Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 11:19 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,629,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnjguy View Post
I'm happy with my job thanks. But if had no college degree and nothing else to do I would definitely become a cop for 50k and collect that sweet pension for the rest of my life beginning at age 48.
What's stopping you? Seems like a no brainer to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 11:22 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,629,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giveitome View Post
This doesn't really bother me. What bothers me is the freebies cops get and expect from people. I've heard of a lot of people with businesses get shaken down by cops basically demanding free goods for themselves and their families. Cops have no problems outright asking for a bribe. The others have NO problem protecting them and LYING when they say it's a rarity. Most cops are no better than the people they lock up.
I got a couple of new cars that way. Also got my wife a new washer and dryer when she needed it.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:24 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,480,492 times
I think they need more cops in NJ cities.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:36 AM

125 posts, read 134,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
I got a couple of new cars that way. Also got my wife a new washer and dryer when she needed it.
I'm really surprised she didn't get jewelry. Cops love to shake down jewelry stores and restaurants.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:47 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,663,583 times
Quote:
I've heard of a lot of people with businesses
I heard so it must be true.

Your numbers are incorrect. In 2013, the medium was 88K according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics. Not even high enough to make it half way up the list. The older article was based on their own survey. Accuracy is suspect at best. As the med. income has gone down, their findings are interesting at best. contract that had five stewps years ago now have 20. Their finding are biased at best. Out of that salary, ten percent goes into the pension payments
THEY are making. A significant portion pays for the health plan. State and federal taxes, medicare take a chunk. They may get 55 percent take home.

They you have the "nothing ever happens here" crowd. Want to bet? Politicians may want to ignore it but if you think the more affluent towns don't have domestics and other potentially violent incidents, then you're clueless.

But I have to laugh at those who whine that "nothing happens here". Sorry that the agency is doing such a great job that crime is low. Move to a town with a higher crime rate if it will make you happy.

Old 02-28-2015, 01:46 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,148,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
They you have the "nothing ever happens here" crowd. Want to bet? Politicians may want to ignore it but if you think the more affluent towns don't have domestics and other potentially violent incidents, then you're clueless.

But I have to laugh at those who whine that "nothing happens here". Sorry that the agency is doing such a great job that crime is low. Move to a town with a higher crime rate if it will make you happy.
I'm friends with a lot of cops. I know a state trooper that brags about how he parks his car in an inconspicuous area and falls asleep listening to talk radio. I know another cop in a suburban town that has told me the night shift will send one guy out on patrol while the rest of the crew hangs out at the station watching movies.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:19 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,627,203 times
Easy fix- GPS in the car.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:54 AM

125 posts, read 134,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I'm friends with a lot of cops. I know a state trooper that brags about how he parks his car in an inconspicuous area and falls asleep listening to talk radio. I know another cop in a suburban town that has told me the night shift will send one guy out on patrol while the rest of the crew hangs out at the station watching movies.
I've heard this but with sports.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:22 PM

116 posts, read 238,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstevenson1982 View Post
If you risk you life to keep others safe on a daily basis, what is a good salary you feel they deserve? Just like when I was in the military, others cried about what we make but would never stand in our place to get paid in peanuts. All the liberals out there believe that this country would function properly without the presence of law enforcement. Try it. What does the average doctor, lawyer, psychologist, judge, etc Etc make, a lot more than police. And why? A doctor will never take a bullet to save someone, a judge will never come from behind his desk to stop a convict going after someone, a lawyer will never work in bad weather and help stranded motorists, but police do every day.

After taxes, social security, FICA, Medicare and all those other deductions from my pay I make less than half of that number you see. I have to pay my own rent, bills, and healthcare because I'm not eligible for any assistance in my state. So don't say we make too much money because a third of my salary goes to taxes.
Everyone pays the same type of taxes you do buddy. I respect police, but maybe people wouldn't be as upset if they didn't have insane pensions that are bankrupting every town, city and state. Not to mention police acting like tax collector's on 4 wheels in towns where there is very little crime.

Old 03-02-2015, 03:21 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Rezoning many towns would be the only way to reduce police force. There are some towns that don't need many officers so they just assign them to do speed traps and become traffic summon machines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey