Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 05:11 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,425,852 times

Advertisements

I have to second (or third) HALO in Trenton and Hamilton. I don't have the link anymore, but they use only organic milk, no antibiotic whatever chemicals, and their ice cream is superb and about 1/3 the price of everyone else's.
Love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 06:02 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,702,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Memory View Post
I SECOND recommend Hoffman's Ice Cream (http://www.hoffmansicecream.net/site/ - broken link)! Do not let this simple incomplete website fool you. I went to the Spring Lake location, expecting nothing more or less from this place.

On my first time there, it wasn't too bad of a wait. I ordered a chocolate related ice cream. My mother ordered the award winning vanilla ice cream. I took a sample taste of this particular vanilla and I was blown away. I was impressed so much that I regreted ordering my ice cream flavor. There is no joke to this "award winning" vanilla. O__o This vanilla literally tasted like vanilla, and not the usual creamy vanilla.

My second time to the same location Hoffman's, the place seemed busier than I remembered. The available number to take from the machine was in the 100s, and the workers were still calling out numbers below 60 or so. Several minutes later, I couldn't wait any longer and left leaving the number strip on the table with the rest of the other numbers from the other patrons, who couldn't wait either.

If you're in Spring Lake for a shore trip, I would advise going to this place either really early or around a meal time. Not after dinner though. =.= Either that or go to the other two locations, which should hopefully be less crazy. The ice cream is very much worth a wait.

(Funny thing, I might be going back to Spring Lake tomorrow. Round 3 for ice cream attempt!)

The second homemade NJ only ice cream chain place I can sort of recommend, off the tip of my head, is Applegate Farm. If you're ever in the northern part of the state, the Montclair location is worth a stop because it's the original, which has nothing but a silo as a remnant. According to their website, though, it seems to be closed now (since they opened the Hoboken location)? Noooo... D:

And the third ice cream store that I can recommend, that's not a chain, is Skipper Dipper in LBI (Long Beach Island). That's if you're ever in that area. They have some homemade ice cream there. The reviews do not lie when they say they have long lines. You definitely need to be patient during the ice cream store's busiest time. The price is not that cheap, but it can be worth a wait when you're under hot weather.
Yeah, I definitely DON'T have the patience for that line!

Old 06-07-2011, 09:42 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,983,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
I second the recommendation of Cliffs in Ledgewood. They are simply the best, been going there forever even though I live over 30 minutes away. (Taylors in Chester is closer, but I am not a fan at all) I also like Dover Dairy Maid on rte 46 across from the old HS, and the Denville Dairy on Broadway in Denville, both long time local favorites still making their own ice cream.

Koala

All spot on - you know your ice cream!

Old 06-07-2011, 09:47 AM

96 posts, read 350,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
I don't know...but I read the title as "cemeteries that make their own ice cream" and I thought it was quite unusual....
Holy Cross in North Arlington makes a mean mint chocolate chip.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:59 AM

19,137 posts, read 25,345,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kekee726 View Post
Thomas Sweets - 3 locations, Princeton, New Brunswick & Montgomery
A couple of years ago, I had the misfortune to buy a container of Butter Pecan ice cream from the Thomas Sweet (NOT "Sweets") located in New Brunswick.

The pecans were rancid and nasty.

That was the last time that I gave my hard-earned money to folks who use smelly, obviously spoiled ingredients in their ice cream!

Old 06-07-2011, 10:27 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Ryan's in Tinton Falls on Shrewsbury Avenue. SO good.

Ryan's Homemade Ice Cream - Tinton Falls, NJ 07701 | Metromix Jersey Shore

Old 06-07-2011, 10:56 AM

16 posts, read 36,024 times
Wow, thanks for all these great suggestions, though my waistline probably won't join n the gratitude! I'll have to check a few of these out. I actually can just slightly alter my daily commute to swing through Ledgewood so it looks like Cliff's will be up first.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:07 PM

531 posts, read 2,899,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I have to second (or third) HALO in Trenton and Hamilton. I don't have the link anymore, but they use only organic milk, no antibiotic whatever chemicals, and their ice cream is superb and about 1/3 the price of everyone else's.
Love it.
Actually, I don't think Halo uses organic milk, but their ice cream is probably the best I've ever had. Get it directly from the store in Trenton as opposed to stopping at one of their retail locations. The ice cream we get from the store in Trenton just seems so much better than their other stand alone locations. And the prices are insanely cheap.

Someone else mentioned Bent Spoon in Princeton, here's another vote for them. AMAZING ice cream.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:26 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,702,762 times
The best IC I've ever had is in Paris (Berthillon), but I think that's a little too far

Report back after you go to Cliff's - embarrassed to say I've lived in Morris Cnty for nearly 20 years, and have never been!

Old 06-07-2011, 12:31 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,940,305 times
Herbie's Drive-In - Great Meadows (Warren Co.)

Herbie's Drive-In

Grochowicz Farm - Hampton (Hunterdon Co.)

Grochowicz Farms :: Country Market (http://grochowiczfarms.com/cn/index.php/country_market/ - broken link)

Mackey's Orchard - Belvidere (Warren Co.)

Mackey's Orchard

Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey