Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2007, 04:49 PM

3 posts, read 16,692 times

Advertisements

Well I was born in Secaucus and raised in Hudson County. At one point it was great but it seems that recently everything is going to hell!! I used to love living here and dreamed about having kids and raising them here but now that's impossible to do. Nowadays kids are stabbing each other and actually carrying guns, most of the girls(as young as 11) dress extremely slutty trying to pick up guys walking up and down bergenline. The teenage pregnancy has shot thru the roof!! I know this happens all over the country but here it's happening at a very fast pace...Meanwhile the rents are ridiculous a 2 bedroom goes for no less than $1,100 and that would be a rodent infested apt. I now have a 5 yr old and a 1yr old and am looking for a way out. I recently went to visit my brother who as soon as he had kids fled to GA, and let me tell you it's a great place to raise kids... the pizzeria and bodega may not be down the block but the 10 minute drive is definitely worth my family's safety. The have a 2 level one family house with 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms their mortgage is $800!!! U can't even find a studio for that much in Jersey!!! Even though Bergen County is one of the wealthiest counties in the U.S. but how does that help us middle income households??? Especially if employers wanna pay a minimal salary and work you like a slave?? I definitely can't stay here to raise my kids. Don't get me wrong I love NJ it has a lot to offer but it's not for every one it's definitely not for starting a family unless of course you're loaded with cash!! So I just may move to the South and leave NJ and the rest of the tri-state area for visits only!!!

Last edited by DevLsAnJeL62; 01-12-2007 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: grammer correction

Old 01-13-2007, 04:41 PM

543 posts, read 1,456,192 times
It's understandable that you would have to leave for a better life for your children. It is crazy here as far as prices and taxes, something's got to be done as we are losing residents. It's really sad..

Old 01-13-2007, 04:56 PM

185 posts, read 755,376 times
Default Good Decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofNY/NJ View Post
You forgot JC NJ has turned to garbage. We have the privilige of being conjested here and paying for all the welfare programs that are attracting more and more filth to NJ. There is really no reason to even live here. I am currently looking to move out of this entire area. I am not gonna follow the herds to the south. I'm a full blooded yankee. Just cant do it. So I am stuck here till I figure this mess out.
I think you are right on the money about not moving south.....I did 2 years ago and its quite a culture shock. IMO, the quality of life here is better: cheaper housing, taxes and insurance, but most of my family and friends are still in the North ........complaining about the cost of living there. As far as I'm concerned, home is where the heart is, no matter what the cost.

Taxes are cheaper here in the South, but you have no amenities and the traffic is horrendous here, also.

Old 01-13-2007, 07:45 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,758,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltyemi View Post
Living down the shore (in South Jersey) is expensive but the towns are nice. Around Ocean City is nice-Marmora, Oceanview, Sea Isle City, Cape May, all are nice-but you have to have alot of money to live there.
This isn't the cheapest place to live here at the shore, but it's not the most expensive either (except the islands and Cape May, some knock-your-socks-off real estate there). Most people I know aren't millionaires. There are plenty of us 'regular folks' who enjoy working and living here - and enjoy living minutes from the beach!

I've noticed this area growing recently. I've met new families in our neighborhood and town who moved from California, Hawaii, Michigan and Georgia. I guess more people are catching on to how nice it is here. It's interesting to observe the changes.

Old 01-14-2007, 09:17 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,629,829 times
I know this may stir up some emotion but don't loose sight of the fact that NJ has one of the highest per capita incomes in the U.S. That obviously effects home prices etc. I know the per capita figure can be misleading but take it into account.

Old 01-15-2007, 02:19 PM

146 posts, read 909,788 times
I absolutley agree with the poster who was talking about Passaic and how rent is 2000 a month. I agree with everything you said. Thats why im leaving NJ.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:15 PM

1 posts, read 4,412 times
I just saw your post. I just moved here to NJ last year after losing my home and everything I owned in Hurricane Katrina. You mentioned that the people were extremly rude. Boy, have I experiened that. Why is it that they are your best friends for months and then treat you like hell has frozen over after they get to know you? Have I just had bad experences or what?

Old 01-17-2007, 12:01 PM

215 posts, read 1,164,636 times
Not everyone is rude, but most are too busy to stop and say simple things like "hello", "excuse me", "thank you."

I lived in SC for a few months back in 2004, and I was not used to the friendliness of the people -- little things like people starting nice conversation in the grocery store line. Unfortunately SC didn't work out and I came back to NJ.

Now my husband and I are packing up the babies and headin south again -- this time WV. The mountains are gorgeous and the people even friendlier.

Up here in the Northeast (philly, NJ, NY), most people don't have time to be nice, IMO.

Old 01-17-2007, 12:37 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
I've never really experienced the whole "rude NJ" thing with any kind of frequency that I'd consider unusual. In fact, I've found people to be easier to get along with or strike up a conversation with here than I ever did while living in Las Vegas and spending time in California.

As an example, we had to take my 5 y/o daughter for some bloodwork a few weeks ago, and most labs won't draw blood from anyone under 14 (understandable if you've ever taken a 5 y/o for bloodwork....lol). So, we went to the outpatient testing group at the local hospital. Here we are on a Saturday morning, waiting patiently with 1/2 a dozen adults, most of whom should have been somewhat cranky because they had to fast prior to their bloodwork, with a 5 y/o who was sobbing and just short of begging that we not make her get her bloodwork done.

Now, according the the typical "rude NJ people" theory, one would think that people would start complaining about her, telling here to keep quiet, chastising us for not being able to keep her quiet, etc. Instead, every person in that waiting room was talking to her, telling her it would be OK, making her laugh, etc. One big guy even started telling her "I might look like a big guy, but even I was scared the first time I went for bloodwork. Now I know it's nothing to be afraid of". These people actually helped her to calm down and stop crying. Of course, what happened when we actually got into the room with the lab tech is another story....lol.

This isn't to say that I haven't seen my share of rude behavior in the past, but making it a blanket statement like some tend to is a bit much.

Bob

Old 01-17-2007, 01:56 PM

215 posts, read 1,164,636 times
Of course I'm come across nice people in NJ -- and in a hospital waiting room when taking my son to get blood done I found most people to be nice too.

But all in all I find people more friendly elsewhere -- mostly in the southern states (SC, NC, GA, WV, VA, etc). I've lived in NJ for 20 years, and although I was never born and raised in the south, I guess I'm a southerner at heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey