Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 07:24 AM

5,772 posts, read 16,584,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I dont think it is, but the fact is that the police administer lie detector tests where they ask every candidate about illegal drug use. if you have smoked weed more then 3 times in your life, you are disqualified.

I could really care less if anyone smokes marijuana, cop or not, but if it that is the standard, someone arrested for it should not be allowed to be a cop.
That seems very hypocritical. Maybe they should make it a requirement to smoke at least 3 times instead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 07:26 AM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
........ The 250 pound BF that couldn't do any pushups, a few were in gangs, they walk around high fiving their boys in the hood. I've corrected reports numerous times because they were submitted in ebonics.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:29 AM

78,380 posts, read 60,566,039 times
For our daily dose of irony.....from the NAACP's own mission statement.

Quote:
The NAACP's principal objective is to ensure the political, educational, social and economic equality of minority group citizens of United States and eliminate race prejudice. The NAACP seeks to remove all barriers of racial discrimination through the democratic processes.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:53 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
I'm saying it shouldn't be allowed for either the State or private companies. If a person is looking to advance themselves, well that only goes to keep them down.
i believe the article said that this isn't a hard requirement, but it's a judgment call. bad credit can indicate a lot of things. If you're going to be working at a financial services firm, it could mean a lot of bad things for the potential employer. i see nothing wrong with it being included, and being part of the discussion. of course, i'm assuming that the person making the decision is reasonable....huge assumption.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I dont think it is, but the fact is that the police administer lie detector tests where they ask every candidate about illegal drug use. if you have smoked weed more then 3 times in your life, you are disqualified.

I could really care less if anyone smokes marijuana, cop or not, but if it that is the standard, someone arrested for it should not be allowed to be a cop.
oh i agree...i don't care. i don't think it should be illegal. but, it is. and if one cannot follow the law, or has some sort of history of not following the law, how can one uphold the law? if the local pothead becomes a state police officer, everyone in the community that knew the local pothead would lose some degree of respect for that law enforcement body....that's what i assume the theory is at least. it's a pretty logical approach. doesn't make it 100% right, but they have to have standards.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:23 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I do kind of find this entertaining as the current superintendent of the State Police is Colonel Rick Fuentes, who just happens to be Hispanic. The man who held the job before him was Carson Dunbar, an African American.
Dunbar.........who resigned in frustration after less than 2 years because of the resistance he got on every level.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I'm tired of hearing this BS. I scored 98 on the firemans test in the 70's and was supposed to start the FD. Guess what i was knocked down because the naacp fought the test. I was discriminated against along with about 50 other people. Fast forward. The PD has been trying to recruit minorities for as long as I have been on. They were actually setting up stands on the corners in the minority areas, going to the high schools, parks, malls u name it we tried it. The lack of interest is phenominal. Many of the ones that did come on the job were sub standard. The 250 pound BF that couldn't do any pushups, a few were in gangs, they walk around high fiving their boys in the hood. I've corrected reports numerous times because they were submitted in ebonics. Wake up people dumbing down the police test does not help the communities. Most police depts. have bent over backwards in an attempt to hire minorities. So much that reverse discrimination is happening. We had upwards of 10 POs assigned to try to recruit minorities in the hood and not a one in the white areas.. That was their sole job. I can't help people if they don't want to go to school or pay a bill or be law abiding citizens. We went to public school in the hood and passed, why can't they?. I'm done venting.
I've read hundreds of police reports, the majority of which were filed by white male police officers. I can tell you that many of them looked as if they were written by someone who was functionally illiterate.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I've read hundreds of police reports, the majority of which were filed by white male police officers. I can tell you that many of them looked as if they were written by someone who was functionally illiterate.
police report from a car accident i was in, written by a white male officer, had a diagram of the cars in directions that were nearly impossible in a world where physics and science exist on the road the accident happened on. i can't even fathom how he messed it up so bad. i hope it was the end of a 12 hour shift for him or something, because it was horrible. oh yeah, and it was impossible to read almost every word he scribbled too.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:50 PM

78,380 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Dunbar.........who resigned in frustration after less than 2 years because of the resistance he got on every level.
Fortunately for the officers reporting to him that they had the strong legacy of union negotiation so he couldn't actually push harder.

You still don't address the fact that the NAACP is suing over the fact that the current class is 72% white instead of 68% white and why so many black candidates are passing the written exam but failing the background check.

I look forward to hearing from the NAACP which candidates should NOT have been excluded based upon their background checks. (And maybe the easterbunny will come visit me too. )

The NAACP is pushing racial quotas, which is against their own mission statement. *maybe* they should have listened to Bill Cosby instead of kicking him in the face?

Old 08-19-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Fortunately for the officers reporting to him that they had the strong legacy of union negotiation so he couldn't actually push harder.
What was wrong with what he was doing? I guess you think there's nothing wrong with racial profiling of citizens or racist and sexist harassment in the ranks.

Quote:
You still don't address the fact that the NAACP is suing over the fact that the current class is 72% white instead of 68% white and why so many black candidates are passing the written exam but failing the background check.
I don't address it because I really don't give a damn. I know there is a chance that there are shenanigans going on in the recruitment and background check process, but if a candidate is really good, he/she'll make it through.

Quote:

I look forward to hearing from the NAACP which candidates should NOT have been excluded based upon their background checks. (And maybe the easterbunny will come visit me too. )

The NAACP is pushing racial quotas, which is against their own mission statement. *maybe* they should have listened to Bill Cosby instead of kicking him in the face?
I have no problem with quotas on their face; we just have to make sure we recruit qualified people to fill them. I think the problem is that most non-minorities assume all white candidates are qualfied and all nonwhites are unqualified, and that is nothing but BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey