Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 05:33 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,045,275 times

Advertisements

Demographics?

is it quiet? or lots of crime?

Shopping or downtown area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 02:36 PM

332 posts, read 528,744 times
I used to live in Plainfield, which is next to both towns, and I have a couple friends and family down in Piscataway. Dunellen's nice and safe, but it's pretty small compared to Piscataway.

Piscataway has been listed as one of the top 25 places to live in the United States by Money magazine. You'll find the list at money.cnn.com. It's a very diverse township and is the home of Rutgers University, which the rest of the campus is in neighboring New Brunswick. The schools are nice, the township is a clean unsanitary place for the most part, and the parks and homes are beautiful. I'd also recommend Edison which is right next to Piscataway and it's actually been on Money magazine's list twice. Plus Edison has Menlo Park Mall which is off Route 1.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:40 PM

19,120 posts, read 25,316,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael212 View Post
The schools are nice, the township is a clean unsanitary place for the most part, and the parks and homes are beautiful.
Clean, unsanitary? Hmmm...that is a curious combination of factors.
Is it possible that you meant to say that Piscataway is clean and sanitary?

In any event, I can add that Dunellen has a downtown--of sorts--unlike Piscataway. However, whether you would actually find much that was worth buying in Dunellen's downtown area is another question entirely.

And...the schools in Piscataway are...okay...but they are a far cry from those in Edison.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:47 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,024,527 times
I used to live in Piscataway, had some problems in the complex I was in. Stay away from the Plainfield border. Piscataway's schools are decent (taught at Grandview for one year), good teachers. Student body is rather mixed, with some Plainfield elements sneaking in, but that makes it all the more of a melting pot. The town is rather large, about 55K people. I would concentrate on the areas south of I-287 where it is a little quieter and the housing is more desirable. Most of your shopping is along Stelton Rd (CR 529) since 287 is really the only major highway that runs through the township. It is not a high-crime area, although it definitely has quite a bit more crime than most other towns in the area since it shares a pretty head-on border with Plainfield, and that area is dicey, but that aside the town is clean and well-kept. Money Magazine is a joke.

Dunellen also touches Plainfield. Some nice older houses with character, but it always seemed very blue collar. My girlfriend had something to do there one day and made a wrong turn and ended up in Plainfield. It is very small, so just be careful there since you are hop, skip & jump from a bad neighborhood.

I would look next door in Edison. More of a solid town with less crime and much better schools.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:57 AM

332 posts, read 528,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Clean, unsanitary? Hmmm...that is a curious combination of factors.
Is it possible that you meant to say that Piscataway is clean and sanitary?

In any event, I can add that Dunellen has a downtown--of sorts--unlike Piscataway. However, whether you would actually find much that was worth buying in Dunellen's downtown area is another question entirely.

And...the schools in Piscataway are...okay...but they are a far cry from those in Edison.
Yes I meant to say sanitary... sorry for the error!

Old 01-01-2012, 03:06 PM

303 posts, read 919,834 times
I heard a lot of illegals were going to Piscataway.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:22 PM

19,120 posts, read 25,316,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPickle View Post

Hmmm...Where did you pick up this gem of information?
Is the source credible?
Why have "a lot of illegals" supposedly chosen Piscataway?

Old 01-01-2012, 07:29 PM

279 posts, read 1,086,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPickle View Post
Hmmm is right. I wonder how that conversation came up...."Hey man did you hear a lot of illegal immigrants plan to move into Piscataway, NJ???...from what I hear, they are targeting Piscataway....not Dunellen, just Piscataway."

I have lived here all my life (38 now) and love it.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:08 AM

1,495 posts, read 5,045,275 times
THanks for the info. I'm going to have to take a trip to both towns soon to see what they are like.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:49 AM

303 posts, read 919,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmgvr4 View Post
Hmmm is right. I wonder how that conversation came up...."Hey man did you hear a lot of illegal immigrants plan to move into Piscataway, NJ???...from what I hear, they are targeting Piscataway....not Dunellen, just Piscataway."

I have lived here all my life (38 now) and love it.
To Retriever and dsmgvr4:

Deportation Lawyers in Piscataway NJ | LegalMatch Attorney Finder
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey