Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 11:00 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
What is the point of a list like this? All towns change.

What about when all of the Dutch folks in some towns in Bergen County got ticked when the white ethnic Catholics moved out of the city into their towns and "took over"?

I guess you could really go back to the Native Americans with a discussion like this.
I witnessed that! Italians and Irish and Polish, oh my!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 11:09 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,064,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I witnessed that! Italians and Irish and Polish, oh my!
And they weren't even considered white when they first arrived in the 1800s in the cities.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
And they weren't even considered white when they first arrived in the 1800s in the cities.
No, they weren't. As a matter of fact, I had this funny conversation with my late father once. It had to be in the 90's, and I was saying how around 1980 the word "pasta" suddenly came into the general American lexicon and with that all the prices went up. He laughed and said, "That's right! When I was growing up, white people only ever called it 'spaghetti' or 'macaroni'." I said, "Uh, WHITE PEOPLE, Dad?" because my father was not a prejudiced type of guy and it was funny to hear him say this. He laughed at himself, and said that when he was growing up in the 1920's and 1930's, Italians were not considered white people by those from more northern European origins. As a matter of fact, the part of Paterson where they lived was the "Italian and Negro" section.

Re the Irish--I remember reading that in the first half of the 19th century, they were counted as non-white in the US census.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:23 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
its interesting to think of times (really places since it still happens now in some places) when white people didnt like other white people because of their country of origin. it seems to happen in places with lots of white immigrants. i remember my grandpa (jewish) talked about how growing up in brownsville (brooklyn) he didnt get along with the italians. he was generally not a fan of non-jews or blacks. i enjoyed talking to him about it.

growing up in manalapan/marlboro new jersey, i always just considered myself white. but in brooklyn, they call me russian when they look at me. when some guy referred to me as "the stocky russian" it was weird because i dont really associate myself with any country other than america.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:12 PM

98 posts, read 269,034 times
South Orange
Livingston
Morristown
Parsippany
South Bound Brook (was mostly white trash, now has a Hispanic presence)
Evesham
Alloway
Gibbsboro
Pennsauken
Bellmawr
Spring Lake Heights
Flemington
Linden
Long Branch

Old 03-30-2011, 02:01 PM

This thread is horrible.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:03 PM

Eh, whites are going to be the minority in this country sooner rather than later, so we better get used to all of these "changes."

Old 03-30-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its interesting to think of times (really places since it still happens now in some places) when white people didnt like other white people because of their country of origin. it seems to happen in places with lots of white immigrants. i remember my grandpa (jewish) talked about how growing up in brownsville (brooklyn) he didnt get along with the italians. he was generally not a fan of non-jews or blacks. i enjoyed talking to him about it.

growing up in manalapan/marlboro new jersey, i always just considered myself white. but in brooklyn, they call me russian when they look at me. when some guy referred to me as "the stocky russian" it was weird because i dont really associate myself with any country other than america.
It's human nature, I guess. My paternal grandmother felt my father married beneath him because my mother's family came from a part of Holland where they spoke the "lower-class" Dutch dialect. First of all, they were already three generations in the US on both sides and no one was fluent in Dutch anymore. Secondly, how big is the Netherlands and they had all these dumb prejudices over a dialect?

Old 03-30-2011, 02:13 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Eh, whites are going to be the minority in this country sooner rather than later, so we better get used to all of these "changes."
thats a touchy subject to have an open conversation about but you are right. it will definitely lead to changes over time.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:55 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,082 times
OP, I don't think you really understood the article (assuming you read the NYT one and not someone writing about it without doing it justice) that inspired the whole "second-hand suburb" thing. The idea wasn't just places receiving black flight from the cities, but rather places with that in addition to old & poorly maintained housing stock, declining services, and white flight (and specifically were inner ring, but that was kind of Detroit-specific) -- places the new residents fleeing from the inner city are getting "second-hand" as it were.

The term was not intended as a euphemism for "places black people live in or are moving to," but to express the author's worry that a combination of moving to suburbs that were kind of decaying already + the resulting white flight would wipe out many of the personal benefits the people moving to them were hoping to gain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey