Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 10:49 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,994,733 times

Advertisements

I remember the first time when I went to NJ over 20 years ago that I was shocked when I saw relatively cheap gasoline (and I'm from oil-rich Texas). I volunterred to pump my own gas but the station guy insisted on doing it. What gives? what makes your state so different?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 11:40 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,763,461 times
Cheap gasoline tax, and we get significant imports (it does not half to get trucked 1500 miles like if we lived Kansas)

Old 05-04-2011, 12:06 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,844,597 times
Its a mess , the gas tax is so low that most our Infrastructure is starting to crumble. And the Governor is too afraid to raise , i'm just waiting for a few bridges to collapsed. Meanwhile were the only NE state without a solid Transportation fund....

Old 05-04-2011, 01:21 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,127,429 times
Nexis3Jersey is correct. Our gasoline tax is too low. We should haave raised the tax to make it one of the most expensive gasoline states, but our government seems to fail to realize this.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:26 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,034,939 times
Our gasoline tax is not too low, it's too high. The fact that other states are even more confiscatory than us is irrelevant. Our total tax burden in this state is ridiculously high, and the one small edge we have is slightly lower taxes for fuel than other nearby welfare states like New York.

The gas tax should be cut, not raised. I will not vote for any political candidate that even obliquely suggests a rise in the fuel tax, and I will actively advocate and campaign for political candidates that advocate for lowering the fuel tax, and all other state taxes.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:31 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I remember the first time when I went to NJ over 20 years ago that I was shocked when I saw relatively cheap gasoline (and I'm from oil-rich Texas). I volunterred to pump my own gas but the station guy insisted on doing it. What gives? what makes your state so different?
1) NJ is one of two states (Oregon being the other) where all stations are full-service by law.

2) Texas may be oil-rich, but NJ is refinery-rich. So both states have a large oil industry presence that I'm sure puts some pressure on the state government to keep gasoline taxes relatively low.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:32 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,844,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Our gasoline tax is not too low, it's too high. The fact that other states are even more confiscatory than us is irrelevant. Our total tax burden in this state is ridiculously high, and the one small edge we have is slightly lower taxes for fuel than other nearby welfare states like New York.

The gas tax should be cut, not raised. I will not vote for any political candidate that even obliquely suggests a rise in the fuel tax, and I will actively advocate and campaign for political candidates that advocate for lowering the fuel tax, and all other state taxes.
Its one of the lowest in the US , and we have the worst Infrastructure in the Northeast. NY and CT have better roads and Rails then us , they seem to pour more $$$ into investments then us....our state has become a embrassing Mess....

Old 05-04-2011, 05:38 AM

1,247 posts, read 3,024,295 times
NJ has a lot of oil refineries, so with them so close by it costs less money to get it to our gas stations.

On a related note, every time I drive through Piscataway and South Plainfield, the gas stations in those two towns are always 30 cents higher than anywhere else. Anyone know the reason for this?

Old 05-04-2011, 05:45 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,680,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
NJ has a lot of oil refineries, so with them so close by it costs less money to get it to our gas stations.

On a related note, every time I drive through Piscataway and South Plainfield, the gas stations in those two towns are always 30 cents higher than anywhere else. Anyone know the reason for this?
i don't know, but that's been the case forever. that mobil? station at the intersection of old new brunswick rd and south randolphville rd has been 10-30% more expensive since i started working around there, in 1989!

Old 05-04-2011, 06:37 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,397,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Nexis3Jersey is correct. Our gasoline tax is too low. We should haave raised the tax to make it one of the most expensive gasoline states, but our government seems to fail to realize this.
i agree. it encourages more congestion in our state.

and as someone else said...NJ has refineries, which is better than having oil...

also...the reasons supposedly that you can't pump your own go back to "safety" decades ago. i assume they remain now as a sort of "job creation" policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey