Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2011, 06:36 PM

112 posts, read 134,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew.mensch View Post
I think their issue is more the fact that GE and Citibank pick up the phone and alter policy to their advantage... then GE makes billions in profit and gets a tax REFUND!

All while individuals, the REAL people (not corporations, sorry SCOTUS) are disregarded by the GOP and the Dems.
If they were that upset with GE why aren't the protesters calling for the resignation of Jeffrey Immelt? where are the calls from them asking Obama to call GE out on moving their x-ray operation to China? where are the calls from them to ask for accountability for Solyndra? at least the Banks paid back what they were given.

The difference between these go nowhere protesters and the Tea Party is this, the Tea Party has no problem calling out their own, many of us were furious that Bush went along with the Democrats over-spending after they took over the House in 07, we called them out then and we call them out now, the go nowhere protesters aren't calling their own out at all. And now the Democrats are going to glom on to this movement, along with the Unions, that equals fail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 06:41 PM

112 posts, read 134,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
seems like an act of desperation. the leftists have seen the tea party grow so fast to become so powerful and they want to counter it with their own "grassroots" sort of movement. so they are praying this will be some kind of powder keg that can put them back in control of government. i just dont see it happening. the unions must be nervous about what the future will hold with a conservative legislature and president.
The media that is covering it is making it seem like this movement is huge, sorry, but huge isn't 2,000 protesters. I attended a Tea Party protest a few years ago, we had over 5,000 people show up and the media said hundreds. They have no message and like it or not they're attacking those who add money to the economy and provide jobs, how many jobs have the protesters been able to generate?

Old 10-06-2011, 08:08 PM

143 posts, read 302,555 times
Occupy Wall Street for the win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-06-2011, 08:50 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,469,122 times
The only thing I see with these demonstrations is a bunch of disgruntled people who don't have a well thought out, articulated purpose for their protest other than to show that they are disgruntled.

The one thing that I'd like to see get more attention is the amount of influence lobbyists and special interests have in Washington. It's one of the most obvious problems in America but also one of the most overlooked.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:21 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,045,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabronie View Post
You said greed is good. It's not, I don't care who is defining greed incorrectly, correct them. The desire for success is one thing; Once you're successful, the desire for more (excess) is greed, and it's not a good model for a society to base itself on. I'll also argue the once the desire for $$ starts to skew your moral compass towards / dealing with fellow humans, it's not a positive thing either.
This is utter nonsense, and is also a straw man, and accordingly not even a good one. Who are you to define what is "successful" and what beyond which is "greedy"? It is up to the individual how much money he wishes to earn, and how much he wishes to accumulate. No amount is "greedy", except to those who are not good enough to earn it, and therefore seek to criticize those who do. We need more greedy hard working individuals who create solutions instead of those who seek to sacrifice everyone around them on the altar of their own incompetence.

I totally reject your proposition and identify it for what it is: moral bankruptcy. I do not accept that you have any right to judge what is "excessive" when it comes to another individual's ambition and desire. Keep that judgement to, and for, yourself. It has no jurisdiction anywhere else.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJerseyGrl View Post
If they were that upset with GE why aren't the protesters calling for the resignation of Jeffrey Immelt? where are the calls from them asking Obama to call GE out on moving their x-ray operation to China? where are the calls from them to ask for accountability for Solyndra? at least the Banks paid back what they were given.

The difference between these go nowhere protesters and the Tea Party is this, the Tea Party has no problem calling out their own, many of us were furious that Bush went along with the Democrats over-spending after they took over the House in 07, we called them out then and we call them out now, the go nowhere protesters aren't calling their own out at all. And now the Democrats are going to glom on to this movement, along with the Unions, that equals fail.
I am actually glad that the left wing unions and statists are hopping on the bandwagon of this useless movement. We already know what they are all about. The original message, though stupid, was energizing to a misguided segment of the population. That original message is now being absorbed and replaced with the time-honored, dreary, hackneyed, left wing slogans of the "oppressed" and the "downtrodden". Having been thus marginalized, the message will disappear, and so will the dopey protesters who thought they found a new way to complain.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:42 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,629,764 times
Quote:

JPMorgan Chase, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, US Bancorp, and Capital One Financial, that they were "eligible to complete the repayment process" for the capital they received under the Troubled Assets Relief Program (TARP). In other words, they would be allowed to pay back $68.3 billion. Even though they really owe $229.7 billion.
From the Wall Street journal.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:01 AM

Now THIS is the kind of individual I am talking about. The kind of individual the whiners on Wall St need to become. The kind of person who defines what it truly means to be an American.:

Preston Venzant, 47, who lost his job in Houston repairing commercial kitchen equipment, said he had decided not to apply for unemployment benefits over the objections of his wife.
“I don’t want the federal government giving me an incentive not to work, period,” he said. “My personal opinion is, you’re supposed to go find work, and if you can’t find it in the business that you were once in, be it a C.E.O. or a street sweeper, you have to find employment and your lifestyle has to change, so be it.”

From this article in the New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/07/bu...nted=2&_r=1&hp

Old 10-07-2011, 08:08 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,408,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
seems like an act of desperation. the leftists have seen the tea party grow so fast to become so powerful and they want to counter it with their own "grassroots" sort of movement. so they are praying this will be some kind of powder keg that can put them back in control of government. i just dont see it happening. the unions must be nervous about what the future will hold with a conservative legislature and president.
i think the unions will be surprised to realize that many of the protestors aren't exactly happy with the way some unions have effected some areas of this country as well. here's something interesting though, not 100% related: 'Retirement Heist': How Firms Trimmed Pensions : NPR

Old 10-07-2011, 08:10 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,408,732 times
Quote:

you do realize that Solyndra was part of a program that was more than $20B and the program was started by GWB right? Solyndra was a piece of an overall successful program that Obama continued, and that tiny piece of it failed. Not everyone the government gives a tax break to is going to succeed with the money, that's true of tax cuts too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey