Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 02:08 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
sounds like a friend of mine who works at bank of america.
yup, and all over corporate america.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 02:35 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
Ok, How about doing an audit on the PA and cut the fat. You have employees there making more in OT than their salary. One employee was discovered working 80 hours a week in order to obtain his OT for the year of 6figures. Sorry, but there's no freakin way someone can work 80 hours a week for 52 weeks.

The WTC project is already over 2 billion...that's 2 billion over budget for more or less a hole in the ground.

Like I said, if Christie signs this, he's done with me and a lot of other people that I know.
That's now what I meant. You have no idea what the other choices for candidates are. I'm sure if we put our thinking caps on we can all imagine a politician worse than Christie.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:50 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,176,092 times
Going into the island is not much of a problem. Sure it cost a few dollar, but getting out is the problem. 1+ hours with new enhancement. I was lucky enough to tried it yesterday. I used to be able to get into the tunnel from the Brooklyn or Manhattan bridge in about 15 or 20 minutes. Thanks to the new patterns and many of these newly hired people to direct the traffic, my 20 minutes became 100+ minutes.

Thanks again for the great job. I will try my very best not to step foot in the island.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:07 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,366,504 times
I agree that the toll and fare hikes seem outrageous. I also see this as an additional tax, placed squarely on the commuter, but even more frightening, also hitting all trucking rates, which is going to raise the prices of almost everything we consume here in the Garden State and in New York City.

But the infrastructure needs to be maintained, and without increases in New Jersey's low gasoline tax (which would spread the sacrifice around a bit more), what better way to do it?

The Port gave a pretty solid list of the items these fares and tolls will be funding, but I find that it mysteriously missed ones that we have read about in recent articles ... things that were never before, and probably should not be ... in the PA's domain.

This article states that Christie said "no" to the PA taking over the Tappan Zee Bridge (but he said "no" to the toll hikes, too, right?):
Christie says no to adding Tappan Zee Bridge to Port Authority, helping with renovation costs - NorthJersey.com

New York City also wants PA money to fund the MTA:
One Assumption Too Many? | Mobilizing the Region

So, evidently, New York is making new demands on the PA that were never before budgeted. Why would Christie agree? Well, the Pulaski Skyway is not an interstate crossing, and therefore should not be a PA responsibility. But the skyway is crumbling. So here's where the PA purse comes in, with more unbudgeted work:
Port Authority agrees to participate in overhaul of Pulaski Skyway, other road projects | NJ.com

And as if Stewart Airport in NY wasn't far enough from the Port District, Christie also wants the PA to take over his airport in Atlantic City.
NJ officials would like Port Authority to take over Atlantic City Airport

It seems to me as if the following article hit the nail on the head a few days ago:
Expect PA toll and fare increases because governors see bi-state agency as a piggy bank, says Tri-State Transportation Campaign official | NJ.com

The Port is being used as a piggybank by both states, and the commuters are the ones who are being asked to fill it.

But I also have to ask ... why is it okay for the MTA to charge $13 round trip on the Verrazano, the Throgs Neck, the Whitestone, and the East River crossings, but that's considered too expensive for a Hudson crossing?

Why is it okay for the MTA to charge $104 today for a monthly unlimited MetroCard, but it's outlandish for PATH to consider charging $89?

While I lament having to pay more for these crossings, I do not expect them to be had for free, and I DO hope the infrastructure and security is properly maintained on each of them. Without other ways of increasing revenue, how do you expect this work will be funded?

Old 08-19-2011, 06:24 PM

11,346 posts, read 16,708,690 times
Well it's official.

Might as well bend over for the scewing, because here it comes.

Port Authority approves toll and fare hikes | The Asbury Park Press | APP.com

Old 08-19-2011, 06:54 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,077,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
But I also have to ask ... why is it okay for the MTA to charge $13 round trip on the Verrazano, the Throgs Neck, the Whitestone, and the East River crossings, but that's considered too expensive for a Hudson crossing?

Why is it okay for the MTA to charge $104 today for a monthly unlimited MetroCard, but it's outlandish for PATH to consider charging $89?

While I lament having to pay more for these crossings, I do not expect them to be had for free, and I DO hope the infrastructure and security is properly maintained on each of them. Without other ways of increasing revenue, how do you expect this work will be funded?
You can travel from the northern Bronx to Rockaway Beach on a MetroCard. PATH is limited in stops and geographic locations. It's expensive enough

Old 08-19-2011, 07:48 PM

392 posts, read 842,456 times
Christie didn't lose my vote (yet) but he lost my respect as a fiscal conservative.

The PA is another out of control free spending agency. Sticking to the commuters was the easy answer.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:59 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,366,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
You can travel from the northern Bronx to Rockaway Beach on a MetroCard. PATH is limited in stops and geographic locations. It's expensive enough
While this sounds like a valid argument on the surface, it does not take into account that the MTA is funded mostly (58%) by local and state tax dollars. MetroCard fares only constitute about 35% of operating costs.

http://www.mta.info/mta/budget/feb2010/0210_1.pdf

PATH, on the other hand, reports a fare ratio of about 37%, but is only subsidized by the Port Authority, which gets the majority of its funding from the three major airports and by its tolls.

http://www.panynj.gov/corporate-info...udget-2011.pdf

While I agree it IS expensive, I don't feel I know enough about the logistics to place a judgement on whether an $89 unlimited monthly is "expensive enough".

Old 08-20-2011, 08:30 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,077,463 times
Great graphic in the Daily News today. P.A. spends $6.2BN a year. The biggest cost at 23%? Paying for that boondoggle at Ground Zero. Salaries are 15% and bridge and tunnel maintenance is only 2-3%. In the same article Mayor Bloomberg says the toll hikes are needed or the bridges & tunnels will "collapse." Ridiculous considering their R.E. venture downtown costs a boatload of tolls to pay for.

So when Ground Zero is completed, we can expect a 25% reduction in tolls & fares, right governors??

I wish our outspoken governor would address this, but since his campaign head now leads the P.A. I doubt he's too worried.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:39 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,104,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
All politicians suck. Its just that some periodically suck less than others.
This caught my attention as they the pinheads or the authority would like to raise tolls here too in the Chicago area, yeah what ever like we can afford more
in this crappy economy.

your govie christy was attempting to pluck jobs out of our state
nothing against nj but man what happend to the UNITED states

That left a bad taste in my mouth for that guy
reminds me too much of the ex notre dame coach fat man weis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey