Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2022, 03:20 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,345,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Talk about an old thread, 2007...

My son used to work for DirecTV when we lived in Burlington County in 2006, he serviced Trenton, his home office was next to Moorestown, also in Burlington County.

He's now with Comcast. I'm not sure if they service Trenton too, I'll have to ask him if I remember. We live farther South in Gloucester County now.
Comcast services Trenton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2022, 03:23 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,345,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
That map is a crock. It had Florence, Bordentown and Plumsted in Central Jersey. Anything in Burlington County or south is obviously South Jersey.

Old 12-31-2022, 06:28 PM

32,944 posts, read 36,386,492 times
Quote:
I can't believe that someone would think that Lacey Twp. is anything other than Southern NJ.

Old 01-02-2023, 10:49 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,026,863 times
I consider it its own thing, but more on the Philly side. Princeton is truly the middle point (edge to NYC). But Trenton I would say is solidly Philly land over New York.

Old 01-04-2023, 08:04 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,809,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I consider it its own thing, but more on the Philly side. Princeton is truly the middle point (edge to NYC). But Trenton I would say is solidly Philly land over New York.
What's fascinating about what you wrote here is that it is 12 miles from the middle of Princeton to the middle of Trenton (not the I-295 beltway). When you frame it in those terms, you are stating that 12 miles tends change the lean of the two metros in a signficant way. I run about 6-7 miles on an average day, and that's not much less than the distance you are bringing up here. It displays to me how much tinier scales there are in the northeast US compared to all other regions.

Old 01-04-2023, 10:04 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,755,467 times
Quote:
What's fascinating about what you wrote here is that it is 12 miles from the middle of Princeton to the middle of Trenton (not the I-295 beltway). When you frame it in those terms, you are stating that 12 miles tends change the lean of the two metros in a signficant way. I run about 6-7 miles on an average day, and that's not much less than the distance you are bringing up here. It displays to me how much tinier scales there are in the northeast US compared to all other regions.

Well, it has to change over somewhere. You will inevitably find the same thing in the southeast...for example, the space between Tampa and Orlando, or how about suburban towns in the middle of the triangle between Columbus, Dayton, and Cincinnati? Perhaps the space between San Antonio and Austin? Perhaps also Los Angeles and San Diego? Chicago and Milwaukee? Pretty much any major cities 2 hours or less apart you will run into a similar situation.

Old 01-05-2023, 09:00 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,026,863 times
Quote:
Yeah you aren't wrong. I see it here in Connecticut.

From Waterbury CT to Southington CT, the allegiance from NY to BOS gradually goes from 75% NY to 75% Boston. And thats like 10 miles. And again from West Haven CT to Guilford CT, about 15 miles.

Same with The Philly/Balt divide too.

Old 01-05-2023, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Well, it has to change over somewhere. You will inevitably find the same thing in the southeast...for example, the space between Tampa and Orlando, or how about suburban towns in the middle of the triangle between Columbus, Dayton, and Cincinnati? Perhaps the space between San Antonio and Austin? Perhaps also Los Angeles and San Diego? Chicago and Milwaukee? Pretty much any major cities 2 hours or less apart you will run into a similar situation.
Los Angeles and San Diego, that is dead zone that is Camp Pendleton. It's the only undeveloped stretch of coast in Southern California. That one's very obvious. The others that you stated are less obvious. I was just in the area between San Antonio and Austin two weeks ago, and to me, I think the fissure line is San Marcos, as Kyle is definitely Austin and New Braunfels is definitely San Antonio. The others, I am not so sure about. The difference between New Jersey, if you pinpointed it 6 miles between Trenton and Princeton, and the two samples I just gave you here is that they are clear middles in the form of a military facility and a rather substantial college town.

Old 01-05-2023, 05:36 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,755,467 times
Quote:
Los Angeles and San Diego, that is dead zone that is Camp Pendleton. It's the only undeveloped stretch of coast in Southern California. That one's very obvious. The others that you stated are less obvious. I was just in the area between San Antonio and Austin two weeks ago, and to me, I think the fissure line is San Marcos, as Kyle is definitely Austin and New Braunfels is definitely San Antonio. The others, I am not so sure about. The difference between New Jersey, if you pinpointed it 6 miles between Trenton and Princeton, and the two samples I just gave you here is that they are clear middles in the form of a military facility and a rather substantial college town.
“Substantial college town.” And what exactly is Princeton? The truth of the matter is that Trenton, Princeton, and the rest of Mercer County are in many ways independent of both NYC and Philly due to the distance from both. When someone says a town in Mercer County leans one way or another, they are all slight. Trenton has strong ties to both. SEPTA to Philly AND NJ Transit to NYC. As the state capital and with Princeton University and plenty of pharma companies around, Mercer County is its own hub. It’s not really distinctly NYC or Philly, and that is reflected in that the county is its own MSA, which is defined by commuting patterns.

When we say “Trenton is more Philly, and Princeton is more NYC”, it’s more like, gun to your head, and you are forced to choose one or the other. But in reality, doesn’t adequately describe the situation at all, if that makes sense.

Old 01-05-2023, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yeah you aren't wrong. I see it here in Connecticut.

From Waterbury CT to Southington CT, the allegiance from NY to BOS gradually goes from 75% NY to 75% Boston. And thats like 10 miles. And again from West Haven CT to Guilford CT, about 15 miles.

Same with The Philly/Balt divide too.
I find that equally fascinating, as I have stopped in Connecticut many times and have spent time there, in all four corners, I am just not a steward on Connecticut. I wonder in those 10 miles between those two towns of Waterbury and Southington what changes? A school district? Looking at that area right now. How does the small villlage of Wolcott lean, just between the two? Also, does East Haven differ from West Haven?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey