Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2023, 08:28 AM

5,153 posts, read 3,760,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by naesc View Post
I love this discussion. I’ve always felt that the NY influence begins on Route 1 heading north past Quaker Bridge Mall. That whole area is close to Princeton and I associate Princeton with NYC much more than I do Philly.

Mercer County is unique in that it gets both NY & Philly channels, I don’t believe any other county in NJ can say that. I do feel the lean is more Philly if you are south of the 295/Route 1 interchange. I feel anything north of that interchange on Route 1 is NY influenced.
Many moons ago a relative of mine owned a hotel in Lakewood. They used to get Philly TV. I remember watching the Giant games when NYC was blacked out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2023, 10:07 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,127,371 times
Mercer is in the NYC CSA for federal, statistical purposes but for planning purposes it falls under the Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission which is centered on Philadelphia. Mercer also has 3 rail connections to South Jersey/Philly - the RiverLine light rail and SEPTA's Trenton and West Trenton lines.

Also, 66% of Mercer County workers commute 30 minutes or less with another 19% in the 31-59 minute range which means most people either work in the county or in a neighboring county. In terms of all workers few people are commuting to NYC or to Philly.

Also, the traditional divide between Philly and NYC influence has been the colonial era East Jersey/West Jersey boundary. The Keith Line - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_line - is still clearly visible running through the middle of the state if you look at a map of municipal boundaries and is seen here cutting Mercer County in half and also forming the boundaries with Somerset, Hunterdon, Monmouth, and Burlington:
https://cms.dvrpc.org/sites/default/...CDs_8.5x11.pdf

Quote:
I love this discussion. I’ve always felt that the NY influence begins on Route 1 heading north past Quaker Bridge Mall. That whole area is close to Princeton and I associate Princeton with NYC much more than I do Philly.

Mercer County is unique in that it gets both NY & Philly channels, I don’t believe any other county in NJ can say that. I do feel the lean is more Philly if you are south of the 295/Route 1 interchange. I feel anything north of that interchange on Route 1 is NY influenced.
Not unique. This is also common in parts of Monmouth, Middlesex, and Ocean Counties. When we lived in Brick we basically got all of the channels twice- 2 was CBSNY, 3 was CBSPHL, 4 was NBCNY, 5 was FOXNY, 6 was ABCPHL, 7 was ABCNY, 9 was WORNJ, 10 was NBCPHL. When we moved to Monmouth County we lost 10 from Philly but we still got the others. My parents eventually moved up to Holmdel and in the late 90s and they still got ABC from Philly and even WHYY which is the PBS station in Philly. Anyway, as a kid we watched all the baseball and basically grew up a Phillies fan because it was quicker and easier to get to South Philly than it was to get to the Bronx.

It's only been in the last 25 years or so that the NY stations threw a fit about the Philly overlap and tried to draw this hard line but digital TV gave people back a lot of access that, through the cable companies, the FCC had taken away. https://transition.fcc.gov/dtv/marke...delphia_PA.pdf - but either way you can see that Mercer County is firmly in the Philly media market.

Central Jersey exists. Leave us alone and let us watch TV from both cities.

Old 03-15-2023, 04:20 PM

846 posts, read 682,980 times
Can you realistically travel to either one of those 5days every week for a job?

If so, then no.

Old 03-15-2023, 09:11 PM

1,839 posts, read 677,172 times
Quote:

In the past, Quakerbridge felt more part of NYC than PHL.

I think because it didn’t have the Philly dept store influence of Strawbridge and Clothier or Wanamakers as an anchor, but had NY department stores. Also the Macy’s has a lot of Indian shoppers like other areas of Central NJ.

Now it’s getting blurred. You have Penn Medicine that took over Princeton Health and you see Penn signage there, and Wawas creeping up in Edison, over Krauszers.

As for TV, people are steaming more, and local newscasts from other markets can be viewed more easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey