Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 01:39 PM

28 posts, read 99,658 times

Advertisements

Looking at homes in the Spring Knolls and Heritage Woods development on Route 9 in Old Bridge, NJ.

Currently working in downtown Manhattan close to the WTC - any ideas on these 2 developments, OB town in general and the commute to downtown NYC?

Thanks in advance for your inputs and suggestions!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 02:06 PM

132 posts, read 446,197 times
I guess no one has any input yet, I'm also moving to Old Bridge soon. Can someone please give the OP some feedback?

Old 10-18-2010, 09:27 AM

132 posts, read 631,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdmehta76 View Post
Looking at homes in the Spring Knolls and Heritage Woods development on Route 9 in Old Bridge, NJ.

Currently working in downtown Manhattan close to the WTC - any ideas on these 2 developments, OB town in general and the commute to downtown NYC?

Thanks in advance for your inputs and suggestions!!
Both of those developments are in a pretty nice area but although across from each other, very different. Spring Knolls is much older, at least 18 years, smaller homes and lots. Heritage Woods is only 5-6 years old, bigger homes with some models reaching 2400 sq ft, and bigger lots compared to Spring Knolls. Heritage Woods also has a club house with a tennis court, swimming pools, and private room available for functions. Prices are approximately $325K for Spring Knolls and $500k for Heritage but you probably know that already. That part of Old Bridge is near the sourthern most part of Middlesex county and in what many consider, the nicer part of Old Bridge.

Both developments are zoned for McDivitt elementary and Jonas Salk middle school which are the better schools in Old Bridge. Old Bridge only has one high school and all the kids attend Old Bridge High School, including those with less desirable character and motivation for learning.

As for commuting to Wall Street, the bus stop is right on Rte 9 and Trans Old Bridge which is only a 10 minute walk. Bus ride is approximately 1 hr 10 min to Wall Street depending on the time of day. From what I hear, the killer part of the commute are the traffic jams from the Holland Tunnel and NYC downtown. Hence, many riders try to embark on their commute before 6:45am. There is also a parking lot for Old Bridge residents on Rte 9 right outside the developments.

Old Bridge is a middle class town with both white collar and non white collar professionals. It is a mix of caucasions and asians. Schools are decent but not the best. The area you are inquiring about is very convenient to Rte 9, Rte 18, GSP, and I-95. Close to East Brunswick, Edison, Matawan, Holmdel, Marlboro, Freehold, and Manalapan. The Old Bridge township offices are very convenient with many services, recycling center, a very good library, tennis courts, and ice skating rink. Easy access for all types of shopping, supermarkets, and restaurants.

If your price range can easily afford $500k+, you should strongly research into neighboring towns like Marlboro, Freehold, Holmdel, and Manalapan which offer better schools. They are also very convenient in terms of all-around-access but with a longer commute being the number one sacrifice.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:14 PM

Thank you so much ez2do4now - this is great information!

Since we recently had a baby, high schools is not an issue at this point as this will be our first "starter" type home where we will be happy if we can spend the next 4-5 years and then maybe move on something bigger and better.

Commute is a big factor since I am moving from Jersey City and have had an easy commute to NYC for many years and don't want to end up doing 2 hrs each way which I suspect will be the case with towns like Freehold, Manalapan etc...agreed they are much better towns but I guess it will be too far for us at this point - I guess we could look into these areas in the future.

I have heard about the bus and it could be a nightmare with the traffic - I was wondering if there are any train stations nearby that one could use. I know there is one in Matawan but heard the parking situation is crazy so that may not be an option...what other types of commuting options people use generally from these towns to get to NYC apart from the bus??

Thanks!!

Old 10-18-2010, 03:16 PM

877 posts, read 2,838,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ez2do4now View Post
Both of those developments are in a pretty nice area but although across from each other, very different. Spring Knolls is much older, at least 18 years, smaller homes and lots. Heritage Woods is only 5-6 years old, bigger homes with some models reaching 2400 sq ft, and bigger lots compared to Spring Knolls. Heritage Woods also has a club house with a tennis court, swimming pools, and private room available for functions. Prices are approximately $325K for Spring Knolls and $500k for Heritage but you probably know that already. That part of Old Bridge is near the sourthern most part of Middlesex county and in what many consider, the nicer part of Old Bridge.

Both developments are zoned for McDivitt elementary and Jonas Salk middle school which are the better schools in Old Bridge. Old Bridge only has one high school and all the kids attend Old Bridge High School, including those with less desirable character and motivation for learning.

As for commuting to Wall Street, the bus stop is right on Rte 9 and Trans Old Bridge which is only a 10 minute walk. Bus ride is approximately 1 hr 10 min to Wall Street depending on the time of day. From what I hear, the killer part of the commute are the traffic jams from the Holland Tunnel and NYC downtown. Hence, many riders try to embark on their commute before 6:45am. There is also a parking lot for Old Bridge residents on Rte 9 right outside the developments.

Old Bridge is a middle class town with both white collar and non white collar professionals. It is a mix of caucasions and asians. Schools are decent but not the best. The area you are inquiring about is very convenient to Rte 9, Rte 18, GSP, and I-95. Close to East Brunswick, Edison, Matawan, Holmdel, Marlboro, Freehold, and Manalapan. The Old Bridge township offices are very convenient with many services, recycling center, a very good library, tennis courts, and ice skating rink. Easy access for all types of shopping, supermarkets, and restaurants.

If your price range can easily afford $500k+, you should strongly research into neighboring towns like Marlboro, Freehold, Holmdel, and Manalapan which offer better schools. They are also very convenient in terms of all-around-access but with a longer commute being the number one sacrifice.

Hope this helps.
You pretty much nailed it. Except let me add a few things.

The high school is the largest in Middlesex County, with over 3,000 students, which like you said takes kids from all parts of town. But being that I know many people who emerged from there I can tell you it seems like it is big enough for everyone to find their place and thus know what groups of kids not to mix with.

The only complaint people I know from OB have is the police department.

I hate Manalapan. Grew up there and couldn't leave too soon. Marlboro is similar. I see no convenience in any of those towns in comparison to OB, they are overpriced with insufficient infrastructure and suck the life out of all their residents. No quality of life there unless you make over a million a year. And anyone who does wouldn't be foolish to make an investment in such a desolate money pit. Freehold Twp hasn't gotten that bad yet. Holmdel doesn't seem as "snooty" as Manalapan or Marlboro but I think you'll pay even more money there. And the developments there don't do anything for me personally. Kinda gaudy and dull.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:51 PM

132 posts, read 631,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdmehta76 View Post
Thank you so much ez2do4now - this is great information!

Since we recently had a baby, high schools is not an issue at this point as this will be our first "starter" type home where we will be happy if we can spend the next 4-5 years and then maybe move on something bigger and better.

Commute is a big factor since I am moving from Jersey City and have had an easy commute to NYC for many years and don't want to end up doing 2 hrs each way which I suspect will be the case with towns like Freehold, Manalapan etc...agreed they are much better towns but I guess it will be too far for us at this point - I guess we could look into these areas in the future.

I have heard about the bus and it could be a nightmare with the traffic - I was wondering if there are any train stations nearby that one could use. I know there is one in Matawan but heard the parking situation is crazy so that may not be an option...what other types of commuting options people use generally from these towns to get to NYC apart from the bus??

Thanks!!
It is approximately 20 min from Spring Knolls/Heritage Woods to the Matawan train station. You already know of the long waiting list for available parking spaces but assuming you obtain a parking spot, add another 10 minutes for parking and walking to the station. That is already 30 minutes into your commute and the train hasn't moved yet. Once you arrive at Penn Station, between the pedestrian tunnels/stairs, subway ride, and peeps holding the subway doors forever, you will be in WTC area after another 20 min. Add that to Matawan-PennStation 50 min ride and that makes it a 1 hr 40 min.

The bus ride will be a little shorter and cheaper. I have even crunched some numbers on a spreadsheet to estimate the cost of driving to Jersey City, parking, tolls, gas, etc, and either taking the ferry/Path to NYC, and after all the costs are added up, taking the bus still comes out cheaper.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:18 PM

111 posts, read 416,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ez2do4now View Post
It is approximately 20 min from Spring Knolls/Heritage Woods to the Matawan train station. You already know of the long waiting list for available parking spaces but assuming you obtain a parking spot, add another 10 minutes for parking and walking to the station. That is already 30 minutes into your commute and the train hasn't moved yet. Once you arrive at Penn Station, between the pedestrian tunnels/stairs, subway ride, and peeps holding the subway doors forever, you will be in WTC area after another 20 min. Add that to Matawan-PennStation 50 min ride and that makes it a 1 hr 40 min.

The bus ride will be a little shorter and cheaper. I have even crunched some numbers on a spreadsheet to estimate the cost of driving to Jersey City, parking, tolls, gas, etc, and either taking the ferry/Path to NYC, and after all the costs are added up, taking the bus still comes out cheaper.
If the bus ride is 1hr 10 min, don't you have to drive to the bus stop and then you act like the bus drops you off right in front of your building. Also don't you have to stand around and wait for the bus? It doesn't just show up exactly when you get the bus stop.

I personally prefer the train over the bus anyday.

There are plenty of private parking spots at the matawan train station. Not sure why so many people on here refer to it as a nightmare or crazy parking situation. The private lots are a 5 minute walk to the station tops.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:09 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,370,430 times
Bus ride will kill you..Minimum of 1 Hr..More like 1.5 to 2 HRS each way. I did it from Marlboro/RT.9 to downtown wallstreet - Academy bus. Commute was just so bad. Especially coming home on a Friday. More like 2 hrs. I do not suggest Old Bridge/Marlboro/Freehold or anything around there if you are working in NYC.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:07 PM

Thanks for all the inputs - I do know someone who does the bus commute from route 9 to wall street and apparently it is more like a 1 and half hour on a good day to 2 hours on a bad day and bad days generally tend to be the norm than good days which includes driving/walking to the bus, waiting for it, finding a seat and then dealing with the traffic.

I personally prefer the train commute to a bus ride and really hoping there is parking available at Matawan - does anyone have any information on the parking lots that the previous post mentioned. How much does it cost, is the parking available for someone reaching the station say around 7:15-7:30 am? I have read a lot of posts from people saying it is next to impossible to finding parking in private lots after about 6:30am - is this true?

Any inputs from people actually commuting from Matawan would be very helpful.

Thank you!!

Old 10-18-2010, 10:00 PM

111 posts, read 416,615 times
As far as parking in Matawan, I don't know any numbers to call but if you drive over by the station you'll see signs that advertise parking. One place that I believe has parking is the japanese restaurant right across from the station. There's also always a sign by the strip mall across from the station on main st that advertises parking. There's a lot behind the strip mall. I think it's about $50 bucks a month. Doesn't matter what time you arrive if you get a private spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey