Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 04:53 PM

10 posts, read 138,079 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I've heard terrible things about the Oranges.
Are they true? Is East Orange an unhabitable area in terms of safety?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2006, 11:11 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,624,724 times
What type of gun / guns do you own. I would suggest nothing short of a 9mm.

Old 09-01-2006, 06:00 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,391,548 times
A quick synopsis...

West Orange is pretty nice. South Orange is nice. Orange is bad. East Orange is really bad.

Old 09-03-2006, 03:16 PM

4 posts, read 44,748 times
Default East Orange

There is only one word for East Orange, BAD! Stay away from it. Nothing good about it. High crime, bad hospital, very unsafe day or night.

Old 09-26-2006, 03:13 PM

12 posts, read 115,253 times
Default West and South Orange are nice

I moved to South orange a while back, and it is very nice but pretty pricey. West Orange is as nice, but hilly and also pricey. East Orange is pretty bad, it is a ghetto for the most part, and Orange is a bit better but not nice.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:31 PM

59 posts, read 241,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynRose View Post
If someone said you had a choice between living in a tent on Mars or a Colonial in East Orange, (mortgage free) pick Mars.

During the housing boom, East Orange was considered another "up and coming" community, because of it's cheap taxes and low housing prices for large colonials. But the boom is over, nobody is overbidding for anything and people aren't taking chances on marginal communities. East Orange has had a crime problem for a very long time.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:39 AM

10 posts, read 68,732 times
I'm thinking about moving to Baltimore. I think I'm changing my mind. They scared the hell out of me. I don't even think Newark is as bad as Baltimore. If you're around bad, affiliated with the bad or get caught up in the nonsence, watch out. There is a lot of violence between rival gangs. Always be aware of your surroundings...but that's anywhere. I was robbed in Montclair and in Bloomfield for my jewelry and my car and these people are known for being boogie. In East Orange, I don't walk around fearful. There are pros and cons in every area and if you want to stay away all together - don't come to Essex County.

If you are moving to East Orange, I'd like to know your reasons. Family? a job? and what part of east orange? ...and oddly enough if you're black? If you're white in east orange, you'll stick out like a sore thumb...and will probably get stabbed. (just kidding).

Old 03-14-2007, 12:28 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,586 times
Gang issues would not be your only concern in East Orange. Muggings and auto theft are definitely a reality. Much of that is not gang related. Lots of good working class people live there-mostly black people and unfortunately they are the usual victims. The person who keeps posting that these people are just not streetwise enough has not walked in their shoes.

Not everyone in E Orange has been a victim of course-but most everyone knows someone who has. It is modern day reality there. Being victimized does not mean you will end up dead but it still sucks. There are parts of Essex county that are really safe. The really expensive towns have good high schools-but the cost. Most people look for a happy median if they can afford it.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:43 PM

359 posts, read 2,592,793 times
East Orange is not as bad as it was in the 80's at all. The huge crime increase that East Orange saw in the 60's was from the Newark Riots, then East Orange was almost back on its feet until the 80's when crack hit the city. Because the presence of crack isnt as prevalent in EO now there is less crime. The same cannot be said for Newark where 90% of the murders are drug related NOT gang related. If you are going to move there just watch your ass like you would do in any urban setting.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:07 PM

4 posts, read 40,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynRose View Post
First of all unless any of the above people live in East Orange Right now, dont listen to them. I've lived here for 19 years and like any other city it has its good nieghborhoods and its bad ones. the areas that border Bloomfield, North Newark, Glen ridge and Orange are fairly good areas, very low crime and attractive neighborhoods. I live in this area and i can say its not perfect but its not a giant crime infested ghetto like they said above. the areas that border the other parts of Newark and Irvington are a little bad and has higher crime, but again it isnt half as bad as they say. I will however say that East Orange Campus High school is a bad school. great oppertunities and brand new campus, but bad kids. the hospital i dont go to, i prefer Columbus hospital just over the border of East Orange in Newark. I will say that West and south orange are better places to live with better school systems and hospitals. More attractive and bigger homes as well.
Orange is the same as east orange accept more like a small town and thier is no hospital anymore, i dont know much about the school system. but stick to Northern East Orange, orange and west and south orange and you will be fine. btw the population of orange and East orange is mostly balck, west orange is a fair mix and south orange has a higher white population
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey