Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2011, 05:47 AM

6 posts, read 6,306 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone.

A job opportunity has come up for me in Plainsboro, so I've been looking at apartments. I don't know that much about the area, just what I've found on Google and things like that, so any advice as to where I should be looking to live is appreciated. I'm a single, 24-year-old girl and I'd be living on my own, so safety is one of my main concerns. While I much prefer an urban environment, I'd rather live in a safe suburban area and drive/take transportation to entertainment, nightlife, etc.

From what I've read online/seen on this forum, Plainsboro has an abundance of apartment complexes (Ravens Crest, Deer Creek, Quail Ridge, Hunters Glen, etc). The rent seems reasonable on them, but it seems like they all have really terrible reviews on apartmentratings.com and it's kind of put me off them. I was wondering if any of you had any experience with any of these places and what my best bet would be.

The majority of apartment listings on Craigslist and other sites seem to be these complexes, so it was hard to find other apartment options.

My budget would be $1000-$1200 and I'll have a car. I currently commute 30 minutes each way to work, so I'm not opposed to doing the same with the Plainsboro job if there's another nearby area I should check into that might have better/different options for an apartment.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 06:40 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
If you don't want the complexes in Plaisnboro, you may want to check out some of the ones in Princeton. Princeton Mews is very nice. Not sure if that fits in your budget though.

I actually don't think the places in Plainsboro are that bad. I lived in Deer Creek for about 6 months a few years back and I know someone who lives there now. It is fine. Nothing great, but nothing too bad.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:45 AM

901 posts, read 2,248,897 times
I lived in Fox Run (Plainsboro) for several years in my twenties/early thirties. Plainsboro in general is a very nice place to live, quiet, safe but close to major shopping and downtown Princeton.

Plainsboro has a lot of parks for recreation if you're into that. They have a few shopping areas for basic needs and a new town center with a great library. Walking trails, dog park, and lots of softball fields. Not to mention the best schools in Central Jersey. Not that you'll have kids here, it's just a sign that it's a good area and well managed. It's clean, green and attractive.

As far as the apartments, they're pretty much all the same. Basic, not fancy but safe and good, they all have a pool and tennis courts. The make up of residents are for the most part; young professionals and young families (a lot of Indians and Asians) taking advantage of the highly rated schools.

Come see for yourself, drive around a bit. I think you'll find it will suit your needs.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:07 PM

6 posts, read 6,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
If you don't want the complexes in Plaisnboro, you may want to check out some of the ones in Princeton. Princeton Mews is very nice. Not sure if that fits in your budget though.

I actually don't think the places in Plainsboro are that bad. I lived in Deer Creek for about 6 months a few years back and I know someone who lives there now. It is fine. Nothing great, but nothing too bad.
Thanks for the info. It's good to know that the places aren't as bad as those reviews say. Some of them made it seem like I'd be moving into something straight out of The Wire. (I'm exaggerating a little there, but you get the point, haha.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post
I lived in Fox Run (Plainsboro) for several years in my twenties/early thirties. Plainsboro in general is a very nice place to live, quiet, safe but close to major shopping and downtown Princeton.

Plainsboro has a lot of parks for recreation if you're into that. They have a few shopping areas for basic needs and a new town center with a great library. Walking trails, dog park, and lots of softball fields. Not to mention the best schools in Central Jersey. Not that you'll have kids here, it's just a sign that it's a good area and well managed. It's clean, green and attractive.

As far as the apartments, they're pretty much all the same. Basic, not fancy but safe and good, they all have a pool and tennis courts. The make up of residents are for the most part; young professionals and young families (a lot of Indians and Asians) taking advantage of the highly rated schools.

Come see for yourself, drive around a bit. I think you'll find it will suit your needs.
Thanks for the reply and thanks for the extra info on Plainsboro. I'll be in the area before the job starts, so I'll definitely take a longer look and drive around some more.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:15 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,053,778 times
I agree with all the above

Plainsboro is about as safe as the 'burbs can get.
The Mews at Princeton Jct. might be a bit over your price point.
Princeton New Jersey Apartments - The Mews At Princeton Junction

I have a friend who lives at Hunters Glen and she is quite happy there.

There is ample shopping opportunities in nearby West Windsor and the town of Princeton is about a 10-15 minute drive away.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:04 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Correction. I actually lived in Fox Run, not Deer Creek. I knew it was some kind of animal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: