Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2013, 11:22 AM

2 posts, read 4,547 times

Advertisements

Guys, would appreciate your advice/input.

We are looking to buy a house and would like to know your thoughts about which model is better: 4 bed Mercer or a 3 bed Atlantic. The price differential is 65k approx.

Considering there will be town homes in the community as well (phase 2) with 3 beds, is it worth going after 3 bed Atlantic at base price of 462 + upgrades. For 3 bed house, the price looks too steep. The town homes are prices between 330k - 400k.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 05:31 AM

40 posts, read 67,552 times
Thanks god our Summerfields is located in quiet area.

Here is a news item about 3 shootings during last weekend in Franklin Township:

"Three shootings over weekend in Franklin, $5,000 reward offered for info"
Three shootings over weekend in Franklin, $5,000 reward offered for info | NJ.com

The shootings happened on Millstone Road and Mark Street, in an area surrounded by Hamilton Street, Franklin Boulevard and Route 27.

The area is in other part of Franklin Township, about 7 miles south of Summerfields.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:11 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n shah View Post
Guys, would appreciate your advice/input.

We are looking to buy a house and would like to know your thoughts about which model is better: 4 bed Mercer or a 3 bed Atlantic. The price differential is 65k approx.

Considering there will be town homes in the community as well (phase 2) with 3 beds, is it worth going after 3 bed Atlantic at base price of 462 + upgrades. For 3 bed house, the price looks too steep. The town homes are prices between 330k - 400k.

thanks
It's not a matter of which is better. The quality of construction will be the same in either model. Is a four bedroom worth 65K more to you?
Most likely the four bedroom will return more at resale time.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:51 PM

283 posts, read 667,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
It's not a matter of which is better. The quality of construction will be the same in either model. Is a four bedroom worth 65K more to you?
Most likely the four bedroom will return more at resale time.
N. Shah:

I agree with PDD that single family home will appreciate in value in future compared to a townhome. In Summerfields, the price of different models of single family homes have jumped by about $40-60,000 in just one year.

For comparison, the Atlantic single family home costs $462k, has 2,300 square ft. area with 3 bedroom and 2.5 bath. The townhomes (under construction) will cost $375k for inside unit and $395k for end unit. It will have 1,900 sq. ft. with 3 bedroom and 2.5 bath.

The main advantage of living in a single family home is feel-good factor, with plenty of sunlight and wind coming from all the 4 open sides. In contrast, the inside townhome unit will have windows on two sides and other two sides will have neighbor's walls. The end units will have windows on 3 sides. The townhomes at Summerfields are arranged with 4 in a row. The children will love to play around the single family home.

Builders try to market townhomes as maintenance-free residence, but home lawn can be maintained by just paying $300/yr to lawn mower, much less than the annual fees paid to townhome owner association.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:45 AM

2 posts, read 4,547 times
Thanks Yogesh & PDD.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:56 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,013,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogesh Upadhyaya View Post
N. Shah:

I agree with PDD that single family home will appreciate in value in future compared to a townhome. In Summerfields, the price of different models of single family homes have jumped by about $40-60,000 in just one year.

For comparison, the Atlantic single family home costs $462k, has 2,300 square ft. area with 3 bedroom and 2.5 bath. The townhomes (under construction) will cost $375k for inside unit and $395k for end unit. It will have 1,900 sq. ft. with 3 bedroom and 2.5 bath.

The main advantage of living in a single family home is feel-good factor, with plenty of sunlight and wind coming from all the 4 open sides. In contrast, the inside townhome unit will have windows on two sides and other two sides will have neighbor's walls. The end units will have windows on 3 sides. The townhomes at Summerfields are arranged with 4 in a row. The children will love to play around the single family home.

Builders try to market townhomes as maintenance-free residence, but home lawn can be maintained by just paying $300/yr to lawn mower, much less than the annual fees paid to townhome owner association.
These homes have appreciated SO MUCH in just a few short years. For example, when I looked at the Atlantic (3 bed, no living room i believe) I could have booked one for 375k. This was Feb ish of 2011. Those townhomes they are building, are almost EXACT replicas of the Cedar Manor townhomes which are just down the road. In the late summer of 2010, me and my wife could have booked one of those for 330k!!! You are telling me the Atlantic has appreciated almost 100k in a bit over two years?? The townhomes 50k in less than 3 years!

Goes to show you that these builders know that new construction will make a killing no matter the "schools". The south/eastern asians just want to buy NEW.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:00 AM

283 posts, read 667,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
These homes have appreciated SO MUCH in just a few short years. For example, when I looked at the Atlantic (3 bed, no living room i believe) I could have booked one for 375k. This was Feb ish of 2011. Those townhomes they are building, are almost EXACT replicas of the Cedar Manor townhomes which are just down the road. In the late summer of 2010, me and my wife could have booked one of those for 330k!!! You are telling me the Atlantic has appreciated almost 100k in a bit over two years?? The townhomes 50k in less than 3 years!

Goes to show you that these builders know that new construction will make a killing no matter the "schools". The south/eastern asians just want to buy NEW.
TonyStarksNJ:

There are number of factors responsible for sharp rise in the value of Summerfields home, not just that South/Eastern Asians prefer new homes (although it is true). One of the reasons was the low starting price of the homes and gradual rise of real-estate sector in past 2 years.

The builder started applying to township for permit for construction of homes in 2005. It took long time to get approval. The booking was then started in Feb/March 2011 and there were no model homes ready for viewing. Since the initial buyers took some risk in booking home without viewing model homes, they got discount of $30-50k, which was removed later that year.

Other factors are: agricultural surroundings and fresh air (you do not have to live in South Jersey to get it); major highways only minutes away (in some parts of Hillsborough, it takes 30-40 minutes to reach I-287), etc.

About school system, there are half-a-dozen prep schools available in Somerset area if someone does not want to attend public schools. I am sure with many new residents moving in, the school system will gradually become excellent. Moreover, children who wants to study, they will study in any environment, major factor being home atmosphere (discipline, family members discussion at dinner table, role models available, ignoring distraction from peers, etc.).

Moreover, the school ratings keep changing. 20 years ago, J P Stevens High School at Edison was ranked best, then Bridgewater Raritan High School and now Hillsborough High School). The ranking is used by the sales agents to jack up home selling price.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:22 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,013,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogesh Upadhyaya View Post
TonyStarksNJ:

There are number of factors responsible for sharp rise in the value of Summerfields home, not just that South/Eastern Asians prefer new homes (although it is true). One of the reasons was the low starting price of the homes and gradual rise of real-estate sector in past 2 years.

The builder started applying to township for permit for construction of homes in 2005. It took long time to get approval. The booking was then started in Feb/March 2011 and there were no model homes ready for viewing. Since the initial buyers took some risk in booking home without viewing model homes, they got discount of $30-50k, which was removed later that year.

Other factors are: agricultural surroundings and fresh air (you do not have to live in South Jersey to get it); major highways only minutes away (in some parts of Hillsborough, it takes 30-40 minutes to reach I-287), etc.

About school system, there are half-a-dozen prep schools available in Somerset area if someone does not want to attend public schools. I am sure with many new residents moving in, the school system will gradually become excellent. Moreover, children who wants to study, they will study in any environment, major factor being home atmosphere (discipline, family members discussion at dinner table, role models available, ignoring distraction from peers, etc.).

Moreover, the school ratings keep changing. 20 years ago, J P Stevens High School at Edison was ranked best, then Bridgewater Raritan High School and now Hillsborough High School). The ranking is used by the sales agents to jack up home selling price.
understand what you are saying, but as far as real estate values increasing, this is most definitely not a regional issue. The real estate values as a whole in Somerset/Franklin have absolutely NOT increased in step with this development. Hell I'd be hard pressed to think that any development NJ wide has increased this much even in the A+ townships.

Again, thats great in this market.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:37 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,487,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mount everest View Post
Thanks god our Summerfields is located in quiet area.

Here is a news item about 3 shootings during last weekend in Franklin Township:

"Three shootings over weekend in Franklin, $5,000 reward offered for info"
Three shootings over weekend in Franklin, $5,000 reward offered for info | NJ.com

The shootings happened on Millstone Road and Mark Street, in an area surrounded by Hamilton Street, Franklin Boulevard and Route 27.

The area is in other part of Franklin Township, about 7 miles south of Summerfields.
This is so NOT nothing new for that side of the town. Better get used to it. Word has it the "victims" involved were underaged (which is why no names were reported in the article).

Some kids had a great time at a FHS dance a few years back. But then they sent cops to the hospital.

Franklin High School student pleads guilty in homecoming dance melee | NJ.com
Melee at Franklin High School dance leads to indictments against five people | NJ.com

Shortly after that a part of Amwell road was closed down for a "march" by folks who claimed "racism" from that side of town....in defense of the thugs and parents who got arrested during the melee. Ridiculous.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:50 AM

62 posts, read 147,061 times
Any suggestions for whole house water softener system?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey