Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 03:52 AM

85 posts, read 178,125 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I was driving on the NJ Turnpike and had the misfortune to be trapped in a TWO HOUR traffic delay around exit 7, apparently there was a major fire and all lanes blocked. There were also other construction delays, etc. Then I had to PAY them to use this f*cking joke of a road. This is now the second time I've been in a major delay on the Turnpike, the last time was in the same general area only going northbound taht time. Never again...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 04:11 AM

5 posts, read 14,252 times
Same thing happened to us the end of September. Thanks to GPS and State of NJ Map we got off and used parallel roadways. We were traveling southbound. Better luck next time.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:03 AM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
How is it the Turnpike's fault if there was a fire? Couldn't that happen on any road??

Old 09-16-2010, 06:13 AM

85 posts, read 178,125 times
The point is that you PAY to drive on this thing and then have two hours of your day taken away. It's obviously an unsafe road, there are always accidents, construction delays, etc. Get rid of the toll booths and traffic would move a lot faster. Personally, I'm finished with toll roads, whether is be the turnpike, parkway, whatever. I'll take the slower routes from now on.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:43 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhilsPhan View Post
The point is that you PAY to drive on this thing and then have two hours of your day taken away. It's obviously an unsafe road, there are always accidents, construction delays, etc. Get rid of the toll booths and traffic would move a lot faster. Personally, I'm finished with toll roads, whether is be the turnpike, parkway, whatever. I'll take the slower routes from now on.
and all that volume going faster means more accidents and more closures...you see where I'm going. anyway, you're reaching. the toll booths on the TURNPIKE have nothing to do with accidents or slow traffic.

But good for you for not using them anymore, then you won't be complaining anymore. But I have a feeling if you're blaming the turnpike for a fire and road shutdown, nothing's going to make you happy.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:56 AM

312 posts, read 1,164,119 times
The only problem with the NJ turnpike is that it is congested. Please, accidents and road closures happen everywhere. Deal with it.

This is coming from a Philadelphia sports fan. These same fans would throw snow balls at santa claus.

9 Terrible Philly Fan Incidents ... And Their Harmless Explanations on Sports Pickle

Old 09-16-2010, 07:19 AM

5,772 posts, read 16,588,795 times
It's all because of a conspiracy not to build I-95 in NJ, so now we are stuck with it. And yes it gets your goat when you have to pay for the privilege of being stuck in a jam.

BTW what I mean is explained here, mostly in Map 1:

History of the Interstate 95 "Missing Link" of central New Jersey

Old 09-16-2010, 07:51 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:
You are from PA, Philly, I presume? Have you ever been on the Schuylkill Expressway? It's free, three times as dangerous, and much, much more jammed. The blue line is also, in my opinion, more jammed than the Turnpike.

I'm with the others here, but I do agree with you that there should be no toll roads in this country. In this case, however, the toll roads couldn't have caused a fire, on the main stretch of road. If it was the GSP or the AC Expressway at the Pleasantville toll plaza, then you'd have an argument.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:13 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
Quote:

Waaaa Waaaa WAAAAA!

Old 09-16-2010, 08:30 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,366,108 times
Quote:
Maybe you can write a letter to Christie, asking him to give more money to Mass Transit (rather than less), and raise the NJ gasoline taxes. Both of these options would get some of the cars off the road.

Of course, as demonstrated by your future boycott of toll roads, maybe we just need to set more fires, have more accidents and construction, so that the roads are ALWAYS packed. Then, EVERYBODY will go to the secondary roadways.

Nobody uses the turnpike anymore ... it's too crowded!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey