Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2011, 07:46 PM

112 posts, read 135,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I did not say anything about 99 weeks... I agree, you should be able to find work within a year at the very most.

The guy in question forgoed his unemployment from day one. It is something that he paid money towards every week while working. It is very stupid to not collect it.

I am not missing the point here, you are.
I know it's probably old fashioned, but some people have pride and don't want a hand-out of any kind. Like I said, I have no problem helping people out when they need it, but when it turns into something that's continuous? yeah people have a problem with that. I refuse to find fault with this man because he was too proud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 08:01 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,161,132 times
I should go down there, I used to work in corporate for over 20 years making a pretty decent salary till I was laidoff 2 years ago. I received a good severance, but it ran out ... And, then I got sick w/a false diagnosis and that drained my savings- medical bills suck.

I wasn't able to find another job with what I used to do, so I went back to school FT and man, I'm broke ... LOL!! I'm working TWO jobs now, but I'm still not making what I used to make. It sucks. I have no debt, but I have no real savings either ...

It is what it is, at least I'm still standing on my own two feet ...

Old 10-07-2011, 08:09 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,772,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJerseyGrl View Post
I know it's probably old fashioned, but some people have pride and don't want a hand-out of any kind. Like I said, I have no problem helping people out when they need it, but when it turns into something that's continuous? yeah people have a problem with that. I refuse to find fault with this man because he was too proud.
It is not a handout when you pay into it.

This is like taking out car insurance, totaling a car, and then buying a new one without collecting the insurance payout...

Old 10-07-2011, 09:15 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
That is one of the stupidest things I have ever read. People pay into unemployment. It is supposed to be a form of insurance. Not taking it is really, really, stupid and there is nothing commendable about that
He probably didn't actually pay in to it. Most states the employee pays nothing in to unemployment. We are just lucky in NJ.

But regardless, I don't see anything wrong with collecting unemployment. If someone thinks collecting it makes them not look for a job they must be extremely weak minded.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:24 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,047,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
He probably didn't actually pay in to it. Most states the employee pays nothing in to unemployment. We are just lucky in NJ.

But regardless, I don't see anything wrong with collecting unemployment. If someone thinks collecting it makes them not look for a job they must be extremely weak minded.
I know several people who have been collecting, and collecting, and collecting. And working part time cash jobs on the side to supplement while basically taking it easy. This is a common practice. Illegal? You bet. And who cares? Nobody.

99 weeks of payouts is not unemployment, it is welfare.

Unemployment benefits should not exist. Saving money for use during periods of unemployment should be an individual responsibility. Unemployment simply makes it easy to sit on your you know what, turning down jobs that you don't like, but which you would take in a heartbeat were it not for the welfare check.

And please nobody tell me that you paid in. In most areas you either do not pay in, pay in a putrescent amount that does not begin to cover the cost of the benefit, or employers are taxed to cover most of the expense. Making them inefficient and non-competitive and contributing one more factor towards transferring jobs abroad.

Providing income to out-of-work people is not a legitimate function of government. A job is not a right and not a guarantee. It is simply a relationship between one person and another. A free relationship that should be subject to termination by either party for any or no reason.

But once again, the left has transmogrified the concept, seeking to make rights out of thin air where none exist. Rights that are to be paid for. By who? By whoever.

The protesters are able to fantastically claim a right to a "living wage". A RIGHT!!!!! To a LIVING WAGE!!!!. At whose expense? Whoever HAS IT! We'll just define them as "the rich". And we'll simply take it away from them using the police power of the state. Why? Because they have it. And we need it.

THAT is what the "Occupy Wall St" imbeciles are really after. Disgusting to a degree that is difficult to describe without expletives.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:38 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,631,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJerseyGrl View Post
Very easily when you have a spouse that works.
I take it that your upset with people that were forced to pay for unemployment INSURANCE that lost their jobs most likey through no fault of their own now receiving the insurance. So if you get in an accident you wouldn't use your insurance. Some people have paid that insurance for 30 years and were thrown out the door by companies in the name of corporate profits.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:38 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
the concept of "you pay in" to unemployment is a little bit wishy washy especially now thats its been extended from 26 weeks to 99 weeks. when it was 26 weeks and economy was fine, it was an expense the company paid for that was consistent and manageable. now that its extended, companies are paying much more and are being hit with big fees because the state governments are taking loans to cover the additional benefits. plus i believe the federal government is subsidizing unemployment now so thats coming from general taxpayer money. now, one could say employees pay for it because its a compensation expense of employers that gets factored into everything and impacts employee income. but at 99 weeks, i dont think thats a fair characterization. oh and another thing that goes against this "insurance" concept is the fact that unemployment courts always lean towards giving the employee the benefits. there are rules that go with getting benefits, not everyone is eligible. but a lot of times courts give the benefits to people who dont deserve it. its not insurance anymore.

in that one guys example, i think he should have taken the unemployment while trying to get a new job. its there so you know tons of low lifes will abuse the system, you may as well use it properly.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:42 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,047,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I take it that your upset with people that were forced to pay for unemployment INSURANCE that lost their jobs most likey through no fault of their own now receiving the insurance. So if you get in an accident you wouldn't use your insurance. Some people have paid that insurance for 30 years and were thrown out the door by companies in the name of corporate profits.
Paying for insurance and collecting a benefit when a legitimate claim exists is fine. Unemployment "insurance" that is effectively paid for by taxpayers and basically amounts to a entitlement program? Not fine.

Unemployment insurance should be just that: insurance. Provided by a private insurance company and funded and paid for entirely by premiums collected. And completely optional, not mandatory. Just like every other form of insurance. The taxpayers should never be on the hook for it.

Insurance is a great idea. Unemployment insurance is a great idea. Welfare disguised as insurance and administered by the government? That has to go.

And finally the people "thrown out the door" "through no fault of their own" concept is irrational. A job is not a right. It is a temporary relationship that exists between 2 parties to provide and pay for a service. Once one of the parties no longer needs or wants the relationship, it should be over at no penalty to either party. Nobody has a right to a job. Ever.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:48 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,631,008 times
Unemployment "insurance" that is effectively paid for by taxpayers and basically amounts to a entitlement program? Not fine.

I'm glad i never had to collect it. BUT after being forced to pay for it by the state for almost 40 years(i wouldn't pay for it if i had a choice) I find it a tad bit silly that some people think I was a lowlife bompy if I was laid off and applied for my insurance. So the state took that money over 40 years and blew it that's should be their problem not mine. OTOH do I think that someone who worked 3 or 4 months should collect for 99 weeks-no.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:23 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,078,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I know several people who have been collecting, and collecting, and collecting. And working part time cash jobs on the side to supplement while basically taking it easy. This is a common practice. Illegal? You bet. And who cares? Nobody.

99 weeks of payouts is not unemployment, it is welfare.

Unemployment benefits should not exist. Saving money for use during periods of unemployment should be an individual responsibility. Unemployment simply makes it easy to sit on your you know what, turning down jobs that you don't like, but which you would take in a heartbeat were it not for the welfare check.

And please nobody tell me that you paid in. In most areas you either do not pay in, pay in a putrescent amount that does not begin to cover the cost of the benefit, or employers are taxed to cover most of the expense. Making them inefficient and non-competitive and contributing one more factor towards transferring jobs abroad.

Providing income to out-of-work people is not a legitimate function of government. A job is not a right and not a guarantee. It is simply a relationship between one person and another. A free relationship that should be subject to termination by either party for any or no reason.

But once again, the left has transmogrified the concept, seeking to make rights out of thin air where none exist. Rights that are to be paid for. By who? By whoever.

The protesters are able to fantastically claim a right to a "living wage". A RIGHT!!!!! To a LIVING WAGE!!!!. At whose expense? Whoever HAS IT! We'll just define them as "the rich". And we'll simply take it away from them using the police power of the state. Why? Because they have it. And we need it.

THAT is what the "Occupy Wall St" imbeciles are really after. Disgusting to a degree that is difficult to describe without expletives.
Again, your right-wing ideology gets in the way of the fact that at the end of Bush/beginning of Obama presidency, after a fake, bubble real estate-based economy that you happily participated in, we were losing 750K jobs a month. Millions of those good-paying jobs are never coming back. Corporations have not re-hired because they're working the "leftovers" to the bone and sitting on a few trillion in cash. But it's the average American who should just "rise above" regardless of the economic circumstances (without massive government help it would've been Great Depression II) and greed of big business in America. But there are plenty of greeter jobs at Wal Mart, right?

And if you think the avg. New Jerseyan can live on unemployment, you've been smoking too much of the weed that the OWS hippies are passing around
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey