Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 07:05 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,752,965 times

Advertisements

You asked the same exact questions in this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...-question.html

Please re-read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 07:51 PM

1,838 posts, read 676,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp_Yankee View Post
I think in general that's true, but just as Mercer is a complete toss-up, some of the Monmouth, Middlesex, and Burlington border towns are as well:

BURLINGTON
  • Bordentown City
  • Bordentown Township
  • Chesterfield

Increasingly, I think you tend to find a lot of North Jersey transplants in these areas and that you still tend to get both Philly and NYC networks offered on local cable systems. You definitely get terrestrial radio from both markets in these towns. I spent a lot of time in these towns in my younger years and it was difficult to tell where Mercer ended and Burlington began.

MIDDLESEX
  • Cranbury
  • Plainsboro

Cranbury and Plainsboro I feel are toss-up-to-definitely-NYC-metro. Plainsboro is one of the few towns which has a cross-county school district (West Windsor-Plainsboro) which brings in Mercer influence, but both areas are NYC commuter hotbeds. Interestingly, Cranbury also has a sending relationship with Princeton, which also brings in some toss-up Mercer influence, but still, these towns are more NYC oriented.

MONMOUTH
  • Upper Freehold
  • Allentown
  • Millstone
There are no New York channels on cable in Bordentown. Comcast which services the area only has NYC when you get into the Trenton system.

I'm not sure how you say those Middlesex/Monmouth county towns are "toss-up" but then say also lean NYC. The lean is so much stronger to NYC than Philly to be "toss-up"

I can tell when Mercer ends and Burlington begins. Burlington has dumpy/dilapidated shopping centers, and less in way of of those big office parks. Pretty much you see discount stores, car dealerships, Wawa lining up northern Burlington county, but it doesn't become more diversified until you get away from 130, and south towards/into Mt. Laurel.

Terrestrial Radio for NYC in Burlington County might be possible with car radio, but for most part, Philly stations are stronger. The 101.1 you get is B101, not the New York 101.1.

Last edited by g555; 06-07-2019 at 08:12 PM..

Old 06-08-2019, 04:43 AM

480 posts, read 480,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g555 View Post
There are no New York channels on cable in Bordentown. Comcast which services the area only has NYC when you get into the Trenton system.
Never actually lived there so I wasn't sure, but I had thought that was true at one time.

Quote:
I'm not sure how you say those Middlesex/Monmouth county towns are "toss-up" but then say also lean NYC. The lean is so much stronger to NYC than Philly to be "toss-up"
Just in terms of sports allegiances and what part of the state they "feel like," ie: South Jersey vs. North Jersey, both which are proxies for the Philly and NYC Metro areas.

Quote:
I can tell when Mercer ends and Burlington begins. Burlington has dumpy/dilapidated shopping centers, and less in way of of those big office parks. Pretty much you see discount stores, car dealerships, Wawa lining up northern Burlington county, but it doesn't become more diversified until you get away from 130, and south towards/into Mt. Laurel.
Along the 130/206 corridor sure. I was referring more to the Chesterfield/Crosswicks/Bordentown Township areas.

Quote:
Terrestrial Radio for NYC in Burlington County might be possible with car radio, but for most part, Philly stations are stronger. The 101.1 you get is B101, not the New York 101.1.
NYC radio is easily received in the border towns of Burlington County.

Old 06-09-2019, 02:07 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,438,355 times
Still don't get why Hunterdon would go for Philly, given it is so far north.

Old 06-09-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
Still don't get why Hunterdon would go for Philly, given it is so far north.
I don't think its so much that Hunterdon itself is influenced by Philly, I think it's that Hunterdon/Warren are influenced by the Lehigh Valley which is influenced by Philly. Lots of Eagles and Flyers fans up here for sure.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:46 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Highly scientific but this makes sense as someone just over the border

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...40.263,-75.545

Old 06-10-2019, 06:13 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,438,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp_Yankee View Post
I don't think its so much that Hunterdon itself is influenced by Philly, I think it's that Hunterdon/Warren are influenced by the Lehigh Valley which is influenced by Philly. Lots of Eagles and Flyers fans up here for sure.
Yep...I think I've been looking at this NY/Philly divide in NJ the wrong way.
It's not that Cranbury/Jamesburg or Highstown are suburban NYC versus Philly....it's that the areas surrounding Trenton are the suburbs of Trenton, which are orientated towards Philly/the DE river...whereas north of I-195, those areas really are suburbs of New Brunswick, which is orientated towards NY harbor not the DE river and NY.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:20 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
It's not that Cranbury/Jamesburg or Highstown are suburban NYC versus Philly....it's that the areas surrounding Trenton are the suburbs of Trenton, which are orientated towards Philly/the DE river...whereas north of I-195, those areas really are suburbs of New Brunswick, which is orientated towards NY harbor not the DE river and NY.
By Jove, I think you've got it!

Old 06-11-2019, 09:07 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,545,186 times
Quote:
As someone who lives in that area, Yes.

Old 06-11-2019, 12:13 PM

Interestingly I am looking into "cutting the cord" and going with an Amazon Recast which will allow us to integrate Amazon Fire TV (content via internet streaming) and over-the-air TV which I'll need to install a roof mount antenna to get. I should have no problem pulling in channels 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, and 10, which means I'll get New York and Philly news just like when I was growing up in Mercer County. My wife, who grew up on New York news gets a chuckle out of the fact that just hearing this instantly brings me back to my childhood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JLkMqtUG1w
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey