Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 10:10 AM

526 posts, read 1,391,908 times

Advertisements

I would avoid Bergen County and Essex County, unless you like paying excessively high property taxes.

Summit, Chatham, Madison, Morristown all have very walkable down towns, all have nice train stations, proud residents, and Real Estate markets which currently are doing better then the state average and because of the advantages they have, likely these towns will continue to do better than the state averages.

As far as school quality goes, take the online rating services with a grain of salt, first hand experence is that there is not a hill of beans worth of difference in education quality between Summit, Chatham, Madison, or Morristown schools. In order to see much difference you would have to be comparing against Newark or Irvington schools or places like that.

These people who make blanket statements that one school district is not that good, or another is so much better, make me wonder on what they are basing their comparison, because the accuracy of it seems very suspect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 10:23 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,936,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBoyer View Post
I would avoid Bergen County and Essex County, unless you like paying excessively high property taxes.

As far as school quality goes, take the online rating services with a grain of salt, first hand experence is that there is not a hill of beans worth of difference in education quality between Summit, Chatham, Madison, or Morristown schools. In order to see much difference you would have to be comparing against Newark or Irvington schools or places like that.

These people who make blanket statements that one school district is not that good, or another is so much better, make me wonder on what they are basing their comparison, because the accuracy of it seems very suspect.
I hope you are not advising your customers that they will receive the same educational opportunities in Morristown as they will in Summit. You may want to do a little more research before accusing others of making blanket statements, while making a ridiculous one all of your own.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:34 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,984,822 times
Metuchen?

Towns in Central Jersey like Freehold, Red Bank, etc are going to put you an hour or more from Morristown. Princeton is really expensive (so is Red Bank for that matter)

The closer to Morristown the better, right?

. . . and props to you for bringing the kids to a walkable town.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:55 PM

75 posts, read 300,972 times
Quote:
I hope you are not advising your customers that they will receive the same educational opportunities in Morristown as they will in Summit. You may want to do a little more research before accusing others of making blanket statements, while making a ridiculous one all of your own.
I'm rating this post positively because I could not agree with you more. This is particularly evident at the high school level.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:39 PM

173 posts, read 818,864 times
I'm not sure whether Morristown and Summit have the same educuation quality, but it's frustrating that people take issue with a "blanket statement" with simply a "blanket statement" of their own.

Don't be bashful about showing some facts; we parents could all benefit.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:52 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,936,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Boat View Post
I'm not sure whether Morristown and Summit have the same educuation quality, but it's frustrating that people take issue with a "blanket statement" with simply a "blanket statement" of their own.

Don't be bashful about showing some facts; we parents could all benefit.
A simple review of the High School Proficiency Assessment tests taken in grade 11 will show that Morristown High School is BELOW state average in Science, Language and Math. Not only that but the proficiency rates have dropped significantly year over year (2006-2007) sometimes as much as 11% (math). This is not the case with Summit where test scores are a good deal higher than the state average and have been for the last 5 years.

Let's not even talk about the incidence of violence at Morristown HS vs say Chatham, Madison or Summit.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,243 times
You might want to check out Bordentown. Very close to jobs in Trenton, Hamilton and Princeton.
Walkable downtown, relatively cheap, very safe and less of a city feel. Although the schools are not so great, everything else is.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:54 PM

48 posts, read 161,878 times
Livingston is your best bet... Happy Holidays
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey