Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 12:53 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
giving it up will also give up the 100's in millions in revenue that could actually help offset things like tolls and PATH fares.
i dont like to count on things like that especially since the government has no business leasing office space. just sell the site asap and charge users the cost of riding the train/bridge/tunnel/etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 01:30 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,366,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i dont like to count on things like that especially since the government has no business leasing office space. just sell the site asap and charge users the cost of riding the train/bridge/tunnel/etc.
You REALLY don't want to know how much it costs to provide a PATH (or MTA) ride. Subsidization is the only thing that makes these services solvent and still affordable.

People are already up in arms over a quarter per year increase. Do you think they'd be able to fork over more than $5.00 for a one way fare? Today?

Old 08-23-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
You REALLY don't want to know how much it costs to provide a PATH (or MTA) ride. Subsidization is the only thing that makes these services solvent and still affordable.

People are already up in arms over a quarter per year increase. Do you think they'd be able to fork over more than $5.00 for a one way fare? Today?
if people dont want to pay the price of it then maybe it isnt worth having. maybe the jobs dont have to be concentrated in the city. its funny how something becomes subsidized and then its like there is no other way to do it. well, if this wasnt subsidized things would have happened differently and life would have gone on. but now we are apparently stuck subsidizing something that users arent willing to pay the actual cost of.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:44 PM
pvs

Quote:
if people dont want to pay the price of it then maybe it isnt worth having. maybe the jobs dont have to be concentrated in the city. its funny how something becomes subsidized and then its like there is no other way to do it. well, if this wasnt subsidized things would have happened differently and life would have gone on. but now we are apparently stuck subsidizing something that users arent willing to pay the actual cost of.
I can see your point of view, but I don't necessarily agree with it. I guess it's an easy viewpoint to have if you don't need a particular service personally. It seems many these days only care about themselves. I personally find that very sad.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
I can see your point of view, but I don't necessarily agree with it. I guess it's an easy viewpoint to have if you don't need a particular service personally. It seems many these days only care about themselves. I personally find that very sad.
it has nothing to do with caring about other people. it has to do with letting things develop properly so that the users of a product or service can cover the cost and if thats not possible, then dont build it. things will work out better that way for everyone.

its a funny concept. oh care about others and help pay for their travel/commute. well, if i didnt help pay for it then maybe there would be more incentive to cut its costs or maybe people will work closer to home. the world will go on and it would be a better world.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:59 PM
pvs

Quote:
it has nothing to do with caring about other people. it has to do with letting things develop properly so that the users of a product or service can cover the cost and if thats not possible, then dont build it. things will work out better that way for everyone.
Gee, I wonder what the price of gas would be without the subsidies. I wonder how much roads would cost. It's always so easy to forget about the subsidies from which you personally benefit.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Gee, I wonder what the price of gas would be without the subsidies. I wonder how much roads would cost. It's always so easy to forget about the subsidies from which you personally benefit.
see, you think that because subsidies exist everyone wants them and needs them. its very sad that the government creates a dependency that people come to believe we cant live without. we can.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:48 PM

908 posts, read 1,829,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
I'm stuck here till my mother passes away - as I can't leave her, and she refuses to relocate South.
Your mother sounds like a very smart lady.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:17 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,076,477 times
Quote:
Believe me, EB, I feel your pain. I too travel to Queens and Long Island regularly, and have friends and relatives who visit me here in Jersey, and the tolls are really hurting. I have often wondered how the PA was keeping their prices down below the Verrazano, the Whitestone and the Throgs Neck, and why I had never heard a peep from anyone when those bridges' prices went up so high. I totally agree that this is just another tax, by a different name, and it was dealt to us by the "shared sacrifice" clubs in Trenton and Albany (and Manhattan).

But when it comes to the NY Daily News ... well come on. Do you actually believe the tripe printed in that scandal sheet? You have always come across as above that level. I thought when I showed you how the list you referenced didn't even include "SECURITY", you would see that it was complete hogwash. All the same, I can tell you are very p1ss3d, and I don't blame you for your emotions. But please, that list does not even make an attempt at being accurate in any way, which is probably why even the NYDN is ashamed to reprint it on the web. Yes, I DO think they print information bordering on scandalous... almost daily. They use the media to incite people who don't want to look any further for the truth, and they are very successful with that.

As for the PA ... well it seems they almost never post rebuttals to anything printed in the papers, especially the DN and the Post. I have seen this since the 1960s.

As for your question to MQ regarding the PATH Station at WTC. No EB, what you are seeing is a temporary jury-rigged stop. The planned station is going to be quite eye-catching, and I admit, I think it, too, is going to be money wasted when we can least afford it. But look at what MQ has posted about the funding. The tolls and PATH Fares are not really impacted by it, and were bound to be increased regardless.

Might I again remind you that, IMO, the Governors have driven this thing, with their new demands on the PA, which were never in its charter, and therefore never budgeted.
Great sports section, though.

Alright, if the NY Times printed a similar article, would it be acceptable from a "name" source. Don't forget - the tabloids have contacts in the NYPD, FDNY, mayor's office, etc. I don't think they pulled the PA spending chart out of thin air.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:55 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Less. Taxes and fees paid by drivers cover not only roads, but much of public transit as well. There's some part of road costs covered by general taxes, but they're largely paid by drivers too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey