Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 07:18 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael212 View Post
Point blank knowing the Confederates represented the Southern U.S. and they disrespected black people back then, even though today blacks fail to take advantage of what they have and complain about it, I think she should still suffer the full consequences of her actions. It's not okay that we still have stuff like this and the KKK still lounging around in parts of the U.S.!!! And this in itself is pure disrespect to what the United States of America currently stands for.
What do blacks fail to take advantage of, and what do they complain about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 08:05 AM

332 posts, read 528,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
What do blacks fail to take advantage of, and what do they complain about?
I'm a black man saying this myself. In general, blacks in dangerous cities tend to be the ones who make those cities the way they are. It's a sad but honest truth.

I find out only a few times, but too many times in which, for example, a white cop kills a black man, and while the white cop gets acquitted anyway, the black community including the church sides with the black man and protest because they believe racism is involved. Ok, so back in slavery white people treated us like dogs and called us a bunch of names which I won't put here on City-Data. 1863 Abraham enacts the Emancipation Proclamation to end slavery, 100 years later Martin Luther King makes his "I Have A Dream" speech, two years later, segregation becomes illegal. Good for us black people and something whites have to live with in America. Even after 1965 there's still racial issues involved even today, yet over the years they have declined.

Yes, there are some white people who should still need to give the black community a little more respect. But, at the same time, I've come to realize that while a majority of them have what we don't, after 1965, within U.S. law, whites are not obligated to give us jack. Say what you will, but here's another truth you should realize.

When I read the stats online and find out that some of the best places in america are overwhelmingly white or mixture of other races and so few black people, versus some of the most dangerous cities in america with about an equal or majoity black population and not as many whites, the white people pretty much grew out of the racist culture now. Now, some of our people have to deal with other issues, especially when we turn against each other. But again, the point I must make is a good number of us blacks really need to do more if we're going to be as successful as some of these other races ahead of us because honestly, while I praise the black people who do well, the ones that are not so much really need to improve and stop acting that something will come to them just like that knowing very well they have to earn it like people of all races have. Especially in this economy.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:18 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
and the KKK still lounging around in parts of the U.S.!!!
do we really?

Old 11-17-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
do we really?
Yeah but they're a very small group now.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Yeah but they're a very small group now.
probably just a few losers that sit around drinking beer complaining about blacks and jews one night a week. if they arent committing acts of crime, i dont want to hear people complaining about the kkk. i dont see it being an issue today.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:11 AM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times
What if the girl came in to school with a swastika shirt? I wonder if the same people defending her now for the "Confederate Flag" shirt would be so quick to defend her on wearing a swastika to class.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
probably just a few losers that sit around drinking beer complaining about blacks and jews one night a week. if they arent committing acts of crime, i dont want to hear people complaining about the kkk. i dont see it being an issue today.
At least there's none of them in Jersey.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
What if the girl came in to school with a swastika shirt? I wonder if the same people defending her now for the "Confederate Flag" shirt would be so quick to defend her on wearing a swastika to class.
my guess is that they wouldnt because those people dont see the confederate flag being anything like the swastika.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:36 AM

668 posts, read 471,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
We have a guy who walks around our town wearing a swastika on his arm... known in these parts as the Hamilton Nazi... people basically leave him alone....

Old 11-17-2011, 12:03 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,966,421 times
I think this lady, Jane West, is full of crap.

In the first article covering this story, she was quoted as saying:

Quote:
"The Indian kids wear their turbans. The Jewish kids wear their yarmulkes. That’s their birthright...I told him that Torri was born in Virginia. That flag is her heritage and I’m not telling her to take it off."
To me, she loses credibility right there. Her turbans & yarmulkes example is not analogous at all to wearing a rebel flag to school. Wearing a turban or a yarmulke is exercising your freedom of religion. It's analogous to wearing a cross necklace to school, or going to school with ashes on your forehead on Ash Wednesday. It frightens me that this lady now wants to home school her daughter. How can you be an educator when you're not even capable of logic?

I'm also not buying that the stars & bars here is about expressing her heritage, or pride in Virginia. Give me damn break. I doubt this lady can express anything intelligent about the Civil War, U.S. history or "southern heritage". If she CAN, I'll be a little less skeptical about her true motives. If the stars & bars were truly ONLY a symbol of "southern heritage" or "southern pride", southern blacks would be flying it too. The reality is that this flag does have racial implications. Sorry.

Can I walk around with a swastika on my shirt because it's an ancient Buddhist symbol representing good luck? Can I explain to people that I am merely expressing my Buddhist pride, and that it's not my fault that the Nazis appropriated it for their cause? If I wear a swastika shirt to school and they make me turn it inside out, or suspend me, can I sue too?

Is that scenario too extreme? OK. Can I go to school in the south wearing a shirt that says "You lost the war. Get over it.", as a means of expressing my northern pride, since I was born in NJ, and that is my heritage? Can I wear this shirt without any consequences?

One of my biggest pet peeves in life is when people invoke their "First Amendment rights!!!" (exclamation point, exclamation point, exclamation point) and "freedom of speech" to justify saying and doing whatever they want without any consequences, and to justify exempting themselves from whatever rule happens to not suit them that day.

This lady's daughter has the "freedom of speech" to wear her rebel flag sweatshirt. On the street, in a diner, in a movie theater, at the supermarket, at the mall...she's not breaking any rules. At school? At work? Yeah--she might be breaking a rule. It's your prerogative to break that rule. But then be prepared to accept the consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey