.

Unless you can claim indigent. Or illegal.

What you need to do is figure out which hospital you want to give birth in and find someone who works in the hospital that can help you figure it all out.

Or you could get yourself some insurance before giving birth (pregnancy is not a pre-existing condition). It would more than likely cost you a lot less in the long run.

Why don't you have insurance?

Old 08-24-2010, 04:18 AM

13 posts, read 66,886 times
I am saying ob/gyn in my country. I'll be arriving in my 8 month. Is there any one having estimate of st.peter costs for delivery only ( as the prenatal visits are already managed) , how much the bill for insured differs from non insured patients, as I know that insurance bills are exaggarated. Are there hospitals where midwives (or birth centers) are affiliated , I think this would be much safer , in case of complications ,so medical attention is around.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:20 AM

I am seeing ob/gyn in my country. I'll be arriving in my 8 month. Is there any one having estimate of st.peter costs for delivery only ( as the prenatal visits are already managed) , how much the bill for insured differs from non insured patients, as I know that insurance bills are exaggarated. Are there hospitals where midwives (or birth centers) are affiliated , I think this would be much safer , in case of complications ,so medical attention is around.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:53 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Do you mean an unassisted at home birth?
unassisted... not sure if you mean unassisted by drugs or by a doctor (or certified nurse midwife). I wouldn't suggest having a baby without one or the other. But yes I did mean either at home, or in the hospital.

umzaid, the short answer is YES. I know at Morristown that midwives have visiting rights, but there surely may be others.

BTW, just checked what the hospital billed my insurance - it was 10k for my wife and 4k for the kid.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:16 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,936,557 times
Quote:
I am saying ob/gyn in my country. I'll be arriving in my 8 month. Is there any one having estimate of st.peter costs for delivery only ( as the prenatal visits are already managed) , how much the bill for insured differs from non insured patients, as I know that insurance bills are exaggarated. Are there hospitals where midwives (or birth centers) are affiliated , I think this would be much safer , in case of complications ,so medical attention is around.

Anchor baby?

Old 08-24-2010, 08:14 AM

11 posts, read 77,114 times
Quote:
I am seeing ob/gyn in my country. I'll be arriving in my 8 month. Is there any one having estimate of st.peter costs for delivery only ( as the prenatal visits are already managed) , how much the bill for insured differs from non insured patients, as I know that insurance bills are exaggarated. Are there hospitals where midwives (or birth centers) are affiliated , I think this would be much safer , in case of complications ,so medical attention is around.
not sure what you are thinking.. you will fly from your country during 8th month which is also risky of premature delivery. And then you wont see a ob/gyn here in the US and directly find a hospital/care to deliver without insurance. do you live in US or is this the first time you are arriving here (during 8th month).

Old 08-24-2010, 06:35 PM

49 posts, read 149,358 times
I just asked my sister in law who birthed at St Peter's several years ago. She had a c-section with no complications and her baby did not go to the NICU. She stayed 4 nights. Her insurance paid the hospital and OB $27,000 and she paid $1000 out of pocket. She figured this means the hospital actually billed closer to $40,000 or $50,000. Her suggestion was to avoid St Peter's and RWJ due to their high cesareans rates (not that it's going to be easy to find a hospital with a low cesarean rate in this state). She used a midwife but the doctor from the practice came in to do the c-section so it didn't matter there. She said the OB/midwife's charge was $5000 whether it was vaginal or c-section; it also included both delivery and prenatal visits (she had no idea whether there would be a discount for fewer prenatal visits).

She also had a birth another NJ hospital a hour south of NB. She had no epidural or any medication for her labor and delivery which was an uncomplicated vaginal birth. The hospital charged her insurance a little over $8000 but the insurance paid less than half that.

You'll have to talk to the hospital about working with you as an uninsured patient. My good friend is a nurse and her hospital is trying to charge uninsured patients less to help them out.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:24 AM

no , not an anchor baby , but now I have some work committment outside USA , that's why I have all the medical oppointment there , however my insurance in USA is expired and I am trying to figure out a cheap way , that does not mean that I wont see a doctor till my delivery , I may do 1-2 visits after my arrival.
I am referring my case to people in this forum , just to share experience and explore alternatives. I am also thinking of a birth center in NJ , but I couldt google one yet. also , a midwife-affilated hospital is a second choice but I dont know if this would be an option for me in my late pregnancy. Alot of questions , and I appreciate helping me to plan for a safe and affordable delivery. I dont plan to rush to th ER in last minute and avoid payment, I hate people doing that , and that's why I am thinking seriously how to manage the situation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey