Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 09:24 AM

237 posts, read 1,110,872 times

Advertisements

We consider Central NJ (which includes Mercer County) the mid point between NY and Philadelphia because both are about 1 hour away depending on whether you head north or south on the Turnpike. I even have some neighbors who commute to Delaware daily. Most of our commuters though head north to NYC because many have relocated from that area.

Last edited by NORMGLO; 12-03-2008 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: word omitted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 01:35 PM

837 posts, read 854,186 times
I've always considered Mercer County (Trenton, Hamilton, Ewing, and Lawrence) as part of the Philly orbit. When you get to Princeton, that's where teh NYC/Philly line starts to change!!! Plus the Philly media does coverage in the Trenton area (other than state issues)!!! NYC media doesn't!!!

Old 12-05-2008, 01:54 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,928 times
Only Hudson/Union/Essex/Bergen/parts of Passaic and Middlesex counties are the only ones that qualify as NYC Metro. Middlesex is pushing it.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:59 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,951,991 times
philly

Old 12-05-2008, 03:16 PM

Folks in Princeton read the Trenton Times and Star Ledger as local papers.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:22 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,979,006 times
We've done this before:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
From the Trenton train station commuters to Philly/NYC are probably about even because you can either hop on an NJ Transit train to New York or a SEPTA train to Philadelphia. Of course there is also a train station in West Trenton which only provides service to Philadelphia. Way more people commute from the Hamilton and Princeton Junction (both located within Mercer County) train stations to New York though. TV channels are as follows:

2 New York
3 Philadelphia
4 New York
5 New York
6 Philadelphia
7 New York
10 Philadelphia

Depending on what part of the county you're in (and how good your radio is) you usually get 93.3 WMMR and 94.1 WSYP than 92.3 or Z100. AM stations are split too-you can get 770 WABC just as well as KYW 1060. There are Jets, Giants, and Eagles fans as well as Devils, Rangers, and Flyers fans interspersed all over the place. I grew up in the southeastern part of the county but was raised a Giants/Devils fan. I do retain the Philly/South Jersey accent though, but as more and more people move into Mercer County that will begin to change I guess.

The county itself is fairly diverse also. Hopewell and Pennington are nothing like Hamilton and Hightstown and Trenton and Ewing are nothing like East Windsor and Princeton. Hopewell has rolling hills and Hightstown has flat farmland. Trenton is an aging post industrial city and Princeton is a rich and vibrant college town. In short, Mercer County is a hard place to pin down. Once you move south into Burlington it becomes the Philly metro region without a doubt. East into Somerset/Monmouth County is definitely New York. North into Hunterdon/Warren is a bit iffy. Sussex is New York though.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:31 PM

96 posts, read 236,993 times
To me, and this is an out-of-staters view so you can bust my chops if you want, but Princeton (Mercer County) is Central Jersey where I've heard some say "hoagie" (South=Philly) and others say "sub" (North=NYC). Yet Princeton is an ivy league university town with lots of out-of-staters in it to begin with and not "Jersey" like NB/Rutgers. Trenton geographically I identify with Philly, yet I was watching this videoblog documentary that interviewed a guy who said he observes more folks taking the NJTransit (to NYC) than the SEPTA (to Philly) out of there.

It's an intriguing topic the whole North vs South question. Is there a Central Jersey? Maybe it's Princeton.

Cheers,
Sofie

Old 12-05-2008, 03:47 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
About a year ago, I made a map making what I thought was the border, so I thought I would update it. I made the line of demarcation, then made a 10 mile buffer. Finally, I selected all muncipalities that shared the border with the buffer. These towns are what I would label transition areas, meaning, they share some Philly and some NY media together. In terms of what each area relates to, I'd say most would relate to Philly, but many of these tend to commute towards NYC.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:06 PM

Looking at the question from the real estate industry perspective, Princeton and Trenton are included in the same area for FHA purposes.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:20 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
About a year ago, I made a map making what I thought was the border, so I thought I would update it. I made the line of demarcation, then made a 10 mile buffer. Finally, I selected all muncipalities that shared the border with the buffer. These towns are what I would label transition areas, meaning, they share some Philly and some NY media together. In terms of what each area relates to, I'd say most would relate to Philly, but many of these tend to commute towards NYC.

Your demarcation looks like the old border between East Jersey and West Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey