Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 11:09 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,410,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
It is ridiculous. It makes about as much sense as when the NAACP theatened action in Charlotte & Atlanta last winter when the school systems had to hold classes on Martin Luther King Day after schools were closed for 5 days due to bad ice after a storm. This woman pretty well said it all.

Atlanta Weather Update for Jan. 11, 2011 - YouTube
i can't watch the video, but yeah...the MLK school day thing was insane. i actually never got MLK day off when i was in school, so i was surprised it was even available as a makeup day. haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 11:21 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i can't watch the video, but yeah...the MLK school day thing was insane. i actually never got MLK day off when i was in school, so i was surprised it was even available as a makeup day. haha
I wouldn't want to guess how many school districts were involved. It was absolutely assinine. School districts tried to preserve spring break/Easter vacation, but if there had been one more day, they would have gone after that, too.

The woman took on the NAACP about that one. As she said, "Pick your battles, people."

By state laws, schools had to make up the days with no snowdays built into the school year. NC has rectified that. However, the state legislature had to do that, not individual school districts. Kids were attending school on Memorial Day, for god's sake.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:02 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,091,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Careful, careful....talk like that will get you called a Bill Cosby.

IMO the problem with the NAACP is that they are out of touch with the majority of blacks. They've also morphed into a wing of the democratic party and as such are less issues oriented than they used to be and fight fights for partisan politics rather than from a position of moral right.
And their disconnect sometimes touches a wide-range of issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the nation is still angry View Post
even though i didn't want to do this.. here's an article about nj state police flunking possible black, hispanic and nonwhite recruits to keep them from being a part of the state police. this was written 5 years ago. i'm pretty sure it's not going to change how you feel about it. i know how city-data.com is.

NJ State Police Flunking the Minorities They Recruit - PPSC Forums
That's a pretty interesting read. Still, I think the NAACP should call for investigation or some kind of probe before they start suing.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:32 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,594,813 times
Anything the NAACP says should be somewhat ignored because they are a racist organization, similar to how nobody would listen much if the KKK arose from the dead and made comments.

Financial background checks should not be used to discriminate against anyone. That should be ruled illegal across the board. Keeping that in place discriminates against all people and keeps people down.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:47 PM

11,349 posts, read 16,714,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Anything the NAACP says should be somewhat ignored because they are a racist organization, similar to how nobody would listen much if the KKK arose from the dead and made comments.

Financial background checks should not be used to discriminate against anyone. That should be ruled illegal across the board. Keeping that in place discriminates against all people and keeps people down.
Don't think is was financial but criminal background checks.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:19 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,410,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post

every company i've ever interviewed at does a credit check. this isn't out of the ordinary

Old 08-17-2011, 07:23 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,631,008 times
I'm tired of hearing this BS. I scored 98 on the firemans test in the 70's and was supposed to start the FD. Guess what i was knocked down because the naacp fought the test. I was discriminated against along with about 50 other people. Fast forward. The PD has been trying to recruit minorities for as long as I have been on. They were actually setting up stands on the corners in the minority areas, going to the high schools, parks, malls u name it we tried it. The lack of interest is phenominal. Many of the ones that did come on the job were sub standard. The 250 pound BF that couldn't do any pushups, a few were in gangs, they walk around high fiving their boys in the hood. I've corrected reports numerous times because they were submitted in ebonics. Wake up people dumbing down the police test does not help the communities. Most police depts. have bent over backwards in an attempt to hire minorities. So much that reverse discrimination is happening. We had upwards of 10 POs assigned to try to recruit minorities in the hood and not a one in the white areas.. That was their sole job. I can't help people if they don't want to go to school or pay a bill or be law abiding citizens. We went to public school in the hood and passed, why can't they?. I'm done venting.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:43 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,594,813 times
Quote:
every company i've ever interviewed at does a credit check. this isn't out of the ordinary
I'm saying it shouldn't be allowed for either the State or private companies. If a person is looking to advance themselves, well that only goes to keep them down.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:02 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
So much that reverse discrimination is happening.
its actually just plain discrimination.

its kind of funny to me that government has an obligation to target recruitment to specific races. thats insane. they should only be obligated to not discriminate against people who apply for the job.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:24 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,772,397 times
Quote:
the only thing i could think of in this respect is that years ago, given NJ's history of racial profiling, there could now be plenty of african american candidates who were wrongly arrested, and now have a criminal record. but how do we know which arrests were valid and which were not? we're still living with the effects of racism, and hopefully we get past it. but i don't want my state police having a criminal background. now, is getting arrested at 17 with marijuana really the standard we need to hold? maybe, maybe not.

I dont think it is, but the fact is that the police administer lie detector tests where they ask every candidate about illegal drug use. if you have smoked weed more then 3 times in your life, you are disqualified.

I could really care less if anyone smokes marijuana, cop or not, but if it that is the standard, someone arrested for it should not be allowed to be a cop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey